SUV Battle: 200 vs 300, and everything else (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

a set of arb lockers in front and rear and the
That was the best part about watching that G destroy the course. Remember road tires aside, in all the AMGs suspension is tuned for street use not articulation.
The channel is usually really good about tire parity and wont take slicks mudding like some of the others and wonder whats wrong.
Im still a fan however because doing these massive real life offroad comparisons is rare for SUVs when ppl are looking for meaningless 0-60 times.
for an extra $5k you could triple lock a 200 or 300…then it would do better than the g while still being “under the radar” and reliable.

a set of arb lockers in front and rear and the

for an extra $5k you could triple lock a 200 or 300…then it would do better than the g while still being “under the radar” and reliable.

We need triple locked 300 GR-S footage. Bad.

I read “The Millionaire Next Door” waaaay back in 1990-something. One of the more common vehicles millionaires drove back then was a used Toyota. It always stuck with me that low-key and understated are calling cards of the wealthy. The rich flock to flashier displays of wealth…especially in their vehicle choices.
As a 26 year old with a great job at UPS as a driver and owner of an 80 series and a Rav4 5 Speed, I feel a lot better about my choices when it comes to what I drive after reading that book and the books that the author wrote all those years ago. I have the means to purchase a brand new $40k 4Runner and if I stretched I could afford a 200 Series (before pandemic pricing). I choose to instead spend that money on an 80 series which to me is the pinnacle. I see all my friends taking out loans and buying brand new cars, I do get jealous, but I keep my eyes on the prize and appreciate the two titles I have in my hand instead of a car payment. Great books.

As a 26 year old with a great job at UPS as a driver and owner of an 80 series and a Rav4 5 Speed, I feel a lot better about my choices when it comes to what I drive after reading that book and the books that the author wrote all those years ago. I have the means to purchase a brand new $40k 4Runner and if I stretched I could afford a 200 Series (before pandemic pricing). I choose to instead spend that money on an 80 series which to me is the pinnacle. I see all my friends taking out loans and buying brand new cars, I do get jealous, but I keep my eyes on the prize and appreciate the two titles I have in my hand instead of a car payment. Great books.
Smart. Too many 26 year olds stretch to get the new car or other depreciating assets. Take the extra funds and invest them. Future you will appreciate the nest egg you started accumulating early due to all the extra years of compounding.

Smart. Too many 26 year olds stretch to get the new car or other depreciating assets. Take the extra funds and invest them. Future you will appreciate the nest egg you started accumulating early due to all the extra years of compounding.
I've been wanting to buy a house, for 200k or less (don't want to have "too much house"), and it's probably the worst time to buy a home. I plan on retiring at 52, with my 80 still running of course. Move to a cabin somewhere, or at least a Ranch house made of logs. I appreciate the support, it's too easy to get into new car payments.

This test may not have put Cruisers in the best light. In my mind, they didn't fairly use the full suite of tools available in the Cruisers, like they did in other cars.

In terms of traction aids, LCs have the following suite of tools in order of increasing aggressiveness. Some of these can be mixed and matched so it's not a purely sequential choice: ATRAC, 4LO, MTS, Center Diff Lock, CRAWL.

We enthusiasts know that CRAWL is our most aggressive tool. A soft locker, and what Toyota has generally chosen to implement in lieu of real lockers. Perhaps arguably less capable in some scenarios, but arguably more capable in others like sand, side slips, etc. Point is that it is the equivalent to lockers for our platform.

Why the comparo authors choose not to highlight this big-gun capability on the cruiser, while reaching for the equivalent big-guns on others like 3x locking for the G wagon? Either would have surely made easy work of the cross diagonal situation.

Sure, Toyota could have made the ATRAC or MTS more aggressive and work like the Land Rovers. Why they didn't is perhaps conscious design decisions or Toyota philosophy? Just like the absence of real lockers in the USDM market cruisers? Perhaps the layered technology approach allows us more control in what tools to deploy when? I would agree it's less easy than Land Rovers system.

Just saying that this may not be fair and is misleading for the general public that could assume LCs can't handle what is ultimately an easy obstacle with deployment of the right tools.

I've been wanting to buy a house, for 200k or less (don't want to have "too much house"), and it's probably the worst time to buy a home. I plan on retiring at 52, with my 80 still running of course. Move to a cabin somewhere, or at least a Ranch house made of logs. I appreciate the support, it's too easy to get into new car payments.
Yes, probably not the best time to buy, other than interest rates being very low. If you plan to own for the long haul, the low interest can help to offset higher costs.

If you are also planning to stay in a house long term, you still may be better off buying rather than renting, but there is a lot of analysis to determining that (e.g., interest deduction benefit vs standard deduction, building equity vs future repair cost, odds you will want to move out of area or into bigger house, etc...).

Yes, probably not the best time to buy, other than interest rates being very low. If you plan to own for the long haul, the low interest can help to offset higher costs.

If you are also planning to stay in a house long term, you still may be better off buying rather than renting, but there is a lot of analysis to determining that (e.g., interest deduction benefit vs standard deduction, building equity vs future repair cost, odds you will want to move out of area or into bigger house, etc...).
Rent prices, at least around here in eastern MA, are through the roof, partly because house prices are also through the roof. I suspect rent prices won't come down as quickly as house prices would if/when the house market settles down again, so buying is likely to be a good move in most cases. Unfortunately, $200K wouldn't buy much of a house out this way, but that's part of the reason why incomes are adjusted based on where you live.

This test may not have put Cruisers in the best light. In my mind, they didn't fairly use the full suite of tools available in the Cruisers, like they did in other cars.

In terms of traction aids, LCs have the following suite of tools in order of increasing aggressiveness. Some of these can be mixed and matched so it's not a purely sequential choice: ATRAC, 4LO, MTS, Center Diff Lock, CRAWL.

We enthusiasts know that CRAWL is our most aggressive tool. A soft locker, and what Toyota has generally chosen to implement in lieu of real lockers. Perhaps arguably less capable in some scenarios, but arguably more capable in others like sand, side slips, etc. Point is that it is the equivalent to lockers for our platform.

Why the comparo authors choose not to highlight this big-gun capability on the cruiser, while reaching for the equivalent big-guns on others like 3x locking for the G wagon? Either would have surely made easy work of the cross diagonal situation.

Sure, Toyota could have made the ATRAC or MTS more aggressive and work like the Land Rovers. Why they didn't is perhaps conscious design decisions or Toyota philosophy? Just like the absence of real lockers in the USDM market cruisers? Perhaps the layered technology approach allows us more control in what tools to deploy when? I would agree it's less easy than Land Rovers system.

Just saying that this may not be fair and is misleading for the general public that could assume LCs can't handle what is ultimately an easy obstacle with deployment of the right tools.

Theres a lot to pick on for sure.
I agree with you that a lot of the capability of the 200-300 has to be manually selected. The standard VSC system is highly limited for road manners so well just let that slide (pun intended) but everything above that on the chain you mentioned is meh until CRAWL control. Theres a whole lot of conversation out there about which locker (F/C/R) is best to have if it were limited to just one and Im not sure center diff locker is it personally if thats all that was available. But it does kind of proves your point that I think Toyota intends these systems to be used in conjunction with each other versus the strictly mechanical G or the almost purely electronic LR systems. 4LO, center locked with MTS on would do just fine while providing safe steering input, modulated throttle control, and independent corner vectoring. I guess the question becomes wether or not that is a good UX decision but for the percentage that see dirt I guess it makes sense to bury those things. I know I sure as hell didn't know how to use any of those things properly when i first got my 470. Ill have to rewatch those portions of the video but it is nice that on some of the models that they did nothing but drive. The 300 does have a terrain detection mode if im not mistaken, but LR has had theirs for much much longer and im not surprised by the results.

God i wish i had my own auto channel on YT!

I read “The Millionaire Next Door” waaaay back in 1990-something. One of the more common vehicles millionaires drove back then was a used Toyota. It always stuck with me that low-key and understated are calling cards of the wealthy. The rich flock to flashier displays of wealth…especially in their vehicle choices.
I agree that many people just want to flash the success. That’s for people who lack self-confidence, self-worth and or trying appear rich when they have an underfunded retirement plan. Great book all young folks should read as well. The only issue I have is that people are told to hide wealth by driving boring cars. Just because someone likes driving luxurious/sporty vehicles doesn’t mean they are doing it to flaunt wealth. It almost seems people are just jealous others are enjoying what they’ve earned and shame them for it. Everyone buys things for different reasons and in today’s society it’s frowned upon. Well hells bells, do we all want everyone wearing the same clothes, drive the same boring cars and wear Casio watches. Class warfare is heating up and if someone lives in a big city, I would certainly feel a lot better parking a 200 series then a G-Wagon on the city streets.

Did anyone else notice that the 300 has 6-lug wheels?

I think this video at 3:30 has the same 200 doing the same hill with crawl control.

I agree that many people just want to flash the success. That’s for people who lack self-confidence, self-worth and or trying appear rich when they have an underfunded retirement plan. Great book all young folks should read as well. The only issue I have is that people are told to hide wealth by driving boring cars.
Ironic contribution considering your updated avatar. 😂

Ironic contribution considering your updated avatar. 😂
🤪 Just do as I say, not as I do. 😂 Never be ashamed to share your hard work. Just be humble about it. My wife finds it’s hilarious when we are out for a jog and other men will cover their partners eyes when coming towards us. All in good fun.

🤪 Just do as I say, not as I do. 😂 Never be ashamed to share your hard work. Just be humble about it. My wife finds it’s hilarious when we are out for a jog and other men will cover their partners eyes when coming towards us. All in good fun.

FYI a guy on Shutterstock stole your photo. All over UK body hair removal sites too :eek:

0*HM5_0ReA6SIlrc9C.jpg

I would like to purchase a Series 300 Toyota Land Cruiser here in the USA through the Toyota USA Dealer Network.

I would like to pay in cash.

Please give me the change in cash small U.S. bills $5.00, $10.00 and $20.00 will be fine.

Thanks for the fantasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom