Storage options.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've decided recently that I am not going to pull the hardtop off next summer. I like having the security of it, and I have WAY more room for stuff when I can pile up it up to the roof. There is actually a lot of space for all our crap.. it's just awkward to use space.

It's not a matter of stuffing stuff in the cruiser, so much as being able to get to stuff you need. What kind of organizational stuff have people come up with? I've got a small rack across the roll bar. It keeps the camera, snacks, water bottles, ect on it. I am going to mount a panel on the side of it's leg that can hold pouches and stuff for stuff like first aid kit, maps, recovery gear maybe.. stuff like that.

I also have a sheet of plywood across the wheel wells. The tools, parts, straps, chains, ect goes under it, so I don't have to unpack camping gear and ice chests when we need a screw driver.

Anyway, just looking for some ideas that can help maximize the limited space in the back of an FJ40.

A big thing I need to do, is to go through our camping stuff and weed out the unneeded or redundant things. I feel like we bring a ton of stuff we never touch, and if we went through and figured out what we actually needed and got rid of all the extras we could half the stuff we bring... which would help a lot.

carrying way too much stuff is called "expeditioning"

What is a "Map"? Getting rid of those might be a good place to start.

x2 on Keeping a paper map which is up to date. I always carry paper charts in my boat just in case of electronic failure.

This was a hi-jack, but, whether driving or hiking, I carry a GPS, a compass, a SPOT GPS Messenger, paper maps and a good magnifying glass, so I can actually read the maps.

This allows me to take whatever road-less-traveled I choose and know that I can find my way out, without always retracing my "steps", or that I can be retrieved, in the event I "go too far" (e.g. break down or get hurt).

end-hi-jack.........

Back to harry_apple's question...

I have the same sort of setup you described:
  • I have plywood across the wheel wells and two plastic totes that will slide under the plywood -
    • one contains small 'spares' (plugs, wires, grease gun and grease, belts, radiator hoses, wiper blades, nuts, bolts, washers, electrical connections, a few kinds of tape, a few different tubes of gasket sealants, silicone, super glue, string, twine, 14 and 16ga wire, gasket material, screw clamps, vacuum hose, fuel hose, etc.
    • the other contains various small tools (metric wrench sets, metric socket sets (1/2" and 3/8" drive), screwdrivers, wire tools, pliars, crescent wrenches, wire brush, ballpean hammer, cold chisels, putty knives, vice grips, channel locks (large and small), small plastic storage boxes, with various uses (1 is soldering iron and solder; 1 is exacto-knives and blades; 1 is various sizes of batteries; 1 is various grommets and various vacuum caps; and 1 is various vacuum connections), etc.
  • A roof rack that I carry various 'stuff' in Rollo Bags and Action Packers inside the Rollo Bags (as needed).
For camping and 'soft stuff', I had 2" cargo netting made to fit across the jump seat roll bars and up to the top roll bar. This gives me a place that I can stow things that I always take along: tent, sleeping bag, backpack with clothes, meds, first aide, toiletries, compass, matches and fire starter stuff, LifeStraw, head lamp, etc.), 2nd backpack with my tiny stove, stove fuel, frying pan, sauce pan, food staples, etc., paper towels, trekking sticks, hiking boots, hats, caps, warm sleep clothes, jackets, etc., cot and sleeping mattress (bad spine/hip), folding camp chair, dog food, dog boots, shovel, etc.

I hang water bottles, plastic lantern from the front of the cargo netting, under the roll bar.

For map, atlas, etc. storage, I had 2" cargo netting made to fit across the roof, above the seats, from windshield back, about 20". I hang SPOT, GPS, etc. from the cargo netting, overhead.

For larger 'spares', I added a lockable 45MM ammo can to the front bumper - carry alternator, fuel pump, etc. as well as 7-pin to 4-pin connector and the mounting hardware for my tow bar (in case my Wife has to 'rescue' me in the Tundra (tow bar in back) - I can hook 44 up to the Tundra and tow it home).

For center console storage, I added a lockable 45MM ammo can.

For fairly light stuff, I carry a Trasheroo on my spare tire and carry trash back in it.

hth

Sounds like a complete bug out kit.................ha, seriously I need to get my hands on some good recovery gear-what tow straps do people like?

Sounds like a good bug out kit................seriously I need o get some recovery gear....what do people like for tow straps???

Just had a nasty ingrown toenail chopped out today... hoping I'm up to it tomorrow, but I'm going to spend the day tomorrow doing some storage upgrades to my cruiser. Adding some panels I cut to hold some MOLLE bags to the roll cage sides, and my rear hatch.

I think I'm going to drag all my camping gear out, and start going through it too. Going to do stuff like take my kitchen Rubbermaid, and break it down and take 2 plates, 2 bowls, 2 forks, 2 spoons, ect and put them inside my camping stove. I think I can gain a lot of space with some repacking of how I have things now. I guess I really need to get everything I want to bring.. and start packing and see how it all fits.

I'd really like some kind of a drawer system.. might have to think about building something after Christmas.

I have no idea where my main strap came from, but it's sweet. Clothe, 30 feet long. Super tough. I haven't seen another one quite like it, and I'm going to be bummed when it breaks.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Drawers seem pretty popular- but I think I prefer stackable plastic boxes combined with bags. I like to be able to empty the whole thing out and I also prefer the flexibility of not having anything permanently built in. But this is because my truck is a jack of all trades.

I ran airline track along the top corners of the fenders. With this I could bolt in any type of shelf or drawer system as well as in my case the rear seats or use them to strap down cargo. Again to me flexibility is the key. I could also use it (and am planning to ) to secure a sleeping platform for some trips. And also to bolt in shelves and a cargo barrier befhind the front seats.

I also am actively looking for use messenger bags as they are cheap used, easy to carry, keep stuff dry in the rain but very easy to access and easily identifiable. I can keep them set up as various kits. One with spares for longer trips, ones that will be in the truck all the time etc. In my mind (like most other things inmy mind yet far from reality mind you) I will look at my shelf of bags and say- this one, that one, stuff some clothes in this one, throw in camp kitchen ver.2, strap them down and be off. They are great too because they keep stuff from rattling around unlike having it sitting a box or drawer. Also as I often have passengers in the rear the messenger bags can easily be secured in a row on each fender.

I also use the wood across the rear fenders with 2 plastic boxes for tools and recovery stuff. Its simple and works great- easy to take out when not needed. WHile not drawers I don't find itoo much of a bother to take out one bin to get to the one behind it. Especially since the one behind it has the least used stuff in it and I rarely need it. In my case I will bolt down the wood panel to the airline rails to keep the heavy stuff from flying around in the case of a roll or accident.

With the hard top on- or a soft top for that matter- it seems like there could be a good system for tying or shelving soft items up there- sleeping bags, clothes, megamat etc- stuff that you want to keep dry and out of the way when mucking about.

I have a camp kitchen- Ver1. Its bigger than necessary. I think your spot on about really digging through stuff and getting rid of the stuff that just never gets used or at least separating it out for most trips. And you spot on about getting all the stuff out and taking stock of the total travel "kit." I feel that is exactly what I need to do as well.

The trasharoo is a useful bit of kit as well. Again- easy on easy off.

Anyway- plans will change. Some trips are solo and some with friends and family. What is needed for one trip is not for another. But no matter what it needs to be organized and get tied down. A simple way to secure things is my approach.

More info on installing the airline track in my thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/84...nce-repair-and-upgrade-making-it-mine.807688/

Pete

That is great. I was going to put those on a trailer I'm building, but never thought about the cruiser it's self.

I've decided recently that I am not going to pull the hardtop off next summer. I like having the security of it, and I have WAY more room for stuff when I can pile up it up to the roof.

I agree, and this is what I do If I'm going for a week in the back country with a passenger.

I took out the rear jump seats because I rarely ever used them, and that gave me more space between the roll cage B and C pillars to fit stuff over the wheel wells.

My Cruiser came with a nice Con-Ferr locking tool box that fits between the wheel wells and right behind the seats (no rear heater). Perfect for tools and spares; it locks, and heavy stuff is low and in front of the rear axle:

Then I have a couple of flat-ish plactic tubs with lids that I bought at Wally World that fit between the wheel wells and are just lower than the tops of the wheel wells. One has most of my recovery gear, the other is flexible for whatever is needed.

All together, these leave me with a relatively flat platform to stack other stuff on; a Rubbermaid Action Packer for my stove, kitchen, and dry food, my Warn winch bag, a first aid kit, trenching tool, tent, ice chest, camp chairs and etc. Clothing duffels, sleeping bags, mattress pads and soft/light things like that go on top or between/behind the roll cage B and C pillars.

My 4+ rear bumper holds gas and water in jerry cans.

Here is a photo of it all packed up for a week in the Abajo Mountains, Dark Canyon Wilderness, Beef Basin and Needles District of Canyonlands (sorry, no photo of it inside) for two people:

Future plans include making a plywood platform to replace the passenger seat and mount my ARB fridge, when going solo.

Hi all,

Hijack on:

peteinjp cool rig! Is it a BJ44?

Hijack off: ;)

Regards,

Alan

View attachment 1008869 View attachment 1008871 View attachment 1008872 View attachment 1008873 Drawers seem pretty popular- but I think I prefer stackable plastic boxes combined with bags. I like to be able to empty the whole thing out and I also prefer the flexibility of not having anything permanently built in. But this is because my truck is a jack of all trades.

I ran airline track along the top corners of the fenders. With this I could bolt in any type of shelf or drawer system as well as in my case the rear seats or use them to strap down cargo. Again to me flexibility is the key. I could also use it (and am planning to ) to secure a sleeping platform for some trips. And also to bolt in shelves and a cargo barrier befhind the front seats.

I also am actively looking for use messenger bags as they are cheap used, easy to carry, keep stuff dry in the rain but very easy to access and easily identifiable. I can keep them set up as various kits. One with spares for longer trips, ones that will be in the truck all the time etc. In my mind (like most other things inmy mind yet far from reality mind you) I will look at my shelf of bags and say- this one, that one, stuff some clothes in this one, throw in camp kitchen ver.2, strap them down and be off. They are great too because they keep stuff from rattling around unlike having it sitting a box or drawer. Also as I often have passengers in the rear the messenger bags can easily be secured in a row on each fender.

I also use the wood across the rear fenders with 2 plastic boxes for tools and recovery stuff. Its simple and works great- easy to take out when not needed. WHile not drawers I don't find itoo much of a bother to take out one bin to get to the one behind it. Especially since the one behind it has the least used stuff in it and I rarely need it. In my case I will bolt down the wood panel to the airline rails to keep the heavy stuff from flying around in the case of a roll or accident.

With the hard top on- or a soft top for that matter- it seems like there could be a good system for tying or shelving soft items up there- sleeping bags, clothes, megamat etc- stuff that you want to keep dry and out of the way when mucking about.

I have a camp kitchen- Ver1. Its bigger than necessary. I think your spot on about really digging through stuff and getting rid of the stuff that just never gets used or at least separating it out for most trips. And you spot on about getting all the stuff out and taking stock of the total travel "kit." I feel that is exactly what I need to do as well.

The trasharoo is a useful bit of kit as well. Again- easy on easy off.

Anyway- plans will change. Some trips are solo and some with friends and family. What is needed for one trip is not for another. But no matter what it needs to be organized and get tied down. A simple way to secure things is my approach.

More info on installing the airline track in my thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/84...nce-repair-and-upgrade-making-it-mine.807688/

Pete

haha. Who even has paper maps anymore? haha. Actually.. I do because I'm paranoid about technology failing me when I need it most.

I carry paper maps - because the guys with the tablets always take way too long to figure anything out :rolleyes: - and by the time they do, I have the visual survey of the land "programmed" into my memory already - let's go :steer:

actually, as far as storage options, I went with several Rubbermaid boxes that fit perfectly behind and under my rear bench (when I still had one) - I haven't figured out yet what I will do now that the bench is gone . . .

I wrap the spare front axle assemblies (pre-packed birf-inners together) into black trash bags and stuffed them behind the rear bench, too - actually, axle assemblies also fit well into white plastic water pipes (husband runs those for axle shaft storage in his Blazer)

Great recommendations. I pulled the left hand jump seat and I have built an insert that slides in the back with two full length draws for my shotguns, bird hunting gear, tools, jack and miscellaneous. The top of the insert fits over the wheels well so I have a flat surface for the dog box, ice chest and whatever else I my need for a few days. Cover King makes a corduray seat cover that uses the Military MOLE system on the back of the seat cover and it comes with four or five different detachable pouches for all the miscellaneous that you like to have handy. The seat covers are tough as nails and come in your choice of colors as long as it is black.

It's a 1984 BJ46. Right at the end of the run.

Pete

This was a hi-jack, but, whether driving or hiking, I carry a GPS, a compass, a SPOT GPS Messenger, paper maps and a good magnifying glass, so I can actually read the maps.

This allows me to take whatever road-less-traveled I choose and know that I can find my way out, without always retracing my "steps", or that I can be retrieved, in the event I "go too far" (e.g. break down or get hurt).

end-hi-jack.........

Back to harry_apple's question...

I have the same sort of setup you described:
  • I have plywood across the wheel wells and two plastic totes that will slide under the plywood -
    • one contains small 'spares' (plugs, wires, grease gun and grease, belts, radiator hoses, wiper blades, nuts, bolts, washers, electrical connections, a few kinds of tape, a few different tubes of gasket sealants, silicone, super glue, string, twine, 14 and 16ga wire, gasket material, screw clamps, vacuum hose, fuel hose, etc.
    • the other contains various small tools (metric wrench sets, metric socket sets (1/2" and 3/8" drive), screwdrivers, wire tools, pliars, crescent wrenches, wire brush, ballpean hammer, cold chisels, putty knives, vice grips, channel locks (large and small), small plastic storage boxes, with various uses (1 is soldering iron and solder; 1 is exacto-knives and blades; 1 is various sizes of batteries; 1 is various grommets and various vacuum caps; and 1 is various vacuum connections), etc.
  • A roof rack that I carry various 'stuff' in Rollo Bags and Action Packers inside the Rollo Bags (as needed).
For camping and 'soft stuff', I had 2" cargo netting made to fit across the jump seat roll bars and up to the top roll bar. This gives me a place that I can stow things that I always take along: tent, sleeping bag, backpack with clothes, meds, first aide, toiletries, compass, matches and fire starter stuff, LifeStraw, head lamp, etc.), 2nd backpack with my tiny stove, stove fuel, frying pan, sauce pan, food staples, etc., paper towels, trekking sticks, hiking boots, hats, caps, warm sleep clothes, jackets, etc., cot and sleeping mattress (bad spine/hip), folding camp chair, dog food, dog boots, shovel, etc.

I hang water bottles, plastic lantern from the front of the cargo netting, under the roll bar.

For map, atlas, etc. storage, I had 2" cargo netting made to fit across the roof, above the seats, from windshield back, about 20". I hang SPOT, GPS, etc. from the cargo netting, overhead.

For larger 'spares', I added a lockable 45MM ammo can to the front bumper - carry alternator, fuel pump, etc. as well as 7-pin to 4-pin connector and the mounting hardware for my tow bar (in case my Wife has to 'rescue' me in the Tundra (tow bar in back) - I can hook 44 up to the Tundra and tow it home).

For center console storage, I added a lockable 45MM ammo can.

For fairly light stuff, I carry a Trasheroo on my spare tire and carry trash back in it.

hth
I know this was a while ago, but do you have any pics of this setup inside? Cargo nets etc… I cant find any suitable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom