Straight axle for FJ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bobby long needs to come up with a creative improvement on the ifs axles. Maybe he has and I havent seen them? anyway something like a gm 1ton fronts (I have broken one, but it was under a LOT of torque) milled and resplined and cryod or something else like a larger bell and 4340 cryo'd just like his other axles. Seems like a lot of us who want 35s or 37's could get by nicely with ifs and some upgraded axles. And maybe a suspension kit to go with to fit a larger hub set up with larger wheel bearings and bigger dia. axle shafts?
just some thoughts, even if the $ was close to a sas I think a lot of the multiple use people who daily drive their rigs would be interested.

i dont think bobbylong has any intrest in IFS at all.. go to his site, under lift kits the only thing listed is SAS, its the only way to go for Serious use.. I bet the FJC wheels just great with some 33's and a mild lift..

isotel said:
i dont think bobbylong has any intrest in IFS at all.. go to his site, under lift kits the only thing listed is SAS, its the only way to go for Serious use.. I bet the FJC wheels just great with some 33's and a mild lift..

that's true. I agree that for any type of serious wheeling a solid axle is a must,

but i guess if I was him as long as the ifs drivers money was still green I'd figure out a way to get it. I think someone will, just a question of who and I like the way Long's products are the best on the market, and he continues to improve them and keep the prices reasonable.

It also seems like it could be possible to build ifs axles using his existing birfs design at both ends with some type of boot, a slip joint? and beefy clips to keep the axle from slipping out, although that may not be a problem with the normal clips. Then put a set of lockouts on so you dont have to wear them out on the road and it might be a winner.

cvunlimited has had stronger heat treated axles for IFS for years now. Haven't heard much about them huh. That's because nobody wants to shell out the $$$ for them when they can just put in a solid axle.

The drivetrain for the FJ was designed for a V8 so if you're breaking CVs your having a lot of fun.

robinhood4x4 said:
cvunlimited has had stronger heat treated axles for IFS for years now. Haven't heard much about them huh. That's because nobody wants to shell out the $$$ for them when they can just put in a solid axle.

The drivetrain for the FJ was designed for a V8 so if you're breaking CVs your having a lot of fun.

I think one major problem here is the centered front, so It will need to be a custom axle. Once we go down that road it's $$$, not a mini SAS. If there was a set for like $1000, that were as strong as a long 30 spline I think they would ge a hot seller. I was more thinking easy and less modification for a DD/ weekend wheeler.

I havent seen one yet so I don't know, but I'm guessing a locker up front and lower gears and bigger more aggresive tires will make quick work of these axle shafts once the torque is doubled.

Last edited:
I think the FJ will have a driver side t-case output, so you can forget the minitruck swap. Have to go with a driver side diff.

Jetboy said:
I havent seen one yet so I don't know, but I'm guessing a locker up front and lower gears and bigger more aggresive tires will make quick work of these axle shafts once the torque is doubled.
I don't think so. People run dual t-cases with ifs and 35s. Yeah, people break CVs but as long as you're not pounding on things it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

IFS is a lot stronger than people think.

robinhood4x4 said:
I don't think so. People run dual t-cases with ifs and 35s. Yeah, people break CVs but as long as you're not pounding on things it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

IFS is a lot stronger than people think.

That's true. Until about 2 weeks ago I was running 35's on my 4Runner w/ IFS. It held up well with considerable wheeling, but eventually it will fail (especially w/liberal use of the front ARB). I have since put a dana 44 under my 4Runner.:cool:

Now back to plans to retrofit my 40....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom