Strong intermittent exhaust smell in cabin when heater on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This has only happened 3 times over the winter. I've noticed a strong exhaust fume smell when the heater has been on. At first I thought it was the truck or car in front of me. The recirculating button is set at fresh outside air.

It could have been a coincidence and maybe it was the other cars in front of me. Would an exhaust manifold leak cause this and if so I must have some kind of leak in the air unit that is allowing outside air into the cabin.

Any ideas?

Car or truck In front of you. If you have a exhaust leak large enough to get In the cabin you would here It when you lifted the hood. Windy days can do strange things to exhaust streams. If you don't have a leak Its someone else.

Last edited:
Fresh air supply is from cowl vents below wipers. Must be coming from external source

It doesn't have anything to do with your heater, but have you checked the gasket for the steering shaft on the firewall? Mine is gone and I definitely get fumes through it off and on. It could be variable with wind and vehicle speed. Sometimes it's pretty bad and other times I barely notice it.

Hot drivers feet? This may be your fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom