Suspension setup advice needed (Slee 4" Lift) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud,

I hope you all had a great Christmas. My 96 cruiser is almost done being "baselined" and the first stop will be at Slee. My first thought was to have my new 4" lift shipped to nor cal and installed by the local well known cruiser shop. However after shipping and install cost it would have been in the 3k range. This is were making it a vacation to CO @sleeoffroad and stoping by to visit @cruiserdan at the museum on the way home starts to make sense.

So before I call Amory for the final wish list I need some suggestions.

I am going to be running Method 17x9 105 beadlocks w/ BFG KM3 37x12.5R17's
Thinking stock gears for now unless needed as it's plenty powerful, maybe the new head by the PO helped.
King adjustable shocks front and rear with stabilizer.
DBA rotors, Need suggestions on pads.
Slee 4" lift w/ heavy springs due to rear Slee bumper/tire and LRA tank (24 gallon) that I am going to have Georg install at Valley Hybrids.

Then comes the options. Mainly the Slee front control arms that come with the 6" lift kit, however I have seen threads that say these limit clearance.
I also see there are new rear HD control arms from slee.
I have also been told that I should have a delta panhard bracket installed, amongst other non Slee parts... Which I am not believing I need all that.

I am going to have Slee install bumpers, winch, sliders, belly pan, dual battery, etc. While I am there so I want to make sure I am choosing the right suspension setup since it's a big check and I won't get a second visit any time soon.

I know how a search button works, however I want input for my setup from members who have spent the time and money already. I am grateful for the resource and continued help.

*Truck will currently be used for camping and light trail duty. However I want room to grow as I get more into the hobby/events.

Some notes:

-37s with stock gears will absolutely suck. Since it will be used for "light trail duty" I'd stick with 35s max. If you have to have 37s for unnecessary reasons (trust me I get it) absolutely gear down or the truck will be a total dog.

-Kings shocks are fantastic, best you can get.

-OEM pads are best, I would get OEM rotors over DBA too. Some people run 100 series pads, but that is retarded imo.

-You will absolutely need to address the rear panhard with that much lift or you will be allover the place. The delta bracket is the best option, but there are others too.

-Delta also makes arms, I run them and they are pretty perfect.

Are you getting the full slee kit or just the springs? A lot goes into correcting geometry once passed 3" of lift and anything in the 6" territory is even more exacerbated. To be entirely honest it seems like 6 inches of lift is completely unnecessary for your goals and may lead to a lot of other issues you seem unaware of. These will all require additional $$ to be thrown at them.

Some notes:

-37s with stock gears will absolutely suck. Since it will be used for "light trail duty" I'd stick with 35s max. If you have to have 37s for unnecessary reasons (trust me I get it) absolutely gear down or the truck will be a total dog.

-Kings shocks are fantastic, best you can get.

-OEM pads are best, I would get OEM rotors over DBA too. Some people run 100 series pads, but that is retarded imo.

-You will absolutely need to address the rear panhard with that much lift or you will be allover the place. The delta bracket is the best option, but there are others too.

-Delta also makes arms, I run them and they are pretty perfect.

Are you getting the full slee kit or just the springs? A lot goes into correcting geometry once passed 3" of lift and anything in the 6" territory is even more exacerbated. To be entirely honest it seems like 6 inches of lift is completely unnecessary for your goals and may lead to a lot of other issues you seem unaware of. These will all require additional $$ to be thrown at them.

Yes, I just want 37's... Hugh won't even defend myself lol.

I am planning on a full 4" Slee kit less the OME shocks. So far I am planning to sub caster plates to Slee control arms and maybe upgrading the rears to the new HD ones.

Last edited:
4.88s at least. Gearing is everything. It’s the very first thing I did to mine (4.88 nitro)
Sounds like you got one hell of a transformation planned out. I personally think that amount of effort and money into a rig without a re-gear is crazy.
Just my opinion, it’s your truck so rock on either way. 🤘

Nothing against Slee but look at getting the @Delta VS front radius arms. I have heard great things from people that have installed them and from people that are using them. Before you spend that much coin look around into different setup and ask people in your area that have the same setup if you can drive their LC or go for a ride along.

As far as shocks, I have heard great things about the OME BMP 51 shocks. They are pretty reasonably priced and are adjustable too.

I run the OME longer shocks since I am running the 850J/863 in the rear with 30mm spacers. The ride is a little stiff but rides better then my 98 4Runner with OME and Bilstein shocks.

If you are going to run 37s look into re-gearing to 4.88 first or shortly there after. You will regain acceleration, not into the gas as much to get up to speed or maintain. Yes your RPMs will be higher but you will be a lot happier.

My friend @Jgunner has 4.88 and 37s with a ton of armor and his LC accelerates nicely.

Last edited:
Save the regear and panhard relocation for after you've got some experience with the rig on the lift and 37's. I regeared, best mod I've done, but some people and rigs don't require it. Some people prefer the overdrive, and some rigs have more pep. Another option is to toss in lower low range t-case gears, if you find you're not happy offroad but fine on the highway/city. There's also a high range t-case gear option. I don't see the point in the panhard mod, but again, everyone is different.

As far as the lift and shocks go, the best advice in this thread is to talk to locals who have different setups, and at least ride in them. The bottom line here is that this will be your truck, set it up for you. Put off any mods that you can until you have some seat time with what you've got, then fix whatever you don't like.

Hello Mud,

I hope you all had a great Christmas. My 96 cruiser is almost done being "baselined" and the first stop will be at Slee. My first thought was to have my new 4" lift shipped to nor cal and installed by the local well known cruiser shop. However after shipping and install cost it would have been in the 3k range. This is were making it a vacation to CO @sleeoffroad and stoping by to visit @cruiserdan at the museum on the way home starts to make sense.

So before I call Amory for the final wish list I need some suggestions.

I am going to be running Method 17x9 105 beadlocks w/ BFG KM3 37x12.5R17's
Thinking stock gears for now unless needed as it's plenty powerful, maybe the new head by the PO helped.
King adjustable shocks front and rear with stabilizer.
DBA rotors, Need suggestions on pads.
Slee 4" lift w/ heavy springs due to rear Slee bumper/tire and LRA tank (24 gallon) that I am going to have Georg install at Valley Hybrids.

Then comes the options. Mainly the Slee front control arms that come with the 6" lift kit, however I have seen threads that say these limit clearance.
I also see there are new rear HD control arms from slee.
I have also been told that I should have a delta panhard bracket installed, amongst other non Slee parts... Which I am not believing I need all that.

I am going to have Slee install bumpers, winch, sliders, belly pan, dual battery, etc. While I am there so I want to make sure I am choosing the right suspension setup since it's a big check and I won't get a second visit any time soon.

I know how a search button works, however I want input for my setup from members who have spent the time and money already. I am grateful for the resource and continued help.

*Truck will currently be used for camping and light trail duty. However I want room to grow as I get more into the hobby/events.

I would really wait before jumping in on one suspension, the new stuff from Icon is really nice and the shocks are a great and made here in America by Icon and I like slinky springs , and like I said I have installed both slee's and @Delta VS arms and I like the Deltas better and like many have said look around ask around go for a ride instead of just jumping in on a huge investment that you might not like JMHO

Slee 4" is a great lift, I ran 37s & stock gears on flat ground for years & worked surprisingly well. I suggest Delta arms & rear lanyard bracket.

it's a big check

No doubt about that.

I can't imagine dropping that much money and not regearing.

4" lift with 37s is going to be way overkill for "light trail duty"

You're gonna have a hell of a rig, enjoy!

It's already been said but you're going way over the top for "light trail duty".

My rig has a super old OME lift (seems to come out to about 4 inches) and 35s. It has never had any problem on some very gnarly trails and lines. There are def lines I won't attempt in it but heck if I could see needing anything fancier.

Wanting, now that's another thing. (And I'm not judging). Only you can evaluate the number in your bank account, your use, and how much you want to be able to throw out big name brands. That said, an OME lift and 35s (or even 33s) will tackle any light trail duty with ease and leave you with a lot more cash for gas/trips.

Def get the Delta bracket if you go this route, though. Mine drove very well (exactly as I'd expect a lifted pig to drive) before it and I questioned whether it was worth it. It def was.

I haven't gotten the arms yet due to lack of funds but all reviews I've come across have been very good.

Last edited:
Yeah...light duty trail?? Get a Jeep. lol

But otherwise, my 0.02 agrees - re-gear w/37's. You will absolutely LOVE how much you'll have to do to get that arrangement to work well. Plus, you could be doing another head gasket in no time without.

What I've found to be a YUGE enjoyment with a vehicle having 3 lockers is going bottom up - meaning take the ride as it is to the places you want to go. If you find that 3 lockers won't get you there, then make a list of things that will enable you to get there. This also helps to familiarize yourself with the 'quirks and features' of a 'new to you' vehicle.

My results of this approach have been that I've had to do very little to get just about anywhere. And the places I've chosen not to go was determined simply by the recovery efforts necessary to retrieve my stupid-ass should something have gone wrong. I trail solo mostly.

So, were you to proceed with the plan that others here have called 'big', just know it won't be finished after you "parts cannon". It may look great, but you'll always be wondering, "Should it be doing this?" as you drive down the road.

Also, what is the baseline story? All factory maintenance up to snuff? Really hard to chase post-upgrade problems if pre-upgrade issues aren't addressed first.

Welcome to the club!

I agree with the others on the delta bracket. I ran a 4” lift for five years before I got the Delta 3” bracket. I thought my truck drove fine the whole time. When I got the bracket I was blown away at how much I could tell a difference...especially since I never thought I had a problem. It is soooo stable now. I also have the Slee 4” lift with the HD springs in the rear. I love this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom