Stuff that fixes leaky seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I was at the parts store ysterday and saw something that you add to your oil. It fixes leaky seals.

I look at this in the same way as "loose 20 lbs in 10 days with no diet or exercise."

Anyone have any experiance with these kinds of additives? I have the normal "slow ooze" of an old engine. Not leaking anything significant.

Ken

The only thing that fixes leaky seals are tools and new parts.

Everything else is a white elephant.

Good luck!

-Steve

The "fix it in a can" additives are usually made of stuff that softens hard seals. At the same time it also soften seals that don't need to be any softer, causing other problems.

They MIGHT help in the short term, but it's usually a last ditch effort to get a few more miles.

Well, I did try it in my PS. I've got a F150 with 120K and it had an annoying quarter sized drip everytime I parked it. Only annoyed me when it was parked in my driveway, but I put in a pint of...I believe, a LucasOil product. It took about a week, but it stopped. I just didn't want to spend 350-400 for a rebuilt box. It has been in there about 6 months, no drip. The truck is a '94, so not as old as our LC's, but...
Ed Long

a mech friend of mine suggested i tried some of that in my transfer case and engine when i was trying to get it roadworthy. haven't lost a drop since in 3 oil changes... not a permanent fix though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom