Sun roof rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SHERMAN FJ62

Charlestons' King of Cruisers
Threads
I have tried cleaning and lubing up my sunroof to stop the rattles. But it always comes back in a week or two. Have been using silicone spray to lube gasket. Any suggestions on fixing this

I have an after market roof rack that covers it, so I don't really use mine. Rattle was driving me nuts and nothing worked. I rolled up a couple of pieces of a t shirt tight like an egg roll, tilted the sun roof up, jammed them up towards the front, and lowered it back down. Zero rattle. Obviously wont work if you use the sun roof, but if you don't, I guess it's an option.

Hi guys, just bumping this as I now have the same problem in my 09 GX. Coincidentally, or not, it has popped up only a few weeks after installing an after market roof rack. I would not think it's related, but?? In my case the window glass can be moved up or down some on both sides so it is not likely a wind deflector rod causing the issue. Any help is appreciated.

Hi guys, just bumping this as I now have the same problem in my 09 GX. Coincidentally, or not, it has popped up only a few weeks after installing an after market roof rack. I would not think it's related, but?? In my case the window glass can be moved up or down some on both sides so it is not likely a wind deflector rod causing the issue. Any help is appreciated.

I had a very slight rattle before adding an aftermarket roof rack. After the install the rattle became progressively worse. Took to dealer. I discussed the TSB with the techs. They did not think that would fix the issue but were willing to try. They suggested replacing the Housing Sub-Assembly (63203-60031; $1049.58) and the Cable Sub-Assembly (63205-35030; $873.43) would fix the rattle as the cable and other parts are most likely worn. The washer trick did not work for me. I am going to take the plunge and have it fixed as suggested. I just cannot handle the rattle.

You can get the parts cheaper online and DIY. I do not have the time so dealer here I come. I will have the work done in late-February. I will post up results.

I had a very slight rattle before adding an aftermarket roof rack. After the install the rattle became progressively worse. Took to dealer. I discussed the TSB with the techs. They did not think that would fix the issue but were willing to try. They suggested replacing the Housing Sub-Assembly (63203-60031; $1049.58) and the Cable Sub-Assembly (63205-35030; $873.43) would fix the rattle as the cable and other parts are most likely worn. The washer trick did not work for me. I am going to take the plunge and have it fixed as suggested. I just cannot handle the rattle.

You can get the parts cheaper online and DIY. I do not have the time so dealer here I come. I will have the work done in late-February. I will post up results.

What model/brand roof rack and do you run much weight on it? My mechanic quoted up to $1k due to the labor to remove the pillar covers, airbags and headliner to get to the assembly and work on it.

I can't recall any rattle or movement prior to the roof rack but it seems to be getting worse just in the few short weeks since I noticed it.

Andrew can you comment if there is any play with the glass pane when you push on it (sun roof closed)?

Gamiviti roof rack. Have not had a chance to put much weight on it. I can push up on the rear of the class to simulate the rattle with sunroof closed.

The Lexus mechanic said he can unclip the headliner as one unit and pull it out of the back of the vehicle. Will take about four hours to complete the job.

Gamiviti roof rack. Have not had a chance to put much weight on it. I can push up on the rear of the class to simulate the rattle with sunroof closed.

The Lexus mechanic said he can unclip the headliner as one unit and pull it out of the back of the vehicle. Will take about four hours to complete the job.

Interesting - mine is a Gamiviti, too. I haven't had much on it yet, either, at least not for more than a few hours. I can also push up on the glass and get it move. So this sounds like the exact same issue. But you said you noticed some rattle before you put the rack on? PM me and let's talk some more if you don't mind.

So I am in the same camp- can push up on the sunroof to make it rattle, and it got worse when I installed the roof rack. My theory is the wind was pushing down on the glass a little, which was dampening the rattle.. then adding the fairing took that wind away. My other theory is the wind is wrapping up and over the fairing, and creating turbulence on the glass. In either case, I think the real issue is a worn gasket that surrounds the glass, coupled with worn tracks that just don't close the glass as tight as they used to.

So I fixed this today. Started by removing two plastic trim pieces from each side.. just pull them gently and they come off. That exposes 2 T-25 Torx screws per side.. remove those and you can take the glass out. which I did, but ultimately wasn't necessary. What I did discover is the large through hole those screws go through, providing a wide range of adjustment for the glass. So I repositioned the glass at a new, "higher" setting, which I think puts it on a new spot in the gasket. That actually did the trick, I drove around and no more rattle.

I was also reading on a 4Runner forum about someone who just uses the "tilt up" feature to take the slack out of the tracks, so that is also a good tip here had I figured that one out earlier I may have not even dug into the mechanism. So try moving the glass up, see if that makes a difference for you... here are a couple of pictures showing the screw, and the area of adjustment, hope that helps.

IMG_0514.jpg
IMG_0515.jpg

I am literally going to try this right now!

So I am in the same camp- can push up on the sunroof to make it rattle, and it got worse when I installed the roof rack. My theory is the wind was pushing down on the glass a little, which was dampening the rattle.. then adding the fairing took that wind away. My other theory is the wind is wrapping up and over the fairing, and creating turbulence on the glass. In either case, I think the real issue is a worn gasket that surrounds the glass, coupled with worn tracks that just don't close the glass as tight as they used to.

So I fixed this today. Started by removing two plastic trim pieces from each side.. just pull them gently and they come off. That exposes 2 T-25 Torx screws per side.. remove those and you can take the glass out. which I did, but ultimately wasn't necessary. What I did discover is the large through hole those screws go through, providing a wide range of adjustment for the glass. So I repositioned the glass at a new, "higher" setting, which I think puts it on a new spot in the gasket. That actually did the trick, I drove around and no more rattle.

I was also reading on a 4Runner forum about someone who just uses the "tilt up" feature to take the slack out of the tracks, so that is also a good tip here had I figured that one out earlier I may have not even dug into the mechanism. So try moving the glass up, see if that makes a difference for you... here are a couple of pictures showing the screw, and the area of adjustment, hope that helps.

View attachment 1683482 View attachment 1683483

It definitely helped. Less, but still there (mine is very old). extremely easy. Pop off the two plastic pieces, loosen (they are VERY short) the two screws, push up, tighten. replace plastic. I added some more rubber goo I got from Germany to swell up my old ass glass rubber and hope it helps even more now.

I'll be trying this as well, the rattling drives me nuts!

No worries about leaks or is this a slight adjustment that doesnt really effect the seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom