Sudden downshifting with A442F and help locating transmission wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey folks!

I'm on a weekend trip in Truckee and have a new problem on my '93 FZJ80 with the A442F automatic transmission (there's also an HDT-1 engine swap). I'm not too knowledgeable about cruisers so forgive me if my questions are a bit easy.

So I'm getting sudden downshifting when driving on the highway. It seems like it'll suddenly go down a gear, I'll watch the RPMs rev, and then it'll jump back up to the correct gear. Happening maybe once a minute or so and it's pretty jarring and can feel unsafe. The rpms aren't redlining so it seems like it's only going form 4th to 3rd, but if I turn off the O/D it seems to pop form 3rd to 2nd randomly as well. (or maybe it's always jumping the 2nd?)

I called a transmission shop, and they can't look at it soon but they suggested the problem might be as simple as a corroded transmission wiring harness. That sound like a possible culprit? I want to try their advice, disconnect the wiring, clean and check the wires a bit, and then try again.

Now my stupid question: Where in my engine compartment can I actually find the transmission wiring harness? The Toyota A442F manual just says to do this:
upload_2018-1-27_15-0-17.png

Unfortunately, that's not quite enough info for me.

I also know from the manual the wiring should look something like this:
upload_2018-1-27_15-1-37.png

But looking around my engine I wasn't able to locate this. Any tips on where in the compartment I can find that connector? Will it involve removing other parts of the engine to make it accessible? If anyone happens to have a picture of their transmission's wiring's location around, that'd be super helpful.

I'm traveling in Truckee at the moment and just hoping I fix this at least enough to make it back home to the bay area where I can really dig in on the problem.

hope everyone's rigs are holding up better than mine!
cheers

You are in the mountains at high elevation. Sounds normal to me. Not only will the transmission downshift/upshift but the torque convertor is going to unlock/lock both which cause RPMs to jump.

I've done this drive many times in my rig and never gotten this behavior before! The downshifts are very sudden and correct themselves a second later even when on flat ground. I'm fairly sure it's not normal behavior and the sudden jerks cause a sharp deceleration which can feel unsafe on the highway.

Hi,
From your original post, I'm assuming this happens on a straight flat road and you did say 1-HDT
When this happened to me it was the throttle position sensor, sat on top of the injection pump.
Basically the carbon track is worn out, (think crackly volume on your Hi-Fi). Gearbox ECU doesn't know what the throttle opening is.
Mine wore out at 170K, next one still going at 351K
Hope this helps.

Hi,
From your original post, I'm assuming this happens on a straight flat road and you did say 1-HDT
When this happened to me it was the throttle position sensor, sat on top of the injection pump.
Basically the carbon track is worn out, (think crackly volume on your Hi-Fi). Gearbox ECU doesn't know what the throttle opening is.
Mine wore out at 170K, next one still going at 351K
Hope this helps.
Reviving this thread as I'm over a thousand miles from home with the family on vacation and mine is doing this bad. We are in a hotel room as I type because I didn't want to continue. Was it the TPS?

I’m encountering this exact same issue. My 1994 80 down shifts suddenly then recovers . Happens more frequently when I’m light on the throttle, maybe close to a down shift. Also seems associated with left turns. Might just be the light throttle when turning. Things I’ve checked:
-transmission fluid hot running level (perfect)
-kickdown cable adjustment (perfect)
-TPS (perfect)

Have others resolved their scary down shifts? What was found to be the issue??

FWIW the A442F Automatic transmission has more issues with it's solenoids (causing odd shifting behavior) compared to the later A343F.

Last edited:
This isn't totally relevant, however I had a Honda Accord that exhibited the same behavior on the highway, eventually it wouldn't upshift and then keep downshifting. Eventually it wouldn't go past first gear. The issue was the solenoids would clog with clutch material. This sounds somewhat similar to what you're experiencing, and it sounds like you may need to replace the solenoids.

My A442F would shift terribly also, it would start in 2nd gear at times. Replacing the solenoids fixed all issues. Cheap and fairly easy job.

I had a full motor reseal done after developing the dreaded timing cover pry point leak. My transmission had run cool and flawless prior to that. Frustrating because it seems like a setting/adjustment issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom