Suggestions on getting my 99 LC ready to rent some travel trailers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have never been good about taking my own advice, but for years I have suggested to others that they should rent rvs, boats, trailers, etc. before they buy. So I find myself increasingly interested in travel trailers but I have never towed one / slept in one. So I want to get my 1999 stock land cruiser ready to rent a variety of trailers over the next year (all under 4,000 lbs.) I may find I just like renting, or I may find something I like so much I must buy one. I want, however, to have my truck ready for a problem free rental. The four issues that come to mind are:

I. I have a factory hitch (I think), here is the label on it: It seems to be in good shape, so I am thinking I would be ok with this hitch??
IMAG2202.jpg

II. Wiring. I have a live 4 pole, flat connector I have used to pull rental utility trailers, but I think I need a 7 pin round connector and a brake controller. (My 4 pole connector connects up to factory wiring above the spare tire.)

I am thinking of using:
Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
A wiring kit like: Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires e
Does this sound right?

III. Air bags. I'm thinking as soon as I hook up, my headlights are going to be blinding oncoming motorists and bobcats on nearby hills, so I need a way to push up my backend. I'm thinking of:

AIR LIFT 60728 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit (the one suggested by the air lift web site.)

IV. I have 160,000 miles on my truck, should I replace the springs (about $400 for Toyota parts)?

Thanks for your help.

Gil
Ventura, CA

Everything above sounds good to me. Definitely add a 7-pin so you gain integrated brake controller wiring. I would add this though: get a Scangauge2 or other OBD2 reader and add the X-Codes to see Transmission Temps. That would be absolutely critical IMO. You can do a LOT of damage if you're not monitoring the trans temps and let them get too high for too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom