Strawberry Canyon 9/15! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That was a TOTALLY un expected run!
I was figuring we'd be off that trail by 1 or 2 in the afternoon!
It was kinda funny that after the "pinch rock" (Which DID have a by pass last year) and the lil boulder garden that I stated, "this is the last of the hard stuff...it gets easier from here".... just before we got to the "carnage" trail section I said to Dan..."Oh, there is ONE MORE SPOT that was a bit nasty last year..."
Sean is my new HERO!
Amazing recovery efforts, great ingenuity!
All I could do was stand there and say..."Oh, easy...careful...watch out for the lift...ITS MOVING!!!!!" and stack the occasional rock or two here and there!

That was truly one of the most educational runs I had been on to date!
I learned more valueable off roading information, FIRST HAND, than I ever imagined I would on that "MELLOW TRAIL"!

All in all, it was a beautiful trail, great day and great company!

thanks you all for coming, and Dan (Rusty) thanks for rollin with me. It was a pleasure having you along!
Sean...YOU DA MAN!:beer:

K

BTW...
Does anyone have any NEW mods or purchases they wanna do/ make in review of this trip!

The term of the day, that I feel sums up the WHOLE RUN is COUNTER INTUITIVE!

Wouldnt you agree?

K

Who was holding Shawns roll cage?
He had miles on both sides. :grinpimp:

WE STACKED IT FOR HIM!!!
Its was like a freeway by the time he got there!!!:D:flipoff2:

K

I have used the recovery gear before...but not to the extent that we did today. GodSamit anyway (Jack...you can only imagine why "Sam" is now my new swear word...has something to do with a totally effed MT/R, another on it's way and Sam's lower shock mount job that I told him I was so worried about and having to use a whole bunch of recovery gear and thank God Shawn was on this run for his INVALUABLE experience...just in case you needed a hint or two :rolleyes:). He gets a visit on Monday :eek:.

Well, I can take a hint. Inner sidewall? How did the shock mounts hold up other than destroying a tire?

Jack

Well, I can take a hint. Inner sidewall? How did the shock mounts hold up other than destroying a tire?

Jack

Yup...you guessed it: Inner sidewall...ruined a perfectly good tire...and the other rear has a sidewall cut that looks like it might have come from the shock mount too...so that's $500 worth of tires I need to replace...or maybe Sam needs to replace! The shock mounts are holding up fine. But he already knows he needs to redo the rears due to the tire clearance issue(I still can't believe he did the rears this way!)...I'm just waiting for my BL bolts and spacers to come in so I can do the lift then take it back to him to have him do it right. The heim joints apparently are clicking...kinda strange because because Ali stated he thought it took quite alot of time/wear to get them loosened up. I only notice it when pulling in/out of our garage...I don't notice at all on the road/trail.

But...the Fox shocks are incredible. They provide SO much more control and comfort on and off the trail. Yesterday's run was the most challenging test of the shocks.

Who was holding Shawns roll cage?
He had miles on both sides. :grinpimp:

Man it was a good thing I had a hold of that cage, he would have never made it.

It was my little joke. ;)

SAHWEET!
Man, the 450 pics were awesome through the pinch rock!
That was such a great run in so many ways!

I did end up getting my VERY FIRST SCRATCH on my DS slider on that section too!
I guess I have to get some new ones now...DAMN!;p

One of these days Im gonna have to figure out how to post pics like that!
Ive got a couple that Ill post up later tomorrow! It seemed more prudent to be stacking rocks than taking pics!

K

Last batch

The last few pictures show how we used the High Lift to jack Kens rig using nylon straps on the wheel. This method reduces the amount of lift required to get a tire in the air so you can get rocks under it .

To bad I didn't get any picture of the snatch strap set-up we used with Dylans winch to pull the rock sidways out from under the rig.

Last edited:
Great pics Dan! Thanks for posting up.

Realy the last batch this time
I need to go back and caption the last series, I'll get to it later.

This series shows how Shawn belayed Dans rig to keep it stable while the slashed tire was changed.

This is a great illastration of a valuable safety method we should all know. Dans 100 was in an off camber situation with a flat on the downhill side. We got it up on the high lift and it was very unstable. The belay Shawn rigged made it safe to change the tire. I've seen this technique used on the Rubicon while a guy changed out a broken axel on a the Rubicon at the Can Opener.

Last edited:
WOW looks like you guys had a blast really wanted to be there but just couldnt this time but you can be sure ill be on the next one to Strawberry Glad to see everything went ok and noone got hurt and great pics Gang cant wait to do that trail with you guys

Dan :cheers::beer::bounce::bounce2:

Keith (Sparky): Thanks for getting this run together. I really appreciate you setting the date and getting us organized to do this trail: I surely wouldn't have done it otherwise.

And thanks to ALL for pulling together to get me out of, what could have been, a tougher situation!

Realy the last batch this time
I need to go back and caption the last series, I'll get to it later.

This series shows how Shawn belayed Dans rig to keep it stable while the slashed tire was changed.

This is a great illastration of a valuable safety method we should all know. Dans 100 was in an off camber situation with a flat on the downhill side. We got it up on the high lift and it was very unstable. The belay Shawn rigged made it safe to change the tire. I've seen this technique used on the Rubicon while a guy changed out a broken axel on a the Rubicon at the Can Opener.

X2 on this statement!
It was awesome to see the great regard to safety from all who were involved!
The rig was a lil squirrely in the position it was in, and my "mother hen" side was shining through GOD SAMMIT!
Thanks for posting pic Dan...GREAT JOB!

BTW, didnt Dylan get hung up right BEFORE this extravaganza occurred?
That section was just bad news for everyone!
AAAAAND it wasnt even the "hard part" of the trail!
Just weird!
I hope its not foretelling of the trip next weekend!:eek:

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom