Suspension Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I'm having a bit of an issue with my suspension that I had put into my 100. I'm no expert so I did a bit of research and had a shop put in my new lift. They put in everything plus new control arms, torsion bar, and dif drop kit. My issue is that the rear end is so much higher than the front end. It almost looks as if the front end isn't lifted at all. At first, I thought to myself that the front end must be good because it's only a 2.5 inch heavy duty lift and maybe the rear end is compensating for weight/gear that isn't there. The more I look at it, the more I feel like something is wrong. I've asked the shop who has done the work and they said the torsion bars are as high as they will go without sacrificing the handling. Now, I'm not too sure of anything anymore and would love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!
20180516_152650.jpg

Last edited:
Adjust the torsion bars.

Rear will settle over the next 2 weeks probably. In the meantime, as SoCal_80 mentioned above, turn the tension bolt on each torsion bar 1-2 times which will lift the front a little. Don't do too much.....you want to maintain a 1.5" rake for handling purposes.

I've asked the shop who has done the work and they said the torsion bars are as high as they will go without sacrificing the handling. Ive had this lift on for a few months now.

It's hard to tell, as it looks like your picture is taken on a driveway with a fair bit of slope, but the stance of your vehicle appears fairly similar to my son's vehicle with the OME 2.5" "Medium" (w/ OEM rear bumper):

full

You'll want to confirm some measurements of the front height, rear height and front droop. It's best if you fully understand the relationship between your front & rear lift settings including the cause & effect of typical adjustments. Your installer probably didn't give you and before & after measurements right?

This install pdf will fully explain and familiarize you with adjusting your suspension:
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/installation/UZJ100_Suspension_Install.pdf

What upper control arms and shocks are in front?

It's hard to tell, as it looks like your picture is taken on a driveway with a fair bit of slope, but the stance of your vehicle appears fairly similar to my son's vehicle with the OME 2.5" "Medium" (w/ OEM rear bumper):

full
to me it looks like my rear is almost twice as high as the front.

Includes:
2 x SOF2RH Rear Coil Springs
2 x Old Man Emu 60000
2 x Old Man Emu 60002
2 x Old Man Emu Torsion Bars
1 x Slee Diff Drop Kit
1 x SPC-25455 Upper Control Arms - Pair

Same kit on my son's vehicle, w/ the exception of his vehicle has OME 860 coil springs in the rear.

What is your center of hub to fender lip measurement ( both front and rear)?

From memory, my son's is ~21.5" front and ~23" rear.

Last edited:
Same kit on my son's vehicle, w/ the exception of his vehicle has OME 860 coil springs in the rear.

What is your center of hub to fender lip measurement ( both front and rear)?

From memory, my son's is ~21.5" front and ~23" rear.
Looks like my front is 19" and rear is 23"

Looks like my front is 19" and rear is 23"

Then you should be able to "crank" the torsion bars for some more height (as stated above by @SoCal_80), and you should pay attention to Slee's install guide (as posted above by @abuck99), otherwise it can be cranked to the point that it "rides like s***". On my son's vehicle 21.5" was the sweet spot on the front, YMMV.

Make sure the cams on the SPC UCAs are set right. They might have set the height where it is if the upper ball joints aren't indexed right, and they couldn't get enough caster in the alignment. That might be what "sacrificing the handling" means to your shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom