Sub Tank Straps - 80 v. 105 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do I have 105 series straps?

I'm finally close to installing the sub tank, and it arrived from Australia with the straps pictured here. They have a hinge at each end, and when I'm mocking up the fit under the car, they seem to each be a few inches too long. Additionally, the longer hinge doesn't seem to fit in the fore or aft position.

Possibly 105 straps.JPG

I'm thinking about trying to modify the straps rather than spend $60 plus shipping from Japan for proper straps. If anyone has used 105 straps with an 80 tank before, I'd appreciate advice regarding things to do or avoid.

You have nothing to lose except some of your time. Try to modify them.

They look like the correct straps. The larger end with the angle bracket mounts in the hole above the frame at the axle. The smaller end toward the bumper. Your tank looks similar to mine with the pump in the tank, although there are several obvious differences.

P0002373.jpg

Where are you finding these tanks? I've looked and looked. I've even tried to get them shipped from Australia, but I'm still tankless.

They pop up from time to time on ebay Australia. If you have an ebay account change the setting to Australia and search. However be advised that finding the tank is only half the battle. Getting a seller to agree to ship is another. I got stiffed on the first tank I purchased but found another once I had some more money saved up.

I guess the shipper didn't have any trouble shipping a used tank? I thought that was a major hang-up, unless a tank is new and have never contained fuel. How did you make out with finding a dual filler neck? I think that is the hardest part to locate these days.

I contacted the seller on AU eBay before I bid and ensured they would completely dry it out, box it and ship it vis Aussie Post's SeaMail. It worked well one of the two times I tried. The other time there was apparently some difficulty with the local post office regarding residual fumes, and I eventually gave up on it. This was some years ago, so it is possible that SeaMail shipping restrictions or maximum package dimensions have since changed.

The filler neck was purchased from SOR. Incidentally, they do show a sub-tank package available for those willing to bear the price.

Is it a diesel or gas filler neck?

Yea those straps don't look right to me either and mine don't have part numbers on them. One side only has the hinge
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421288778.748852.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom