LRA install at budbuilt write up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently had a LRA 40 gallon installed at Budbuilt in Hudson, NC. Nothing to disclose.

BLUF/TLDR - Bud and his team are great and do fantastic work! I would without hesitation go back to them for future work and can't recommend them highly enough. Rob (crazy american off road) is a LC guru who also stands by his craftsmanship.

Long story:
I bought a LRA for my 200 series back in October/November of 2023 and had it shipped to an "area installer" who said they could install it no problem. After seeing how low this tank would hang and my (eventual) plans to be able to take my LC on some challenging off road stuff, I thought a skid would be appropriate. Who wants to end up (best case) seeing their aux tank spew its contents all over the trail....or worse? I enjoy barbeque, but don't want to be on the menu. I messaged the installer and asked if they could do a skid "let me look into that" was the reply. Radio silence for several days and my install date was coming up. When I finally got a reply, the skid plate was a no-go and they said it should be fine as is. LRA builds good stuff, no doubt. With that said, given the volume of fuel, tank dimensions, proximity to the ground, etc I did not like this as the final answer. I do appreciate this shop realizing I was wanting to go in a direction they could not provide for and telling me the truth - this post is not meant to disparage anyone (hence they will not be named).

I got in touch with Bud and he offered to graciously make a custom skid for the tank. I retrieved the palletized LRA tank from my initial installer and delivered to Budbuilt with a boatload of fasteners/fittings/fuel hose/clamps/fuel pumps/etc I was looking to use as an "upgrade" vs what comes standard from the good people at LRA. Some of this was used, most was not. LRA hardware is the way it is for a reason I learned (brass vs aluminim, etc) - thanks again, Rob! Fast forward several weeks and after several revisions (it is Budbuilt afterall - just good enough isn't acceptable!), the skid and tank were ready for install! I left my cruiser at the Budbuilt workshop in Hudson for the mad scientists to get after it. They built a special stainless steel bracket for the Holley fuel filter, etc to mount to and it looks amazing. The wiring looks as though it's factory given the routes taken and looms/grounding points utilized. The skid bolts to the frame in ways that are incredibly creative and strong! I hope to never test its robust design, but sure gives me zero hesitation to have this tank full with the cab full of passengers, etc. The tank was painted Budbuilt black and I will be able to touch it up easily with some rattle-can work should it take a shot in the future. I appreciate the thought that went into switch placement, wire routing, pump placement, etc for this installation. It wasn't rushed by two guys who need me in and out ASAP to make room for the next install (think 4WP, etc). My hat is off to everyone involved and I could not have been more pleased with the outcome.

To account for the tank/fuel/eventual heavier rear bumper, heavier rear springs (OME 2722/2723 - I can't remember off hand) and the front OEM strut spacers were put on to make the rig look less like a stink bug. I like the way it sits now with a wee bit higher clearance and can still fit in parking garages as needed.

If you're on the fence about this option, go for it! Despite it taking the better part of a year for this whole thing to be installed from when I purchased the tank (a story for another time), I would do it again in a second. The LRA crew were great to deal with given the volume of emails I sent their way - I do appreciate their quick replies! Bud and his team were first class all the way and delivered on everything they said they could do with professional fit and finish. If you've made it this far I want to reiterate, Bud and his team are great and do fantastic work! I would without hesitation go back to them for future work and can't recommend them highly enough. Rob (crazy american off road) is a LC guru who also stands by his craftsmanship. Thanks again guys!

Thanks again for everyone I have DM'd, called, texted, or radio'd. I appreciate your insight. If you have questions/comments, post below and I'll update as I can.

I retrieved the palletized LRA tank from my initial installer and delivered to Budbuilt with a boatload of fasteners/fittings/fuel hose/clamps/fuel pumps/etc I was looking to use as an "upgrade" vs what comes standard from the good people at LRA. Some of this was used, most was not.
Do you have a list of the items that ended up being used especially related to the Holly pump install?

I appreciate the thought that went into switch placement, wire routing, pump placement, etc for this installation. It wasn't rushed by two guys who need me in and out ASAP to make room for the next install (think 4WP, etc). My hat is off to everyone involved and I could not have been more pleased with the outcome.
Also do you have any pictures of how it was installed or routed or any information on that?

Thanks.

Do you have a list of the items that ended up being used especially related to the Holly pump install?

Also do you have any pictures of how it was installed or routed or any information on that?

Thanks.
Ended up NOT using Holley pump.

No pics right now. It’s tucked behind pax wheel well shroud. When I change the fuel filter in about a year (not needed in US/CAN - our fuel is CLEAN), I’ll take a pic.

Ended up NOT using Holley pump.

No pics right now. It’s tucked behind pax wheel well shroud. When I change the fuel filter in about a year (not needed in US/CAN - our fuel is CLEAN), I’ll take a pic.

Did you just use the pump the LRA came with then and swap the lines to something better? About to have one installed so I was just curious what best practice is currently.

yes on the pump. Due to low amp requirement (simpler wiring, fewer components - more robust system long term).

I have Parker fuel line and fragola line as well. Larger diameter than what comes with LRA. Ended up using one small bit of it for larger breather hose, but the rest was whatever came with LRA tank. Without changing fittings, pump, etc there was no need in larger diameter fuel hose.

If you want the Parker fuel line, I’ll cut you a great deal on it. Holley fuel pump too.

yes on the pump. Due to low amp requirement (simpler wiring, fewer components - more robust system long term).

I have Parker fuel line and fragola line as well. Larger diameter than what comes with LRA. Ended up using one small bit of it for larger breather hose, but the rest was whatever came with LRA tank. Without changing fittings, pump, etc there was no need in larger diameter fuel hose.

If you want the Parker fuel line, I’ll cut you a great deal on it. Holley fuel pump too.

Ah thanks, thats okay though I will just use whatever LRA comes with if thats what budbuilt recommended.

It took some convincing on my end, but they are legit pros at doing what they do. And I’m glad the install went as it did. If you’re interested in the mounting plate, email or call them to see if they can make you one using mine as a template. It made for a clean install and I haven’t had any issues since it was put in about three months ago.

It took some convincing on my end, but they are legit pros at doing what they do. And I’m glad the install went as it did. If you’re interested in the mounting plate, email or call them to see if they can make you one using mine as a template. It made for a clean install and I haven’t had any issues since it was put in about three months ago.
Yeah I will have to reach out and get that, does the holley filter make a difference in pump performance or is it mostly just to beef up the one the LRA came with?

7 month bump. Zero issues to report, all is well with functionality, fitment, zero CEL lights/codes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom