Surf N Turf 2008 - cut short this year (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boydmick

RIP My Friend
SILVER Star
Threads
So, en route to SNT Friday I stop at the Gaviota rest area to let Bubba out for some water and a poop when an Irish Setter attacks him and shreds his left ear.

He is bleeding profusely and several people rush in to help. After the third wad of paper towels are completely soaked I can finally see that his ear is butterflied, the front and back of his ear are seperated and there is a thumb size chunk of ear hanging from his head.

There is an artery in the chunk that is pumping blood with each heartbeat (insert Monty Python scene here). I literally have blood up to my elbows when I finally pinch off the artery and begin to get the bleeding under control.

Thank God for Google and cell phones because a friend finds a Vet in Buellton about 15 minutes away.

After I slowed the bleed to a trickle I loaded Bubba back in the truck and headed to the Vet. They took him right in to surgery to try to repair the ear.

About 20 minutes later the Vet reported that the avulsed piece could not be saved, but they trimmed the ear and stitched the edge closed. Once his hair grows back you probably won't be able to tell.

I tell them I going camping in Pismo and they give me the OK to take Bubba. He'll be a little out of it from anesthesia, but all I have to do is keep him on his meds and out of the water. Off to Pismo we go:)

We pull in just before sunset Friday evening and get situated, set up camp, walk around and say "hi." Every thing looks like it will be fine. :D

Cocktails start flowing; good food, good conversation and everyone's off to bed. Or so I thought. . . .

About 2:00 am I awake to the Frat Party from hell; eight to ten hammered guys are hosting their own single sex Rave five feet from my tent (I measured in the morning and it was actually only four:rolleyes:). House and Techno blare into the night while chug after chug of the beer bong keeps a steady supply of empty Keystone cans bouncing off the side of my tent. "Oh good" I think; if they drink enough beer, they'll pass out soon.

3:00 rolls around and I swear there are more people than at 2:00. :bang: The conversation consists of weather or not it is OK to burn more pallets. "We can always pick the nails out of the sand in the morning." The music continues; manhood is challenged and more beer bongs are swallowed. One guy takes chugs from a handle of vodka that looks to have been diluted slightly with orange juice while calling his buddies out as not having enough balls to drink another beer bong.

Seeing no end in sight to the House Party, I ask a couple of guys how much longer they plan on staying up. "Until we're out of booze" is the #1 answer. I ask if they realize it is now 3:30 and "No way dude!" tops the survey.

I've had enough at this point. If I don't act soon, the sun may come up before I get any sleep. I pull the truck around and turn the high beams on the party. After about 10 minutes of complaining, a couple of guys attempt to move the fire to another spot but most of the group stumbles off to bed. I park the truck and try to get some sleep.

Just after sunrise I'm jostled from two hours of sleep by the sounds of 2 cycle engines racing past camp. Soon the sound of mufflerless V8s fills the void between quads and it's time for breakfast.

Now with a full belly and some caffeine on board, Bubba and I head down to the 1 mile beach run/walk. Bubba is constantly annoyed by his bandage and has been trying to shake it off all morning. He succeeds by the starting line and exposes the raw edge of his ear to the elements.

After several failed attempts to repair the original bandage I realize I've got to start from scratch. By this time the ear is bleeding again and staying another day is out of the picture.

With some help I get Bubba's ear bandaged up well enough to travel. I pack up the truck, say some goodbyes and head back to the Vet in Buellton.

The Vet squeezes Bubba in as soon as she can. He winds up with a couple more stitches and a new bandage with his ear wrapped flat on his head.

Not so bad from the front:
Missing chunk.jpg

The real damage was to the back:
All stitched up.jpg

Bubba's not to happy with the bandage:
New Bandage.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helped bandage/rebandage Bubba's ear and special thanks to Brent for letting me rifle through his first aid supplies:clap::clap:
New Bandage.jpg
Missing chunk.jpg
All stitched up.jpg

Anything for Bubba my friend! Glad he's on the mend for good this time.

I saw you and Bubba at the start of the Mob Mile, sorry to hear about the low class riff raff next to you.
That sounds like an average weekend in Pismo, not SNT.

I think I camped next to you guys on Fri but I was passed out drunk by 11....enough to not hear all the noise until around 6am. My neighbor said someone was shining their HID's in my tent for about 20 mins while they set up camp late night. It never woke me up. I saw the party crew in the morning...they were still going strong.

Sucks about your dog, hope he is doing better.

Should have Cued the violins first:lol:.

It's easy to point the finger and complain, but lesson learned: Don't camp so close to us next time.
Especially, given that the music was always playing at volume and when you first arrived, we said, "we're going to be up and expecting others, (just like every year, that's why we camp at the back)" yet of the 100's of acres of sand you chose to camp there anyway. I think your lights had more pple actually complain, than our sound. We setup our camp Thursday, and made sure it was far out with room for people to navigate around us (as per the significant gaps to the west, south and east).

I'm sure the dog incident didn't help this situation, your tension was already up, and I hope that he is doing better, but if you're going to exaggerate at least give both sides of the story. There was no rave just guys drinking and having a good time. If you think that was loud be happy you didn't choose to camp next to pple that had quads, bikes, and a rails firing up in the am.

P.S.
- As you hastily & recklessly drove your 80 around the side of camp to "take action" you failed to mention that you drove into and over part of a tent (Ian's) (you're lucky no one was hurt).
- I remeasured the distance for you, it was 3'5":lol:, and
- It was more 80s music than techno :cheers:

Well, now I'm officially sad to not have made it to SnT this year.

If I'd have know you guys were going to party until dawn each night, I might have made the effort to show up with booze reinforcements.

Seriously though, Boyd, did you set up next to these guys, or did they set up next to you? If you were there, minding your own business, drinking your tea and catching up on your reading, and the Iranian National Beer Chugging Team showed up and crashed your meditation session, I'd say you have a right to get angry. If you set up camp next to these lot already in swing, I'd say you were asking for disturbance. Sober sleep is impossible in that place, without the use of earplugs and multiple Tylenol PM, recommended doses be damned.

I've also camped in Pismo before, thinking that at some point, I'd be able to kick back and relax. I didn't get what I had hoped for.

Here's what I wrote:

"For those that have not witnessed Oceano on a Saturday night, the scene is a lot like Burning Man, minus the creativity, and with Rednecks and Chicanos instead of Freaks. Thousands of drunk, stoned and tweaking humanoids, all crammed together in a spontaneous city of toy boxes and diesel pushers, all driving top speed in and on every manner of dirt throwing mufflerless oil spewers at all hours under a non-stop shower of highly illegal fireworks, weaving around gasoline bonfires, collapsed vomiters, unattended toddlers, and everything, everything covered with and filled with sand, endless sand."

Your mileage may vary.

Omg sorry about Bubba. I cant stand when animals get hurt dude. Glad you knew what to do.. i probably would have freaked beings that the blood was flowing so much. Good on you and others that got the directions and cellphones out to get the help. Good on the ER vet too.

Pismo blows, thats why we went once and decided never to go again for the same damn reason *unless we go during the week). Its like Glamis.. but you dont have a place to camp... its over packed and it sucks when people party or get stuck behind your tent and decide to stay all night. What happened to you is basically what happened to us. Sorry your SNT had to be ruined. I figured with all the Yotas, they would have been shut down for the weekend and normal people could party.

80s music - we're not talking about Cyndi Lauper type are we?:D

Well at least at the end of this weekend everybody came home alive and thats a good thing. To Bubba get healed soon and I hope to make SnT next year.

Should have Cued the violins first:lol:.

It's easy to point the finger and complain, but lesson learned: Don't camp so close to us next time.
Especially, given that the music was always playing at volume and when you first arrived, we said, "we're going to be up and expecting others, (just like every year, that's why we camp at the back)" yet of the 100's of acres of sand you chose to camp there anyway. I think your lights had more pple actually complain, than our sound. We setup our camp Thursday, and made sure it was far out with room for people to navigate around us (as per the significant gaps to the west, south and east).

I'm sure the dog incident didn't help this situation, your tension was already up, and I hope that he is doing better, but if you're going to exaggerate at least give both sides of the story. There was no rave just guys drinking and having a good time. If you think that was loud be happy you didn't choose to camp next to pple that had quads, bikes, and a rails firing up in the am.

P.S.
- As you hastily & recklessly drove your 80 around the side of camp to "take action" you failed to mention that you drove into and over part of a tent (Ian's) (you're lucky no one was hurt).
- I remeasured the distance for you, it was 3'5":lol:, and
- It was more 80s music than techno :cheers:

Sam,

I hold no hard feelings against you or any of your friends. My bad for not knowing your M.O. of partying through the night. I'm not pointing fingers, just sharing my experience. I guarantee I won't camp anywhere close to you next year:D

You are right about the violins - we need another smilie on the list!

I set up with the SoCal80s and had no idea that you would have people showing up all night. While you might have been camped at what you consider the back; it is still pertty much surrounded by others. I always try to camp near the back so I'm away from all the people that like to party till 3am - that seems to have backfired this year!:lol:

I heard the music playing during the day and what I would consider acceptable level at 6pm, I would consider rude at midnight and completely unacceptable at 3am:eek: I guess everyone's standards of ettiquite are different.

The only exggeration I used was the word "Rave;" I guess to actually qualify as a rave you need soap bubbles, a light show, GHB and extacy. :idea:You can always add that to your list for next year:) - Some scantily clad vixen would be nice too!

The comments from the group are in quotations because they are indeed "quotes." The suitcase of Keystone empties were piled next to my tent and the cans bouncing off the rainfly into the pile is what woke me up in the first place. Nothing made up there.

I did however leave out the part about people puking in camp; but thankfully, that was by someone else's tent.:doh:

You are right that I ran into Ian's tent; my bumper pushed down on one of the poles and I backed up immediately and checked it for damage. There was no running "over" anything (or anyone).

I had one person complain about my lights and I turned them off. Perhaps if you had been as responsive to complaints, I wouldn't have any stories to tell at all:hmm:

I probably should have camped by the quads and rails; with as early as they were up, I bet they were asleep by midnight:)

3'5" - now that's funny!!:lol::lol:
I do remember hearing some 80's music, but it was all beat mixed with other stuff - that's why I called it Techno.:meh:

Bubba is doing alright - he sure hates the satellite dish he has to wear to keep him from shaking or scratching his bandage.:frown:

I'll see you out there next year. :cheers:

Hey Boyd....Glad to hear your boy is OK and you made it home in one piece. I guess now you had a chance to catch up on your sleep!

Believe me Sam - we'll stay clear next year from the couple of friends that 'might' show up. When a van load of college kids, not in to the cruiser seen or SnT showed up, I knew there would be a potential for problems.

I appreciate the way you and Ian handled the situation Saturday evening and thank you for that.

IH8MUD™ Forums - View Single Post - Pismo Beach Headcount Thread

I told you all we were going to be noise, i even said that we were going to camp next to you. Sorry for all the trouble, but I was pissed for having to move camp. This is why i left, we were there first you guys should of moved but at some point everyone in the socal80 camp thought they were there first, when we arrived Thursday. Just think it should be out there, if i had been in my tent i would of flipped out i am glad i was sleeping in the car. I also suggest ear plugs i went to bed at 1am and did not here "team frat house"

Noise is one thing, but a frat party with a bunch of guys that didn't give a damn about SnT and cruisers?

Like I said, I appreciate the way you and Sam handled things. We'll camp elsewhere next year and you can still come over for cobbler!

Seriously though, Boyd, did you set up next to these guys, or did they set up next to you? If you were there, minding your own business, drinking your tea and catching up on your reading, and the Iranian National Beer Chugging Team showed up and crashed your meditation session, I'd say you have a right to get angry. If you set up camp next to these lot already in swing, I'd say you were asking for disturbance. Sober sleep is impossible in that place, without the use of earplugs and multiple Tylenol PM, recommended doses be damned.

I admit I set up after Sam, but I missed the memo on the frat party.:rolleyes:
I had no background knowledge of him or his friends.

There was no party at the time, just some 80's music ;) playing in the background and a couple of tents set up around the SoCal80s camp. I set up my tent away from the center of camp, by the other tents. There was no party already in swing. The bulk of the group arrived well after I had already gone to bed.

This isn't my first SNT, so I had no intention of tea time or meditation. I consumed my share of alcohol, had my earplugs in place. I was just caught off guard by the time, volume and proximity of the revelry.:doh:

Omg sorry about Bubba. I cant stand when animals get hurt dude. Glad you knew what to do.. i probably would have freaked beings that the blood was flowing so much. Good on you and others that got the directions and cellphones out to get the help. Good on the ER vet too.

I have to say that the owners of the other dog stepped up and took responsibility. They helped as much as the could at the time and are willing to pickup the tab. They have checked in daily for updates on his condition.

There are two caretakers of the rest area who deserve a huge pat on the back. They opened up the store room and brought out rolls of paper towels. The lady helped hold Bubba still while I tried to stop the bleeding. Bubba is a mellow dog and an excellent patient, but I would never offer to hold the muzzle of someone elses injured dog like she did. Bubba could obviously sense her compassion and let her hold his head still while I worked on his ear.

The other caretaker gathered together a handfull of heavy duty trash bags to line the interior of my truck before I left. Then stayed with Bubba and calmed him down while I washed the blood off my arms.

80s music - we're not talking about Cyndi Lauper type are we?:D

Well at least at the end of this weekend everybody came home alive and thats a good thing. To Bubba get healed soon and I hope to make SnT next year.

No Cyndi Lauper.:lol: If I had heard that I would have moved immediately:D

Hey Boyd....Glad to hear your boy is OK and you made it home in one piece. I guess now you had a chance to catch up on your sleep!

Sleep, ahhh. Slept in on Sunday and took a nap:clap:

Well, I was there as well and feel the need to voice my views.

• I do remember the post regarding noise but didn't make the direct correlation.
  • I really wasn't too offended, but having someone puking and dry heaving right outside your tent can be a little disheartening.
  • Hanging out with Sam again was great and he is always great company.
  • At some point being removed from the crowd became the same as being right in the middle of the crowd.
  • Alot of "kids" showed up that had no similar interests as far as I was concerned. A Club Wagon full of college kids doesn't qualify as enthusiaststs to me.
  • Once this happened, it was only right that they "distance" themselves (maybe I am too old but that's what I did out of respect at their age).
  • Some may say that our youth have lost respect but I think it's still there, if only a bit latent.
  • I slept well Friday night with infrequent exceptions but I slept a little better with the "ravers" hanging out a little further away Saturday.
  • I think that as long as we age and are willing to give and take, we will continue to get along just fine.
  • The bottom line is that I had a great time.
  • I don't want to make light of Bubba's injury, but that's what what Dober's are forced to go through regularly because of the perception they are born into. I believe that this is less fair than anything we as humans will ever face, voluntarily or otherwise.
  • I hope Bubba is feeling much better, despite the cone:bounce2:
  • The second bottom line is that respect for other's will go further than anything else.
  • "And that's all all I have to say about that", Forrest Gump:D

I wanted to thank Sam and Ian for handeling the party on Saturday night like real gentelmen. And Sam did say a few friends would be coming late friday, I think he was as surprised as we were how things developed. Again thanks guys for handeling the issues Saturday.

Sorry to hear about Bubba Boyd. I am glad he is doing well. Dogs are so tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom