suspension options after LRA install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read a TON of the prior threads regarding upgrading rear springs and suspension following modification over initial OEM weights which have left me cross eyed and head spinning.

Current weight with half a tank of gas:
Front axle - 3260 lbs (#)
Rear axle - 3180#

I will be adding approximately 400# to the rear axle in the near term. This is without a rear bumper/swing outs that will be added in the future. I have seen the threads where @Taco2Cruiser recommended OME 2725 vs the other lighter duty ones IIRC. BP-51's seem popular, but I would rather not spend a lot of time dialing in the front struts to be just right. I like the idea of the Bilsteins (5160s?), but don't know if their 400# springs are heavy enough for my application.

My question for the mud hive mind is this: I like the OEM ride, and would rather not have to rebuild shocks every 20-50k, etc. Is there a suspension setup with springs, etc that would lend itself to working well with both the 400# immediate weight gain AND the future bumper/swing out? I have pics to follow to show current sag with OEM suspension and soon to be daily weight.

4F097008-B977-4A56-B926-A06A0B9682D0.jpeg

0F837FCE-C70B-46D9-995F-5B33A23E749D.jpeg

3BF9437C-E759-4F7F-93E9-B10AEC143A2F.jpeg

D2516BE3-874E-40B8-B294-37DEE6F444F0.jpeg

42F9EC3A-67C6-4E99-9146-8C9345F9A376.jpeg

pax front/rear from hubs with load. Sorry for redundancy.

driver rear. sorry for formatting. uploading pics/editing on desktop not playing nicely for a tech neophyte.

I have found OME 2721 very versatile for different phases of added weight (12.5 lra, cargo boxes, dissent rear bumper). They may not be soft enough if you like a factory ride. Springs determine ride height, and balancing additional weight and ride quality is the challenge.

@CharlieS I'm definitely ok with a bit firmer of a ride if that's the trade off. Did you install yourself?
Yes, I did. Rear springs are very straightforward. Front suspension is more involved. For simplicity and low maintenance, maybe check out Old Man Emu Nitrochargers.

Dobinsons has a variety of spring ratings for load.

I have seen the threads where @Taco2Cruiser recommended OME 2725 vs the other lighter duty ones IIRC.
I don’t think I would have said that, but yeah know… 208 200 builds, I can say that I’m still changing my views on what products are “better” than others. Allow me to give my current thoughts. The only 2725s I recommend is armored 200. Not skid plates and bumpers armor, small arms and fragmentation level protection armor.

Even running a 40gal LRA, Slee rear tire carrier, trexbox drawers, full rack and RTT… I still would not go past 2724s with that setup.

For 24-40 gallon LRAs with a want to go off-roading and no rear bumper, 2723.

For 12.5-24 gallon LRAs, gravel road overlander setup, you drop down to a 2722 if you want it plush. The 2721 is better than the 2722 for light variable loads. But I do feel there is a very specific build that a 2722 can make a comeback as a 2722 still has a .5mm bigger wire diameter than a 2721. And that, I feel helps if a 200 just has a 12.5 LRA and nothing else.

Last edited:
I don’t think I would have said that, but yeah know… 208 200 builds, I can say that I’m still changing my views on what products are “better” than others. Allow me to give my current thoughts. The only 2725s I recommend is armored 200. Not skid plates and bumpers armor, small arms and fragmentation level protection armor.

Even running a 40gal LRA, Slee rear tire carrier, trexbox drawers, full rack and RTT… I still would not go past 2724s with that setup.

For 24-40 gallon LRAs with a want to go off-roading and no rear bumper, 2723.

For 12.5-24 gallon LRAs, gravel road overlander setup, you drop down to a 2722 if you want it plush. The 2721 is better than the 2722 for light variable loads. But I do feel there is a very specific build that a 2722 can make a comeback as a 2722 still has a .5mm bigger wire diameter than a 2721. And that, I feel helps if a 200 just has a 12.5 LRA and nothing else.
Thanks for the reply and I stand corrected. I appreciate the concise break down of OME spring rec’s too.

Would you go ahead with swapping all the shocks/struts/front springs too?

Thanks for the reply and I stand corrected. I appreciate the concise break down of OME spring rec’s too.

Would you go ahead with swapping all the shocks/struts/front springs too?
Well, you can definitely be okay with firming up the back, and leaving the front alone. It’s the other way around, stiffer front and stock rear, that makes it less favorable. You end up getting a tail wagging thing going on at speed, sometimes.

But for where you are at right now, and being as efficient as possible with your build, I’d do what you need to the rear. Leave the front alone, and give it a shot. Worse case is you upgrade the front anyway. Best case, you can hold off on the front for a bit. That would give you time to see where you want to keep going with the 200.

I’ve got a few 200 with various builds going on right now. Shoot me a message and we can find a time for me to show you kinda what things could be.

I have found OME 2721 very versatile for different phases of added weight (12.5 lra, cargo boxes, dissent rear bumper). They may not be soft enough if you like a factory ride. Springs determine ride height, and balancing additional weight and ride quality is the challenge.
I loved my 2721s as I built up what is now a heavy beast forcing me to go 2724. The 2721s worked ok with my Dissent dual swingouts. (Don’t have drawers). It was a too soft though. The rears are pretty easy to swap out and not that expensive. IMO 2721s are great for initial lift and slow build/use.

I loved my 2721s as I built up what is now a heavy beast forcing me to go 2724. The 2721s worked ok with my Dissent dual swingouts. (Don’t have drawers). It was a too soft though. The rears are pretty easy to swap out and not that expensive. IMO 2721s are great for initial lift and slow build/use.

I also loved my 2721s until I had Slee put it 2724 with the new rear (slee) bumper and aux tank. I actually feel like the 2724s are a little too much right now as it's firmer and giving me a stinkbug look I didn't have with the 2721. I don't have drawers, just a fridge, bumper and 24 gallon aux tank. I try and keep my aux tank full to improve the ride quality.

I have been tempted to put some 2721s back on to see how it handles, but I worry it'll just be too soft.

Yeah, I should probably swap something in now that I have a heavier drawer system. I haven't run with the full camping load since changing cargo drawers. The thing is I like the progressive springs. I'd like something with a little more load carrying capacity but progressive, like a 2721 on steroids. lol Let me know if you find something like that in your travels, please.

Yeah, I should probably swap something in now that I have a heavier drawer system. I haven't run with the full camping load since changing cargo drawers. The thing is I like the progressive springs. I'd like something with a little more load carrying capacity but progressive, like a 2721 on steroids. lol Let me know if you find something like that in your travels, please.
Exactly what I would like. I have some VT springs from Dobinsons (from what i understand the variable taper is essentially a progressive spring) on my 80. It rides really nice empty, I hauled a bunch of weight in the cargo area a couple of times and it rides even better with a load. I wish they made something similar for the 200.

bump in case anyone has any updated products to recommend

Finalized write up after install including new springs. Gents, thanks again for all the input!

It seems there’s an opportunity here for airbags with an automated inflate, deflate system and a raspberry pi.
Pi measures the full level of the aux tank (and main tank if you want), and inflates / deflates airbags based upon these levels.
Simple phone UI could have select buttons for towing, fridge. Drawers, number of passengers etc, and the Pi would manage inflation based on all this.
Actually a really good use case for the ARb tablet (Linx).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom