Suspension suggestions wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I've got a franken-lift. FJBen did a sick(as in great) job on the suspension before I bought it from him. I actually have dropped both rear springs out of the back completely on a couple trails. Not both at the same time, though.

I wanted to see what people's suggestions would be for what to do to prevent this from happening. Should I just capture the bottoms of the springs and reattach the rear sway bar, or should I use limiting straps? Or...? The rear shocks are 14" travel Bilsteins, and the rear is the only part of the suspension that I am considering messing with.

If I have left out any info, or you want more info, let me know. FJBen might be able to provide some better info and pics of what I'm talking about.

Tabs where and how? Any photos?

Those tabs are basically a peice of strap metal from the inside(raised portion) of where the spring sits, over the top of the spring, to the outside of the bracket that the spring sets on.

sorta like this.
60_13_popup.jpg

Those tabs are basically a peice of strap metal from the inside(raised portion) of where the spring sits, over the top of the spring, to the outside of the bracket that the spring sets on.

That's what we did on Rob's, only used the center hole in the spring perch. Edited the above pic to show what the finished part looks like. If you have a welder, just weld it on and "screw" the bottom of the spring into it.
s_retain.jpg
s_retain1.jpg

Personally, I would capture both the top and bottom of the spring for stability and leave the sway-bar off. No need for limiting straps. You will be much happier when you drop off a ledge!

Someone said that capturing both top and bottom will shorten spring life... don't know the validity of it...

Exactly what are you gaining by retraining both ends?

It will make it so all of the flex is controlled, instead of the suspension unloading and causing a hairy situation...

Kind of like having a leaf spring :hillbilly:

What are you doing with the front? 14" travel is huge on just one end - 12" rear shocks might be a better match instead of the longer shock and retained upper mount to limit the travel of said 14" shock.

Of course, there are always 6" springs, too :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom