Suspension clunk/knock help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, Im trying to figure out a clunking/ knock sound on my 06 Lx470. it makes the sound when hitting bumps or when weight transfers from front to back on accel and decel. Its not the driveshaft clunk I dealt with that a long time ago. This sounds like its underneath and suspension related. It sounds like a shock with a loose bolt or like an exhaust system swinging into something kind of a clunck. I have the OME medium kit with springs, shocks and torsion bars. I have gone over every bolt and part under the LX a dozen times trying to figure it out. I have Re-Torqued shock bolts and checked for anything loose, the exhaust has plenty of clearance and bushings seem fine. Anyone have any ideas where else to look next?
Thanks!

Thanks, visually looked ok but will double check.

Could be a worn out control arm bushing, front lowers perhaps. Or if they didn't tighten the bolts up properly after alignment.

Thanks for all the replies. I spent some more time under there checking the things recommended. Rocking the jacked up wheel every which way didn’t cause any noticeable play in tre or ball joints. Had alignment done about 7k miles ago at Lexus dealerships and they didn’t mention any slop or issues. The sway bar bushings are pretty dry rotted. In fact all rubber bushings are kind of rough looking. At this point I’m going to assume that’s where the noise is coming from. Might start changing some of the easier ones out when i have some more time. Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies. I spent some more time under there checking the things recommended. Rocking the jacked up wheel every which way didn’t cause any noticeable play in tre or ball joints. Had alignment done about 7k miles ago at Lexus dealerships and they didn’t mention any slop or issues. The sway bar bushings are pretty dry rotted. In fact all rubber bushings are kind of rough looking. At this point I’m going to assume that’s where the noise is coming from. Might start changing some of the easier ones out when i have some more time. Thanks!
I recently went through this, front and rear sway bar bushing helped a lot. New shocks front and rear eliminated the rest of chunk thunk sounds. For some, the rear control arms and panhard bushings can also cause noises in the suspension. That can get pretty pricey depending on whether you want to press in new bushing, or go with new arms, etc. Good luck.

My sway bar bushing were banging around so much on the trail I thought I had a loose hub or wheel. When I got under it for maintenance it took just the right pulling and pushing to realize what it was.
Of course I still haven't fixed them. The links are pretty worn so I don't think bushings will be the full solution....maybe I will just take them off!

My sway bar bushing were banging around so much on the trail I thought I had a loose hub or wheel. When I got under it for maintenance it took just the right pulling and pushing to realize what it was.
Of course I still haven't fixed them. The links are pretty worn so I don't think bushings will be the full solution....maybe I will just take them off!
I link bushings are replaceable with OEM for pretty cheap. That's the route I went, and it only took a few minutes to swap them out.

I link bushings are replaceable with OEM for pretty cheap. That's the route I went, and it only took a few minutes to swap them out.
You are correct. Life has been in the way of wrenching for a while.

Hello, Im trying to figure out a clunking/ knock sound on my 06 Lx470. it makes the sound when hitting bumps or when weight transfers from front to back on accel and decel. Its not the driveshaft clunk I dealt with that a long time ago. This sounds like its underneath and suspension related. It sounds like a shock with a loose bolt or like an exhaust system swinging into something kind of a clunck. I have the OME medium kit with springs, shocks and torsion bars. I have gone over every bolt and part under the LX a dozen times trying to figure it out. I have Re-Torqued shock bolts and checked for anything loose, the exhaust has plenty of clearance and bushings seem fine. Anyone have any ideas where else to look next?
Thanks!

Is it a clunk or a lighter clink because if you hear a clinking driving around with windows down it's possibly your brake caliper guide pins jingling. Mine have been driving me nuts.

Still trying to trace down the noise. I can replicate it by jacking up and letting down on the passenger side. It makes the clunk/ popping noise a couple times on the way up and a couple times on the way down. If I jack it up from driverside it doesnt make the noise. I can not pinpoint exactly were its coming from, it seems to be coming from everywhere. It almost sounds like a bad balljoint but they dont seem to have an extra slop in them. Unless there just dry and starting to go bad.

I have a similar clunk in my ‘06 LX. I haven’t been able to pin point it. But recently my 200 after lift install had a similar clunk and it turned out to be the rear passenger upper shock bolt was a little loose. Tightened it and clunk went away. Going to check that on my 100 next time I’m out west. Otherwise, I’m going back to thinking sway bar bushings are dry rotted.

Thanks. Will double check.

Clunk/clink on the PS while jacking up/letting down would make me think either CV joint, TRE or maybe UCA.

If you jack that side up to where the wheel is just off the ground and then put a prybar under the wheel and lift, do you hear the sound?
While wheel is off ground, grab both sides at 3&9 o'clock and push/pull either side. Any noise or play? Same at 6 & 12 o'clock...

First test will be for UCA and ball joints.
Second test will be for wheel bearings.
If you need better visual, go on youtube and look up how to test for bad <wheelbearings> or <ball joints>.

Thanks. Will double check.
Did you get rid of the clunk? I have done front noise to go along with leaky ball joint and tie rod end. So I’m putting in new ball joints and control arm bearings. While I had the wheel off I decided to check the torque of various bolts.

shock bolt was a little loose. Tightened it and clunk went away.

My top nuts on my front shocks were really loose. I tightened them up and no mor clunk although I still have some steering slop.

I have had some phantom pops. I was going nuts trying to find them. Then I checked something that I had overlooked as it is not part of the suspension system. The cross member bolts under the front differential where it bolts to the frame, two bolts per side. Torquing the poo out of them got rid of the noise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom