Surprising change since changing the diff oil and switching to Delo. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Proven

RTFM, STEP 6, POST
Threads
I have friends that put a K&N filter on something and then praise how much horse power they gained while I roll my eyes.

I am going to try not to be that guy, but has anyone else experienced better manners after changing diff oil?

I changed the front and rear diff oils, replaced the master cylinder, flushed 1 gallon of fluid through the brakes, and changed the oil from car oil to delo. Right now, I think the gear oil really gave me the ability to coast, which I didn't really have before.

I used to work in the oil business and wouldn't have told a single customer that this would be possible.

Am I smoking something? i am surprised there would be this type of difference.

My brother used to be a shop superintendent for a trucking company. He also did wrenching on the trucks.

He had a driver come in on his scheduled time for his truck to be serviced. The drivers fill out a sheet (their "wish list") for desired services needed on the truck and to advise if there is anything funky going on with the truck.

Driver "A" came in and happened to see my brother doing a tire balance and alignment on the front of another truck. This driver then commented that his truck was handling poorly and he had a vibration in the front that was being a real problem. Tires are balanced while installed on the trucks in order to balance the entire assembly.

My brother knew the driver pretty well and he would always have whatever symptom he would see someone working on in the shop.

My brother went through the guy's list, but "ran out of time" for the front wheel balance and alignment on the front of the truck. So, he placed a white marker stick mark on both front tires of the truck to indicate that the service had been done. He also marked it on the sheet as having been done, so to all outward appearances, the service had been completed.

When the driver stopped through the following week to change loads, he saw my brother and commented how great the truck was driving now and it was "smooth as glass"!

That's what you're experiencing right now. You have 40 more HP, you can stop 30 FT shorter, and the stereo now goes to 11. Oh....and you're a virgin again.

Same thing happen to me when I changed out T-case and F-R diffs with new oil, rolled super smooth and helped a Lil' bit with MPG.....went to many miles on old gear oil......this is why I change it out every year now, luv the smoothness... ;)

I think it is called the "Halo effect". A few years back we refitted the cabins on some BA aircraft. New seats, new IFE, everything. Passenger satisfaction went up by a significant amount as expected. Passengers raved about the improvements but especially about the food. WTF the food was the same as before and the same as the food on the aircraft we didnt mod that they still.moaned about.
Go figure...

Can't speak to your specific experience other than Extreme Pressure (EP) gear lubes do wear out. The EP additive is (or was?) a sulfur based compound. As the gear teeth meshed the EP additive would leave a layer on the gear surface. This layer was sacrificial and was removed and re-deposited during the engagement cycle - this so steel did not touch steel. The sulfur based EP additives are the source of the rotten egg smell from diffs and x-msns.

The sulfur deposition process generated a gas as a by-product. Enough gas to pressurize a transmission or diff and blow the seals. That is why gear boxes are vented.

There has to be a tremendous amount of friction in the guts of an engine, the x-msn, t-case and differentials plus the work required to move the fluids into wear areas and then squeeze them out..

Oil viscosity matters as do the specific additives which include friction modifiers.

I worked for manufacturer of engines, transmissions and earth moving equipment. The transmissions were powershift with wet clutches, the x-msn oil was plain 30W engine oil. Years ago its transmission oil supplier changed one additive that was at about a 0.5% concentration and did not inform the company.

The result was the transmissions slipped so bad they could not drive the machines off the assembly lines.

The details can make a difference.

Last edited:
I think it is called the "Halo effect". A few years back we refitted the cabins on some BA aircraft. New seats, new IFE, everything. Passenger satisfaction went up by a significant amount as expected. Passengers raved about the improvements but especially about the food. WTF the food was the same as before and the same as the food on the aircraft we didnt mod that they still.moaned about.
Go figure...
I read a study not long ago that concluded that excess noise can affect a person's perception of taste, the louder the noise, the blander the food seemed. It could be that the new interior components of the aircraft insulated against engine noise better and cut down the squeaks and creaks.

I get the same placebo effect too. I know there isn't a "real" difference, but enjoy the "better" performance after doing x, y, z.

I use Delo for all my gear oil. Good full synthetic for a great price. I don't notice anything different but I actively try and avoid confirmation bias.

After reading this thread I felt inspired to find the best oil in the world.

This stuff makes my 0-60 time faster than most Porsches. Suck it, Delo.

IMG_5648.JPG

I get real seat of the pants horse power every time I wash mine

I got a brand new tank of Costco Top Tier regular this morning. The motor ran smooth all 10 miles to the shop, didn't even overheat or blow the head gasket, and feels like it's getting better fuel mileage!

There something special about taking care of and driving a really fast Japanese Tractor! Has more smiles per gallon than any other vehicles I have owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom