Strawberry Canyon 9/15! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keith (Sparky): Thanks for getting this run together. I really appreciate you setting the date and getting us organized to do this trail: I surely wouldn't have done it otherwise.

And thanks to ALL for pulling together to get me out of, what could have been, a tougher situation!

Thanks, but I didnt do much...I blurted it out at the meeting last month!
I was happy that we were able to do it! Its really is a nice trail IMO!
I was a little less stressed than I was last year, being SOA and all, and I was able to appreciate it more this time around!
It would be awesome to do a 2 day trip hitting Deer Valley first camp in there, then heading into Strawberry, camping at the lookout camp that everyone was drooling over!

Maybe next year!?

K

Ouch...

Hopefully it will work out.

Really sorry I missed this run.:cool:

Jack

Yup...you guessed it: Inner sidewall...ruined a perfectly good tire...and the other rear has a sidewall cut that looks like it might have come from the shock mount too...so that's $500 worth of tires I need to replace...or maybe Sam needs to replace! The shock mounts are holding up fine. But he already knows he needs to redo the rears due to the tire clearance issue(I still can't believe he did the rears this way!)...I'm just waiting for my BL bolts and spacers to come in so I can do the lift then take it back to him to have him do it right. The heim joints apparently are clicking...kinda strange because because Ali stated he thought it took quite alot of time/wear to get them loosened up. I only notice it when pulling in/out of our garage...I don't notice at all on the road/trail.

But...the Fox shocks are incredible. They provide SO much more control and comfort on and off the trail. Yesterday's run was the most challenging test of the shocks.

SpressoDan,
How'd it go down at Sam;s today?

K

SpressoDan,
How'd it go down at Sam;s today?

K

Well...he said he isn't responsible for consequential trail damage resulting from, essentially, prototype work he has done...gotta love it! He won't pay for the rubber but he will redo the upper and lower rear mounts to suit at no cost to me (which I fully expected him to do anyway). I went round and round with him but that's his stance.

The day I picked the rig up after he installed the Foxes is when I should have just left it there and made him redo the rear mounts...but since it's my DD now I got impatient. Live and learn I guess.

Where you running wheel spacers?

ken

Well...he said he isn't responsible for consequential trail damage resulting from, essentially, prototype work he has done...gotta love it! He won't pay for the rubber but he will redo the upper and lower rear mounts to suit at no cost to me (which I fully expected him to do anyway). I went round and round with him but that's his stance.

The day I picked the rig up after he installed the Foxes is when I should have just left it there and made him redo the rear mounts...but since it's my DD now I got impatient. Live and learn I guess.

I have a feeling Sam's endorsements from this group just went into decline.

I just, for all I have heard from various 4x4'rs, expected more. But although I could do the work myself on the rear mounts since its my DD I just need to get past it and move on. These types of situations is exactly why I got back to working on my own vehicles....not because I enjoy wrenching so much (which would be a little better if I was retired and had more time to wrench ;))...it gives me peace of mind/consolation knowing that either I did it right or screwed it up!!!

Last edited:
Where you running wheel spacers?

ken

No...never have run wheel spacers in the rear: Sam did the Fox mount fab work sans spacers. Rear spacers would solve the issue of ripping tires however that still leaves the lower shock mount too exposed IMO. So the real fix is to move the upper shock mounts to the top of the perch and following suit with the lowers mounts.

I wish there was a relatively easy way to increase the rear track width by 1/2" per side...but there isn't as far as I am aware.

No...never have run wheel spacers in the rear: Sam did the Fox mount fab work sans spacers. Rear spacers would solve the issue of ripping tires however that still leaves the lower shock mount too exposed IMO. So the real fix is to move the upper shock mounts to the top of the perch and following suit with the lowers mounts.

I wish there was a relatively easy way to increase the rear track width by 1/2" per side...but there isn't as far as I am aware.

Custom backspaced rims?

It'd be kind of a drag if you ever bent one.

Custom backspaced rims?

It'd be kind of a drag if you ever bent one.

No...just use wheel spacers as I do now in front. You're right: Custom wheels with custom backspacing/offset is a TPITA and not something I want to get involved with. However if I could get 1/2" wheel spacers that would be the ticket for me for the rear (although this would not change my mind on having Sam redo the rear shock mounts)...but 7/8" is the thinnest you can use on these. Generally they don't recommend running longer wheel studs with even a 1/2" spacer...otherwise I would do it!

Dan, I'm tempted to order 3/4" wheel adapters and I think they might work without interference from the wheels--though nobody has done them yet. Worse comes to worst, I'd need to grind the stud down just a little (less than a 1/4"). Heating the studs could be of issue.

Dan, I'm tempted to order 3/4" wheel adapters and I think they might work without interference from the wheels--though nobody has done them yet. Worse comes to worst, I'd need to grind the stud down just a little (less than a 1/4"). Heating the studs could be of issue.

Ooo...please let me know how this turns out! This would, along with my 10mm body lift, allow the fronts to be a little more 'fender friendly' ;).

Well my opinion since I met/talked with him, is that he is a desert racer, not a rock crawler. Big difference in mindset. Still sucks about the tires.

Jack

Im VERY surprised that he wouldnt even buy ONE of the meats for you, or at least SPLIT the cost!

K

Well my opinion since I met/talked with him, is that he is a desert racer, not a rock crawler. Big difference in mindset. Still sucks about the tires.

Jack
I don't think those shock mounts would have done any better desert racing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom