Suggestions for subwoofer placement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
Recently while replacing my rr fender flare I had the right rear inner panel off where the stock sub is located and was eyeballing the fair amount of room and available bracing. :hmm: My 10" sub box is often in the way and I am thinking of having the sub removed from the box and installed behind that panel. I would like to keep it stock-ish looking and avoid any vibration transfer from the panel. The factory sub and electronics in this area are not being used and I would be removing those and installing the 10" speaker. The amp is already located elsewhere so the speaker is the only item needing installed there.

Anyone try this already? Looking for some pics or ideas :idea:

Thanks in advance~

Murf

3123_188608585227_539070227_6637456_7024694_n.jpg

I put mine behind just behind the 2nd row. The shelf thing holds them down.

I have heard that the spare tire space is HUGE. :clap: I'm working with BUMP IT OFF ROAD to get the spare tire moved and open up that space. Just not sure how to make workable/easy access. I also have a few thoughts bout replace the stock sub. Would like to know what you do.

:cheers:

I'm not sure a subwoofer would hold up too well in the spare tire area...

Better use for the spare tire area :D:
n539070227_3834441_4766.jpg

My spare is out as well and I have that room but dont know if cutting the floor to allow for a sub will 1) tak away the mount points for the 3rd row seat which I want to keep 2) Wonder about spills, leaking cooler, etc getting into the speaker if placed into the floor. It is worth some investigation I agree.

Here is a picture I found in search of the basic idea, but want to try to integrate the original panel...some more food for thought. I will be talking to a professional stereo installer and see what ideas he has.

attachment.php

Big bang for least buck for 'REAL' sub

Hi, I liked this idea about using the dead space in the LX right rear quarter panel (stock rear sub location for the LC) for a "real" sub. I am doing mine today and will take pics of the sub enclosure behind the panel. It's a 4" depth there by the way leaving room for an MDF or fiberglass box rather than a "free air" install which research showed was not ideal. This solution also kept my rear cargo area free as I have gear, dogs, kids etc. coming in and out of the rear cargo area all the time. The 10"speaker grill will be flush mount to the face of the plastic quarter panel with a Rockford Fosgate amp mounted in that space as well there as well and powered direct to the battery. After lots of searches and thought on this I decided to abandon the stock amp completely and the feeble 4" sub at the LX center console location. New cup holder location? Will post up pics when all done tomorrow. Total cost. $200 even.

-Shane

My spare is out as well and I have that room but dont know if cutting the floor to allow for a sub will 1) tak away the mount points for the 3rd row seat which I want to keep 2) Wonder about spills, leaking cooler, etc getting into the speaker if placed into the floor. It is worth some investigation I agree.

Here is a picture I found in search of the basic idea, but want to try to integrate the original panel...some more food for thought. I will be talking to a professional stereo installer and see what ideas he has.

attachment.php

IMAG0746.jpg
IMAG0747.jpg

This is what i did for my 94' Land Cruiser. This was my first attempt at an enclosure for the LC and its has its ups and downs.

1. The details
- 10 inch Pioneer sub (TSSW251) It is a shallow mount needing 3 inches basically.​
- the box is 3/4 mdf ... could have gone 1/2 but didn't. the front is flat but the back starts to taper in just before the top of the sub.​
- i don't get any vibrations and the panel snaps fully into place minus a couple bottom clips i took off as the box was in the way. (very bottom next to floor carpet)​

2. Space Lost
- Ashtray: I should have made the box a bit shorter length wise as it made its way into the rear ashtray space. About an inch shorter and i wouldnt have needed to remove that.​
- Side storage:There really was no way to keep the side storage space... I could have made the box even smaller but i think the sound quality really would suffer.​
- I am going to paint the box black and you can see the mdf through the stock speaker grill​

3. The amp
I am not sure where i am going to mount this... right now it is just laying in the back. There is room on the other side behind that back panel above the stock jack. I think this is where it will go unless i get a smaller amp. The amp i have is roughly 7" by 8" by 2" ... and is 300 watt bridged rms.​

4. The sound
- the sound is different than i would have expected. The low end is HUGE. if you want low boomy bass than this size seems to do it great. Where it lacks is hard hitting higher frequencies. Not 100% sure but think the small box size and sealed enclosure make it hard for the sub to move quick enough for that fast punch (could be way off here ??)​

I think i will try for another version next making it a bit shorter so i can put the ashtray back in. I may use 1/2 MDF this time. Also there is quite a bit of space right below the sub in my picture. This box ends right below the sub (basically at the rear floor level). I think i can extend the enclosure so it goes down into that space below the floor 3-5 inches maybe. I haven't calculated the exact volume of my current box but expect it is around .5 cubic feet or most likely a bit less which is right in line with the spec for this sub in a sealed box.

Overall i am happy with it, but wish it had a bit more punch at the higher end of the lows. It has great boomy lows as is and surprised me tons for a 10". i used to have 4 12"s in a pathfinder and then 2 12"s in grand am. I don't really care for super boomy bass anymore and really am just looking for nice clean sound. I would even be curious how the pioneer 8 would sound...

Anyways i thought everyone on the forum might like to see what i did as i know a lot of people are interested in what to do for a semi stock like sub replacement.
IMAG0746.jpg
IMAG0747.jpg

View attachment 391876
View attachment 391877

This is what i did for my 94' Land Cruiser. This was my first attempt at an enclosure for the LC and its has its ups and downs.

1. The details
- 10 inch Pioneer sub (TSSW251) It is a shallow mount needing 3 inches basically.​
- the box is 3/4 mdf ... could have gone 1/2 but didn't. the front is flat but the back starts to taper in just before the top of the sub.​
- i don't get any vibrations and the panel snaps fully into place minus a couple bottom clips i took off as the box was in the way. (very bottom next to floor carpet)​
2. Space Lost
- Ashtray: I should have made the box a bit shorter length wise as it made its way into the rear ashtray space. About an inch shorter and i wouldnt have needed to remove that.​
- Side storage:There really was no way to keep the side storage space... I could have made the box even smaller but i think the sound quality really would suffer.​
- I am going to paint the box black and you can see the mdf through the stock speaker grill​
3. The amp
I am not sure where i am going to mount this... right now it is just laying in the back. There is room on the other side behind that back panel above the stock jack. I think this is where it will go unless i get a smaller amp. The amp i have is roughly 7" by 8" by 2" ... and is 300 watt bridged rms.​
4. The sound
- the sound is different than i would have expected. The low end is HUGE. if you want low boomy bass than this size seems to do it great. Where it lacks is hard hitting higher frequencies. Not 100% sure but think the small box size and sealed enclosure make it hard for the sub to move quick enough for that fast punch (could be way off here ??)​
I think i will try for another version next making it a bit shorter so i can put the ashtray back in. I may use 1/2 MDF this time. Also there is quite a bit of space right below the sub in my picture. This box ends right below the sub (basically at the rear floor level). I think i can extend the enclosure so it goes down into that space below the floor 3-5 inches maybe. I haven't calculated the exact volume of my current box but expect it is around .5 cubic feet or most likely a bit less which is right in line with the spec for this sub in a sealed box.

Overall i am happy with it, but wish it had a bit more punch at the higher end of the lows. It has great boomy lows as is and surprised me tons for a 10". i used to have 4 12"s in a pathfinder and then 2 12"s in grand am. I don't really care for super boomy bass anymore and really am just looking for nice clean sound. I would even be curious how the pioneer 8 would sound...

Anyways i thought everyone on the forum might like to see what i did as i know a lot of people are interested in what to do for a semi stock like sub replacement.

I bet you can mount the amp on the in roof(inside). I have seen installs like this when room is at a premium. It would be just like mounting a roof rack upside down. There are support beams up there to attach it too. If i would to do it, i would use an aluminum plate since it would be lighter and stronger than wood.:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Last edited:
my sub replacement

This is what I did, or had done.

DSCF0505.JPG

DSCF0508.JPG

DSCF0512.JPG

It's the 10 inch size woofer that's getting juice from an Alpine 600watt rms mono block. I can't remember the model number, it's been over 4 years owning this amp. But the amp is not pushing that amount of power, maybe 200 watts rms. I had this amp pushing two of these Pioneers in my reg cab p/u, and it pounded hard if you turned it up, but nothing that the neighbors would complain about. Very clean sub if powered right and dialed in. Anyways, my $.02

edit: *poor quality photos, sorry*

thanks guys, exactly what I have been looking for. Appreciate the photos.

:cheers:

So what have you decided on Murf? ;)

So what have you decided on Murf? ;)

Theres a local stereo guy that is very talented and just did a custom fiberglass 10" enclosure for a coworkers Tundra. He just opened his shop and is looking for some business and to get his name out there = so very enticing type pricing.

I need to get that speaker box out-the-way just like these other guys did.

Now to find some extra cash laying around....;)

:hmm: so I wonder what the guy would charge if he did a set up for two 80's at the same time? I am only looking for a speaker and the enclosure, I can install myself because I am connecting it to my aftermarket amp.

That would be awesome... but I have a 93 headliner

I considered this setup for awhile. What killed it for me was the down time of the rig being in the shop. The roof needed to be reinforced to support the sub(s) and possible amp(s). Yup, headliner is either altered or custom made.

murf, keep us posted on your decision, with pictures if you can. I would like to see the outcome myself.

View attachment 391876
View attachment 391877

1. The details
- 10 inch Pioneer sub (TSSW251) It is a shallow mount needing 3 inches basically.
- the box is 3/4 mdf ... could have gone 1/2 but didn't. the front is flat but the back starts to taper in just before the top of the sub.

I know this is an old thread but does anyone have the outer dimensions of this box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom