Stupid Question - Main EFI Relay Doesn't Want To Come Out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a trick to this? I don't want to break it off in the fuse box. I feel stupid asking this question, so fire away...

Is there a trick to this? I don't want to break it off in the fuse box. I feel stupid asking this question, so fire away...
Maybe corrosion? Interested to hear why you are replacing? I'm having some engine stuttering at times and have replaced fuel pump/filter recently but have read these EFI relays and fuses could be a cause for my symptoms. Going to order replacements to see if it helps. Thanks

Maybe corrosion? Interested to hear why you are replacing? I'm having some engine stuttering at times and have replaced fuel pump/filter recently but have read these EFI relays and fuses could be a cause for my symptoms. Going to order replacements to see if it helps. Thanks

I can see at least one plastic clip on the side that needs to be lifted up for the relay to release. There appears to also be a tab that needs to be depressed. No matter what I do it's not wanting to lift up, and I don't want to break it off in the fuse box. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so it's almost sill that this relay is giving me problems.

I'm replacing it because my truck has recently been doing the crank and no start issue. Cranks really strong, but won't start. If I turn the key to the ACC position, and wait a few seconds it always starts afterwards. I've also had the truck die when I came to a stop at an intersection. This where I'm going to start. I think it's time to replace the fuel pump just for piece of mind (288k miles), but I really don't think it's the culprit.

Have you changed the fuel filter yet?

Come on guys, I can’t be the only one to have ever run into this issue?

Look at the Immobilizer Bypass thread. Some good info in there and he eludes to having a similar problem with his truck. From what I gather it is a basic corroding of connections resulting in some resistance and voltage loss. Enough so that the voltage is just under the amount to be able to "wake-up" the relay and thus your having it sit in ACC mode gives it enough time to energize and then start the vehicle accordingly.

Look at the Immobilizer Bypass thread. Some good info in there and he eludes to having a similar problem with his truck. From what I gather it is a basic corroding of connections resulting in some resistance and voltage loss. Enough so that the voltage is just under the amount to be able to "wake-up" the relay and thus your having it sit in ACC mode gives it enough time to energize and then start the vehicle accordingly.

Thanks. My main concern is getting the relay out of the socket without breaking it.

I can see at least one plastic clip on the side that needs to be lifted up for the relay to release. There appears to also be a tab that needs to be depressed. No matter what I do it's not wanting to lift up, and I don't want to break it off in the fuse box.

I believe the 2 plastic clips on the sides need to be lifted. I don't see any tab needs to be depressed. Please let me know if you want to see more pictures.

relay1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom