Stupid tires, Don't buy Goodyear MT's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a set of Hummer H1 wheels and tires, welded new centers and mounted the Hummer tires with the rubber runflats. I figured that the tires would hold up out here cuz its mostly mud pits or muddy trails. Well, I went wheeling this weekend and the Goodyear Wrangler MT's were hooking up good until the second to last trail. Wasn't even that bad of a trail but I had a huge rip in my sidewall that started leaking air. On the way home I was driving and my passenger was like, whats that noise, so we realized that another tire was busted. Got off the hwy to take a look, as soon as we got off the tire blew out. I had already used my spare and couldn't get a hold of anyone that had a yota 6 lug wheel and tire. We decided that since I had the runflats that we could limp to my friends house and get one of his tires from his ride. Not so, got a mile down the road going 20 and the tire started to chunk pieces of sidewall everywhere. Pulled over at zippy's and my friend called his wife to pick him up so he could get a tire for me. He got back, threw the tire on and off we went. Thanks to him, I made it home.

Lesson, don't cheap out on tires, they will leave you stranded. And, there is a reason they sell those tires so cheap, now I know why. They are POOP!!!!!!!!
P5090057.jpg

Musta damaged them somehow. Tires just don't fly apart on their own. Our military doesn't seem to have this problem.

Pretty sure GY has not made that pattern for years. Likely just 15 year old tires coming apart after wheeling. No big deal.

Pretty sure GY has not made that pattern for years. Likely just 15 year old tires coming apart after wheeling. No big deal.

Exactly, just cause a tire has a reasonable amountof tread on it does not mean anything..

those tires had weak sidewals from the factory. Age does not help anything.

Good thing the new ones are made with Kevlar :)

-Carl

dang Jesse! Bummer... so what are you going to replace them with?
Hey, whats up. I saw your article in the Toyota Trails Mag. I havent had time to read it yet, got finals this week.
I'm looking at 37x13.5 pitbull rockers if I can get them before I have to take the cruiser to Kauai, if not there is a set of 38x12.5 SX's for sale, but have been stored outside for a couple of years under a tarp. I would much rather have new tires but no one stocks tires for a 16.5" rim on island. Ahh, the fruits of living on a tropical island.

This is why the goodyear MT/R's are so popular now. Maximum Traction/ Reinforced (sidewalls).

that does suck big time.

believe it or not but gy still makes these tires for the govt. I have worked on a base recently where they rebuild H1s and they put the exact same tire on new.

Explain further: "Hummer H1 wheels and tires, welded new centers"

What's the rim size, what centers did you use, & what did the offset end up at?

They are the 12 bolt H1 wheels that are 16.5x8.25. They originally come with a 8 lug pattern with 7 or so inches of backspacing. I contacted MadMac on pirate and he hooked me up with his friend in San Diego that sold the same centers as him, mostly because MadMac didn't have anymore 6 lug pressed centers. I cut out the old lug pattern and welded in the new centers at 3" of backspacing. I hope that answers your questions, if not LMK.

Yup, same thing happened to me. I inherited my Dad's Blazer when he died. The tires looked brand new because he almost never drove it in the 10 years before he passed away. I made it home from Las Vegas to Reno and a week later the entire tread came off the PS rear tire on the freeway.

I agree, these tires do suck, but for different reasons that you have.. I spent most of the day yesterday mounting these same tires on aluminum wheels, no biggie, except for the part where the customer wanted to keep the runflats on a one piece wheel.

Also something to look for that I know has been discussed here on Mud before. Sometimes even when buying "new" tires, you run the risk of getting "brand new" old tires. This meaning the tires (especially our kind of tires) may have been made a year or 2 or 3 ago, but never sold until now. Let your tire store know you intend to refuse old "new" tires prior to buying & they can make sure you get fresh ones from the supplier. Lots of people never think of this & it goes on without a problem, buy why risk it.

The only good offroad tire dealer on the island is 4wheelparts. They usually don't stock many of the odd sizes like mine and from what ive heard from others, they don't stock a lot of popular sizes as well. Don't know if its cuz they sell out of them or what, but a lot of wheelers have to order them. Thats a good call on the age of the tires though, never really thought of how long they have been on the shelf.

Yup, same thing happened to me. I inherited my Dad's Blazer when he died. The tires looked brand new because he almost never drove it in the 10 years before he passed away. I made it home from Las Vegas to Reno and a week later the entire tread came off the PS rear tire on the freeway.
I don't really see how this is possible without streaching the crap out of the runflat. I would also think that you couldn't use both pieces of the runflat because the tire would not be able to go on the wheel.
Anyhoo, I know not to run these tires again, only the knarliest tires from now on. I don't want to be the guy always taking a strap because I can't pull my big ass through the sloppy stuff.

The only good offroad tire dealer on the island is 4wheelparts. They usually don't stock many of the odd sizes like mine and from what ive heard from others, they don't stock a lot of popular sizes as well. Don't know if its cuz they sell out of them or what, but a lot of wheelers have to order them. Thats a good call on the age of the tires though, never really thought of how long they have been on the shelf.

Have you tried tirerack.com I work at a goodyear store and we even use the rack every once in awhile to find something that we dont always carry :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom