Straight axle for FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

its not gonna be hard, if done right, with good stuff i imagen a swap willcost about 3000, does any one know how much wider the rear axle on a 05 taco/runner is compared to a 85 mini truck front axle?

Any more info on the proposed "Moab" edition toyota is supposed to come out with?
I havent heard a definate YES or NO as to whether it will have a SFA option....

Toyota should offer it in IFS or Solid axles :D that would be sooooo sweet but probally not ever gonna happen:frown: . It could be like hummers adventure packages or luxary or winter or you guys know maybe what im talking about or trying to say.

vorteced62 said:
its not gonna be hard, if done right, with good stuff i imagen a swap willcost about 3000, does any one know how much wider the rear axle on a 05 taco/runner is compared to a 85 mini truck front axle?

It would be cool if a 70 series front axle could be transplanted, I'm sure it can be done, plus a nice e-locker to go with it.

vorteced62 said:

Might want to rethink that number just a weeeee bit. It's about $2200 to do an SAS/rear lift on a mini truck right now... Add to that an axle (Dana44), locker, steering box on custom mounts, etc. Add another $1500 in tires/wheels and $200 to regear the rear and you should be all set. And all of that is assuming you can actually go leafs.

Figure $5000K :D :D

Yeah i have been looking at this heavily, it can be done though in no way is it a mini SAS. This swap has been done on one truck i know of in AUS. This is no tacoma platform its a prado (sp.) Anyways i figured 5k for a SAS and a nice rear lift but my local toyota dealer 7k over msrp right now made me and the misses want to just stay with the FJ

You realize also that you would be loosing ATRAC and VCS in the process right? Not saying you couldn't live without them, but they really are both pretty nice systems for every day driving; and if you ask the FJZ100 guys they will tell you the ATRAC is quite nice off road as well.

I wonder, does anybody know if the FJZ80 came with 4 channel ABS brakes? If so you "might" be able to swap in a front axle out of one of those... That is if the abs sensor is what is used for the ATRAC system and there were the right compatibilities of the sensors (or at least the hole that the sensors go in).

The axle width would be more appropriate, and with Bobby's longs you should be able to go with at least 38's...

Tell you the truth, I would rather follow in the footsteps of guy over at Yotatech with the 4th gen runner that has long travel IFS and 35's. Here: http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=69073

chwtoy, thanks for the props :)

Really don't want to hijack the thread but it might be some good info regarding a SAC if anyone is planning on the FJ/4runner/Taco.

Before going face first into the mods that I did, I took a hard look at what I had and what I've done on the trails and what a solid axle conversion would give me the ability to do. I've done many of the difficult trails in Moab, Big Bear, San Diego and some smaller places and the setup that I had proved to be very successful (regular lift and tires and the good stuff nothing special). The ATRAC v2.0 system that was first introduced in the 4runner in 2003 was a significant improvement over the previous 00?/01/02 4runner along w/ the 100 series LC. I must say that I was pretty impressed that I was able to conquer much of the trails that a rear locker rig would need. Apparently Toyota's engineers worked very hard on developing a system that'll actually work rather than hinder the driver thru obstacles.

With this in mind I thought thru how a SAC would provide. Since I've yet to break axles (knock on wood) it really didn't make sense. The SAC would mean having a pumpkin up front killing the clearance completley unless I go bling w/ 38"+ tires (but that's insane!). Steering has been moved to the front like the older yota's so it doesn't get caught up in the back (yay) and the front diff/axles were beefed up. I remember someone did some initial calculations and claimed that they were as strong as a d44. I'd say that's pretty impressive by my standards. My plans were only to go 35's so I knew that a SAC w/ 35's would look ungodly ugly ;)

Ultimately the way I looked at it, a sac is good if you start breaking the ifs stuff and the ifs stuff becomes inferior to the trails you pursue. Right now, I'm having a blast with the setup I have and it works well. I don't have any plans to hit up johnson valley so it's not like I need to worry about the crazy crazy rock crawling stuff. Yes I do rock crawling and it's holding up nicely so far. No front locker yet though but I'm sure once I get one in there, my views may change (who knows). Until then, I'm stayin w/ IFS :)

o yeah, the ride is sooo plush! hehe... can't complain and you can definitely speed on the dunes like no tomorrow :) best of both worlds if you ask me considering I retain all of the toy safety features.

bkg said:
Might want to rethink that number just a weeeee bit. It's about $2200 to do an SAS/rear lift on a mini truck right now... Add to that an axle (Dana44), locker, steering box on custom mounts, etc. Add another $1500 in tires/wheels and $200 to regear the rear and you should be all set. And all of that is assuming you can actually go leafs.

Figure $5000K :D :D

i was talking about the axles swap alone, not tires and rear suspension.

a mini truck front is 250 bucks for a nice one, marlins sas kit is somewhere around 1449(comes with front spring hanger, brakelines, shackles, perches, steering, springs, u-bolts, all the hardware and it even comes with spacers to compensate for the wider rear axle), detriot is $495, drive line about 250 and bobby longs 30 spline kit is $635

thats about 3200 dollars for the axle swap alone. this doesnt include tires, and rear suspension(id personally convert to leafs,im big fan of marlin)

Don't get me wrong . . . . I won't argue the benefits of a live front axle.

But, another $3k-$5k just to void most of the warranty on a brand new $30k truck that you weren't completely satisfied with from the start?? :confused:

No I think he has the cost of the axle in there (of course $250 seams a little light, but I’m in sort of a “special” market).

What I don’t get is why drop $25k on a brand new rig then completely remove the entire suspension system? If you really want solid front and rear leaf sprung axles without ABS or traction control, why not just build a real FJ-40?

Hey it’s your money but I would bet in the end it would only be marginally better in some very specific instances off road than a basic 3”suspension lift, a 1.5” Body lift, and an ARB front locker. Besides for the difference in costs a person could get good quality front and rear bumpers, which would be vastly more important in real world off-road driving conditions. Oh yeah and all of the above could be done in a 3-day weekend, good luck with doing a SAS that quick…

CHWTOY said:
What I don’t get is why drop $25k on a brand new rig then completely remove the entire suspension system?
That was my previous point. If the FJ Cruiser doesn't suit your needs from the git-go, then why buy one? :confused: ($3k-$5k would go a long way towards a pretty nice trail-ready FJ40/55/60.)

Toyota should offer SFA only on 50th anniversary editions. They're going to have to make this edition because the Landcruiser is half a century old already.

I just hope.

DigitalKnight86 said:
Toyota should offer SFA only on 50th anniversary editions. They're going to have to make this edition because the Landcruiser is half a century old already.
If anything, they might throw a couple of blings on the actual Land Cruiser (100 series), jack up the price and call it a Special Anniversry Edition. :rolleyes: But, they really don't have any reason/incentive to put a SFA on a FJ Cruiser.

I was talking to the fellow from TLC4x4 the other day, and he said that he is going to do a solid axle swap for SEMA.

Andrew

Terrax said:
Any business/company out there working on this mod already or have plans to so? I'm sure somebody is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom