Stuck starter - B engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello legends

Got a bit of an issue with my 1979 BJ40 starter stuck on. I hopped in to start it like normal and it stayed cranking and I can’t get it to stop. Tried turning the ignition off and back on with no change. Even with no keys in the ignition it keeps cranking. If I cut the fuel and pull the battery cable the engine dies and the starter stops. But with the engine off, no keys in the ignition, and as soon as I hook the battery up it starts cranking again. Seems like there is an electrical problem somewhere?

-Maybe time for a new ignition switch?
-Maybe a loose wire inside the solenoid making contact with something and shorting it in the on position?

I checked all the grounds and everything seems tight.

I tried the “hit it” technique and nothing. Will try it again with a bigger hammer 🤷🏻‍♂️ But it seems that should only work with an already running engine? At least how I understand it.

Not sure if this is relevant but when I reconnect the battery cable it arch’s like nobodies business. Pretty much has blown away all of my positive terminal post.

Any help would be great.

1979 BJ40 with a B engine. 24volt system

One choice is Fix the starter!
Otherwise disconnect the starter and get good at parking on a hill and popping the clutch to start.

One choice is Fix the starter!
Otherwise disconnect the starter and get good at parking on a hill and popping the clutch to start.
Great idea! Why didn’t I think of that? 🤣

Guess the point of this thread is I have no idea what I am doing. Hoping someone who had a similar experience or someone with more knowledge can help point me in the right direction. Electrical VS mechanical? Ignition switch VS starter Solenoid? Dogs VS Cats?

You need to isolate the problem.
Try bypassing the ignition. Without using the key try engaging the starter with a jumper from main supply at starter to the solenoid.
If you don't know which one a quick jab should do. Otherwise pull the starter and bench test with a good jumper cable to the starters + supply and again a jumper . Be certain to use the other jumper to supply ground to tge starter and the batteries - post

The BJ40 has a Starter Relay, perhaps the contacts have fused closed or perhaps there's a permanent 12V+ on the trigger wire. I suspect the relay will be up in your left hand side footwell but I'm not sure, thats where its located in the HJ47s in Australia (Passenger footwell). The same wiring diagram applies to the BJ40 but the location of the relay may flip between right-hand-drive-vehicles and wrong-hand-drive-vehicles.

1623359810091.png

Diagram download link: HJ47/BJ40 Wiring Diagram

Last edited:
@duncanrm 🤣 “wrong hand”

I will look into that! That seems like the best first step before I go messing with the ignition.

@Squash I will try to isolate it first. Right now it is engaged with no key even in the ignition. I wonder if I can take the ignition out of the equation and see if that alone fixes the problem 🤷🏻‍♂️

@Squash so it looks like there are 2 wires running to the starter. 1 from the battery to the starter and another that appears to come from inside the cab to the starter. I disconnected the one from the cab in an attempt to “isolate” out the ignition switch or starter relay as issues.

I then attached the battery and the starter is still engaged and cranking!

Thoughts?

5F4B0569-B2D6-4DB4-81A3-643A14E510C6.jpeg

Well the starter would seem to be faulty.

Time to pull the starter and repair.
Not to complicated, start looking for a solenoid and you can normally have them rebuilt by a starter/alternator shop.

sounds like the starter solenoid plunger contacts have fused and stuck together. Take the solenoid apart and separate them- you should be able to get new contacts to replace them if they are burned or otherwise messed up.

@Freewheel 👌🏻 Any recommendations on where to get the new contacts and maybe a new plunger while I am in there?

Once I have it out I’m hoping to have some part numbers.

take it apart, give it a good cleaning, use Emory clothe to clean up some of the contacts. You can also use a file.

I was given this lead a while back by a fellow murder. I have ordered from them without issue.
ppartsou.com

The site I like using is the toyodiy.com site and use the function where you search the part number and checks what other model uses the same part.

Aha, glad my advice worked out... It was more than a few years ago for me, and i got new contacts from Toyota for a reasonable price. If not available from Toyota then Partsouq may have them. Not sure what their availability is today. Let us know what you find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom