Survival Knife? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So my 0.02 - here are the outdoor fixed blades I use, well except for the Buck.

Over 30 or so years ago I saved up to buy the Buck 120 on the top. Growing up in N NV it was with me anytime I was hunting, fishing, camping. I broke down many mule deer, trout, white fish. Prepped for fire, beat it up.... Then I discovered Mora. The companion took the place of the buck and for the next 15 years or so that was it. And really Mora’s are hard to beat for a fixed blade hunting/camping tool. 2nd from the top is what I bought when I was at a time when’re I felt I needed a “nicer” more expensive knife (Benchmade bushcraft). It is what I use (with a Havalon) for caribou and sheep hunting. 3rd down Spyderco salt is my go to for trips to Hawaii. However the bottom Mora Pro S (companion is above that) is my go to outdoor knife, and I could buy over 20 of them for the price of the Benchmade.

Your Companion pictured was my first Mora. Unbelievable that it was delivered toy door for $12. I have many Mora's now but that one has sentimental value.

And just since you got me on a roll. Folders.
The first “nice” knife a bought was a Benchmade mini griptilian sheepsfoot plain edge. It was with me throughout my service and daily for Well over 10 years. I gave it to a buddy the last time he was deployed before retiring back in 2014 and have been searching for a replacement ever since.

I came upon the Benchmade triage 915 that was pretty much perfect. Heftier than the grip but a good size. Anyway my wife adopted it for her deployment gear. And since I can’t just replace with another the search went on. The top one Benchmade crooked river was just too good looking to pass up. But the longer I carried it figured out it’s just to big for me. Sick of getting the look like a whipped out a sword retired it mostly to the safe. But man it’s a good looking knife. The Buck/tops is a beast. It lives in my pack and is almost as stout as a fixed blade. 3rd down is a ZT 0770. I’ve never been a fan of KAI products (or flippers) but this has been my daily knife for over a year and it seems to be the great balance of everything. Bottom is a Spyderco salt folder. I was so impressed with the H1 in the fixed I bought the fold version. I can have it on my pocket in and out of the ocean for weeks and still good as new.

For

Your Companion pictured was my first Mora. Unbelievable that it was delivered toy door for $12. I have many Mora's now but that one has sentimental value.
I think I paid $10 for my first mora. The Pro S and companions are still < $15.

@73fj40lc Maybe this is a question from ignorance, but why carry both a ferro and a magnesium starter? Wouldn't a small BIC lighter be a more versatile backup to one of them? I'm not looking to start any debates, I really just want to know if there's something I'm not catching.

Apparently you have never tried to light a fire when it is very very wet or very very cold. The small fero rod on the mag block is very small and only puts out limited spark. With the mag shavings and the large fero rod you get bigger hotter longer lasting sparks to ignite the mag shavings. Ever hear that 1 is none and 2 is one. There are tons of people that got caught up and excited once they get a small flame and trying to get it to catch only to realize later they can't find their fero rod or lighter that they set aside in haste and lost it.

As @Prairie Swap mentioned I don't trust lighters. Way too many times they have failed me. If you have ever tried to use a lighter when it is very cold you have to spend time warming it up for it to work. Remember this is an external last ditch survival kit. My large fero rod also attaches to the outside of my sheath and utilizies wasted space instead of taking up room in my maxpedition pouch like a lighter would. It really is just my personal opinion and preference. Everybody has different theories and needs. Whatever gives you peace of mind go with it. 🍺

Last edited:
@73fj40lc
Thanks for the info. Nope, I've never tried to start a fire in the wet. Cold, yes, but my lighter always worked. I try to stay out of the cold and rain as much as possible. But I AM a firm believer in having a backup to the backup. I guess I need to practice a little bit of fire starting in the coming frigid weather...my fero technique is crap.

@73fj40lc
Thanks for the info. Nope, I've never tried to start a fire in the wet. Cold, yes, but my lighter always worked. I try to stay out of the cold and rain as much as possible. But I AM a firm believer in having a backup to the backup. I guess I need to practice a little bit of fire starting in the coming frigid weather...my fero technique is crap.

Ferroceium rod sparks are around 5000 degrees Fahrenheit. Magnesium shavings generally burn a little hotter but around the same temp. You need at somewhere around 1000 degrees F to reliability light the magnesium shavings.

Theoretically a bic lighter should burn somewhere around 3000 degrees F. If it is really cold out and the butane liquid is cold you will have a hard time getting it to light and stay lit. The butane isn't burning as effectively or as hot when it is really cold. This is one reason that I like ferroceium rods. Their sparks burn hotter and it doesn't really matter how cold or wet as long as you have decent tinder. If you have enough magnesium shavings and a hot enough spark it will light tinder even if it is slightly wet. You can be pissing in the wind with a bic if your tinder is wet as many times it isn't hot enough to dry it out enough to get a good hot core burning.

I'm very pleased with my Fallkniven F1 . It has a nice handle and is light in weight.

Older son graduates uni late May this year. That was a quick 4 yrs!

Figured he needs a decent knife to remember his graduation year.

p19.jpg

cheers,
george.

Agree with Cole and George and have an appreciation for Portland OR built Benchmade products.

Top is the mini-griptilian and the fixed blade a Nimravus (great for chopping vegetables - a form of survival!).

I also gave a custom benchmade to my son when he earned Eagle Scout. He's active in Search & Rescue so a useful tool in that environment.

Agree with Cole and George and have an appreciation for Portland OR built Benchmade products.

View attachment 1949086

Top is the mini-griptilian and the fixed blade a Nimravus (great for chopping vegetables - a form of survival!).

I also gave a custom benchmade to my son when he earned Eagle Scout. He's active in Search & Rescue so a useful tool in that environment.

I also have a Nimravis (bottom), really solid knife. And a the others I didn’t mention above: top is a presidio mini, I found it in the Kenai river and gave it to my daughter as I hate combo blades, 2nd down is the triage (915) I stole back from my wife It really is the perfect woods/survival folder. 3rd down is an M4 Osborn I picked up for my sons next birthday. I traded in the The ZT flipper (for the Osborn) I mentioned above as it opened in my pocket on a climb, I now hate flippers. Also why I took the 915 back.

image.jpg

got the Tops Brakimo for Christmas...absolutely loving it!

That's a proper bushcraft knife. I have a Ka-Bar BK2 with Knife Connection micarta handles that is a similar design and love it. I very much want and could really use a Tops El Chete.

Last edited:
That Barebones follows along the lines of a Japanese gardening/digging tool that I have. Only mine doesn't have a bottle opener.

Thanks!

Self taught with episodes of "Forged in Fire" lol..

The sheath is next. Gonna be simple and functional. A buddy wants to make one out of kydex, but I'm making a leather one wo see how it turns out.

So leather small of the back sheath is mostly complete. Leave it natural brown and oil it or dye it black?
20190427_201017.jpg

So leather small of the back sheath is mostly complete. Leave it natural brown and oil it or dye it black?View attachment 1963705

Personally I would oil it good or use some leather honey on it and then some protective beeswax or other wax. I love the look of a well oiled and used leather product.

If you have never used leather honey before it is a really good product for leather. It is amazing how it can even bring back old, dried out, cracked and hard leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom