Supercharging 1HZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i would be concerned about shock loading the bearings with an added 40% hp and 35% torque increase from idle...

Wow, leave it to the Aussies to come up with all the neat stuff :)

Roots-type of blowers add a lot of heat to the engine compartment. I wonder if it is an issue for them?

Dave

Wow. I think Wayne is right. Would you want that kind of stress on the engine all the time? I like the idea that when you back off the throttle on a turbo'd engine the engine gets a break.

I have a supercharger on my 1FZ engine and I can tell you that there is still spin up and it is not instant, although you do not see "turbo lag" there is some supercharger lag. The SC can be setup to apply the boost at certain points and for certain duration much like a tubo. The bigest difference (besides costing you HP to drive the SC) is the power is available to utilize sooner with a SC, but the boost numbers are also usually lower, example my boost for my 1fz is 3.5 to 4 lbs however it takes the engine from 212hp (stock) to just a tag under 300hp max. Quite a jump for a 6 banger, the 24 valves have a lot to do with it.

Cheers,

Michael

beanz2 said:
Wow, leave it to the Aussies to come up with all the neat stuff :)

Roots-type of blowers add a lot of heat to the engine compartment. I wonder if it is an issue for them?

Dave

Ive been following the development of the Sprintex blower for about 5 years.
It was originally a high tech British designed version of the roots blower.
They got into financial difficulty and a pom living in oz bought them out and set up here.
According to them the old roots blowers developed heat from friction caused by compressed air leaking past the rotors.
Srintex use special machining techniques to get the tolerances so close the leakage is greatly reduced and the service intervals on the blower are extended.
I read somewhere the maching process takes days in its final stages.

They already have Toyota and GM as customers. I think the toyota MR2 uses a sprintex and the holden V6 motor also.
Ford was nearly a customer but pullled out of the development of a Ford Falcon twin turboed quad cam V8 based on the Mustang engine after they released it at the Melbourne motor show.

As for the added strain on the engine,Ive always believed that any extra HP will wear an engine out quicker.
I just threw it up for discussion:D
Theyve sunk many 10s of million$$ into it so I hope they got it right.

There is a few V8 cruisers and Range Rovers using them and you can really notice the difFerence in accelleration just watching them:D

Do these things have an intercooler built on to them or are they strictly a blower?
Now if i put this on an engine inline with an intercooler and changed the cam to allow the exhaust valve to remain closed longer then it would be a true supercharger worth considering. Until then it is still just a blower IMHO.

silvercrusher said:
Do these things have an intercooler built on to them or are they strictly a blower?
Now if i put this on an engine inline with an intercooler and changed the cam to allow the exhaust valve to remain closed longer then it would be a true supercharger worth considering. Until then it is still just a blower IMHO.

Typically with SC you will not see intercoolers as much as with Turbos because the boost is usually much lower, example typical turbo is 7-10lbs boost, SC typically 2-4 lbs boost.

Cheers,

Michael

I guess i really have a problem with the whole"supercharger " terminology. It is in effect a blower. If you run this after a turbo you have effectivley restricted the turbo to 2-4 psi. Is this what you are saying? Thus eliminating the point of having a turbo.

The only true way of supercharging is to hold the intake valve open as long as possible while keeping the exhaust valve closed as long as possible. Thereby packing air into that cylinder above atmospheric pressure. This can only be acheived by changing the cam angles.

If you have the oportunity to buy an Turbo Kit ( for diesel engine off course ) or change your engine to other with Turbo from factory ( Toyota off course ) what do you do .. ?

Tapage said:
If you have the oportunity to buy an Turbo Kit ( for diesel engine off course ) or change your engine to other with Turbo from factory ( Toyota off course ) what do you do .. ?

Price factor: Buy the kit
Coolness Factor: Buy the HZ

Tapage said:

I think a lot depends on the condition of the engine you have and also if the turbo'd engine will bolt up to your tranny. Example if you have a "b" engine and you want to put a "h" engine in its place, they H55F will have to be swapped out because the input shafts are not the same. In the case of 3B to 13BT tranny is fine and you get rid of glow plugs and go to direct injection so if you can pick one up in good shape at good price (probably from G&S) then might be worth it. Just my 2 cents

Cheers,

Michael

If a blower increases intake presure 2-4 psi, this is above ambient air pressure. If this blower is after a turbo then the ambient air pressure becomes the output of the turbo (7-10 psi). This volume of air is then further compressed by the blower, not reduced to 2-4 psi. Mind you, the efficiency of the blower will not be as high when compressing already compressed air as opposed to atmospheric pressure.

There are a number of complex multiple compounded turbo systems out there that will use a smaller turbo to get decent boost at low rpm's and a bigger one added to the first for higher rpm's and exhaust volume to get insane boose/fuel and thus power. A prime example of this is a kit from BD Performance in the Fraser Valley. They are claiming 450-500 rear wheel HP and roughly 50 pounds of boost. I guess one should make sure their clutch is in good shape for this. BTW, torque would be in the range of 1000 foot pounds.

Keep in mind that one can not just keep compressing compressed air over and over again to get a higher volume of air. Deminishing returns and all that. Besides who wants to be pumping liquid oxygen into their engine?

Just to clarify before anyone gets themselves all worked up, that super B turbo kit is for the Dodge/Cummins, not a Landcruiser. Sorry for any confustion.

Whipple from Fresno Ca, make a fantastic twin screw supercharger its about the best available. Would love one for my H.S.V. V8. Reckon it would be a good unit for a system for a diesel motor also, very efficient indeed.

tlcruiserman said:
I think a lot depends on the condition of the engine you have and also if the turbo'd engine will bolt up to your tranny. Example if you have a "b" engine and you want to put a "h" engine in its place, they H55F will have to be swapped out because the input shafts are not the same. In the case of 3B to 13BT tranny is fine and you get rid of glow plugs and go to direct injection so if you can pick one up in good shape at good price (probably from G&S) then might be worth it. Just my 2 cents

Cheers,

Michael

I make the question only to view alll ideas. In my case here in Panama bring a AXT turbo kit to my 2H engine, I thought that comes no less than 2800 USD, prices sipping, taxes etc .. plus instalation, maybe 3000 or 3200 USD .. easy.

My 2H have total rebuild ( pistones, valves, diesel pump, inyectors all ) after 50k km ( 32 miles aprox ) and stay in really good shape.

In the other hand, we can find ( not easy but can do ) 1HD-T engine with 100 k km on and swap in my HJ-60 , from about 3500 USD.

Off course the point is, used motor, used turbo, who knows about the maintenance, and think in a decent rebuild ( basic ) to a 1HD-T engine, here in Panama, maybe 3000 USD more ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom