Leaky wheel cylinder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to bleed the drum brakes, and got leaky drivers wheel cylinder.

Thinking about replacing all 8. Any recommendations on brand and where to buy.

Also, are the wheel cylinders all the same?

Last edited:
X2, not all the same and be certain they are installed in the correct location and orientation

you didn't state what year you are working on, if early single circuit look into adding dual circuit system

Wheel cylinders are an easy rebuild, if you can find the kits...

The rebuild kits are available from reliable Cruiser vendors, as well as RockAuto. There is a difference in kits between front axle and rear, and when removing and reinstalling the individual wheel cylinders the specific orientation matters (front left wheel, forward cylinder vs. rear, etc.). This is to correctly position the star wheel adjusters to rotate when manipulated with a drum brake tool through the service hole.

Rebuilding all eight is straightforward and simple, but does take some time if you want to clean them up a bit and paint them before reinstalling. The biggest obstacle will be if your star wheel adjusting screws are rusted and/or seized - that was my biggest hurdle. When reassembling and installing, use anti-seize on all threads and mating surfaces.

Since rebuilding all eight of mine, with new shoes and drums properly bled and adjusted, I can stop on a dime and stand the truck on its' nose.

Good luck!
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom