1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuff that fixes leaky seals

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Romer, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I was at the parts store ysterday and saw something that you add to your oil. It fixes leaky seals.

I look at this in the same way as "loose 20 lbs in 10 days with no diet or exercise."

Anyone have any experiance with these kinds of additives? I have the normal "slow ooze" of an old engine. Not leaking anything significant.

Ken

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    The only thing that fixes leaky seals are tools and new parts.

Everything else is a white elephant.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. dinkleberry

dinkleberry

The "fix it in a can" additives are usually made of stuff that softens hard seals. At the same time it also soften seals that don't need to be any softer, causing other problems.

They MIGHT help in the short term, but it's usually a last ditch effort to get a few more miles.

4. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I did try it in my PS. I've got a F150 with 120K and it had an annoying quarter sized drip everytime I parked it. Only annoyed me when it was parked in my driveway, but I put in a pint of...I believe, a LucasOil product. It took about a week, but it stopped. I just didn't want to spend 350-400 for a rebuilt box. It has been in there about 6 months, no drip. The truck is a '94, so not as old as our LC's, but...
    Ed Long

5. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

a mech friend of mine suggested i tried some of that in my transfer case and engine when i was trying to get it roadworthy. haven't lost a drop since in 3 oil changes... not a permanent fix though.

6. Jman

Jman

I used some Lucas additive in my oil, stopped my few drips but made it hard to start in the cold??? So I drained it and put fresh dino in, and whaddya know, drips stayed gone a year later.