Strongest drill bit . t (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
Hell .. I was puting my new 30 spine set yesterday and well had a broken stud to fix .. ok no problem, use one of my Erwing extractors but something went wrong and manage to broke it .. and then there start my nighmare ..

I almost spend 6 hours driling a hole in there.. today ( after bunch of hours drilling ) one of my DeWalt cobal bits tip broke in the hole ! :frown: was the very tip of the 5/64 bit ..

So asking for the best option to pull that broken hub stud ..

Carbide bits ?

thanks !

David

You are now into where you need carbide bits if want to continue trying to drill all the bits and pieces out. Carbide won't do well unless you can use a drill press or a milling machine. It's too brittle in that small of size to handle too much side flex.

You might also try welding a nut to the pieces to try and bring them out. I've also used various center punches to try and break the drill bit pieces out of holes. Has worked for me when I broke the tips off center drills. If you can find a machine shop with a tap disintegrater they could burn the busted pieces out for you. Not sure how common that is in Panama though.

Good luck!
Nick

thanks Nick ..

Unlucky to me the stud isn't flush with the outer surface .. it's a bit deep inside the stud hole .. that makes complicated the welding part .. looks like my only choice it's pull the damn hub and disc again and bring it to a local machine shop to see if they can make the miracle ..

if the drill bit is broken off in there you can try beating on it and breaking it with a punch and hammer or needle nose pliars and blowing air in there . you can do it with carbide but it will take hours , and you might break it .

i would just go out back and grab my spare hub . some one must have one for less than the machining bill .

a picture of your misfortune might help .

will take a pic tonight ..

Good friend here recommend that way .. just another hub .. but to me it's matter or honor right now ! :D

pics of the winner ..

BTW pic of the F broken stud ..

main.php

main.php

I'm goint to the machine shop tomorrow ..

You can weld on it. A tig welder would give you more control, but you could line the hole with copper wire to prevent the weld from sticking to the hub and use a mig or stick welder. Once you build it up, you can weld a nut on it and turn it out.

I have no such experience or ability to weld on that place .. but I would see what they have to said about that .. but must be something to drill that tap .. or not ?

Updates tomorrow .. ;)

thanks for all your comments and ideas guys ..

trying to get a decent weld on a HSS cobalt coated drill bit will be tough, lotta carbon in HSS. Another option is to use a small welding tip on a oxy-acetylene set. put the heat on the bit/stud and when it's orange hot, crank the oxygen up on torch. if it's hot enough it will oxydize(burn) the center out, and you can chip away at it with a punch to break it out chip by chip.

I used to get mine bits in LIttle Rock, Arkansas. I believe they are called Mine Supply. Ill look for there bus. card MIke

I used to get mine bits in LIttle Rock, Arkansas. I believe they are called Mine Supply. Ill look for there bus. card MIke

pic if the kit Mike ..? just to know that I need to search ..

Another option is to use a small welding tip on a oxy-acetylene set. put the heat on the bit/stud and when it's orange hot, crank the oxygen up on torch. if it's hot enough it will oxydize(burn) the center out, and you can chip away at it with a punch to break it out chip by chip.

This is how I resolved it when I broke a bolt extractor off in my frame trying to remove a seized bolt. Took my buddy < 5 minutes to blow that sucker out.

Looks like both your previous drill holes went down the side. Use a punch to get a small hole in the center, where the steel is still that of the stud, and drill a new hole.

Then you can break yet another extractor before you weld something on it.:doh:

The weld will nicely heat up the hub around the stud.

I did a similar thing on the hub of my suburban, and it came out easy when I removed it from the truck and had it on the bench.

$25 is a pretty good deal compared to the time you spend on it. Welding get them all out. Besides heating the part, the welded metal shrinks as it cools making it easier to turn out.

Its Mill and Mine supply in Little Rock, Arkansas. 501-999 0224. MIke

McMaster-Carr has two grades of carbide drill bits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom