Stolen tan 1989 FJ62 SEATTLE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any luck yet, Danno?

Ouch, that's what I fear every night I park out in the rough streets of Brooklyn. Hope you get your rig back in one piece, odds are the thieves won't know what to do with it.

Dude, Im sorry to hear that. hope it comes back in one piece. I will keep my eye out in Lincoln, CA, if they get that far lol

Best of luck on recovering your vehicle. You may want to use this to see if it is being sold: States

HTH

spotcruiser: Still nothing, but I'm not letting that get me down. Most people I've talked to have said it has taken at least a week or two for recovery.

I should also mention that there was no broken glass or any other evidence of the theft. These guys are using bump keys or whatever to get into the truck and away quickly. I know that I'll be installing a kill switch and buying and using a Club as soon as I get the truck back... Considering how worn down the keys and cylinders get after 20+ years, these have got to be some of the easiest rigs to steal.

As I have told all get kill switches, Use a club and have a locksmith re build all the locks to factory new and a new code cut key. The key code is stamped into the pass door lock cyl, not the lock tail piece.

A word of caution. Next time you are around your buddy's 60 try your key in his rig. Chances are the door will open and maybe even start it.

It takes very little to start a 60 without a key, found out when my key assembly failed in the column at the end of a trail run. Install a kill switch....

Hope you get the rig back.

Tony

UPDATE::

The truck was recovered late this afternoon. It appears to be in good shape and I was able to drive it home. I'm too tired to write the full post-mortem so I'll post that tomorrow. A huge thanks to everyone who provided support and a lookout for me. Now I'm going to go have a :beer: or 3 to celebrate.

Good to hear..... I'll have a beer for yah !!!
Put a kill switch.. or two... or three...

damn. i thought there were only a couple people in my area here. theres a ton

Good news, Danno. :beer:

AWESOME!!

OK, now for the full details.

I've stayed close to my phone over the past week waiting for a call from an unknown number with info about the truck. Of course, I was at the climbing gym for two hours and SPD calls then, telling me an officer found the truck (in the 5000 block of 7th Ave NE in Seattle). Because I didn't get the call, it was towed and impounded to the tune of $108.18. Anyhow, I went to the yard and inspected the truck. There were amazingly no (new) dings, dents or broken glass. The drivers door has some greasy residue on the outside but still opens/shuts and locks/unlocks fine.

Upon opening the truck my nose was greeted by possibly the worst smell ever. A combination of stale smoke, booze, BO, and some unknown but foul secret ingredient. The GPS I stupidly left in the arm rest was gone of course, but everything else, down to the firewood and hatchet in the back, was still in the truck. Along with a bunch of stolen stuff: bike wheels, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, clothes, a cordless drill, jumper cables, a gas can, and a trailer hitch and ball. My best guess is that somebody used the truck as a stealing platform/camping spot for a few days before dumping it.

Truck started up without issue aside from a few tries to get the key seated just right in the ignition, but the gas was below empty. I had brought about two spare gallons of gas for just this issue, and that brought it up to the E mark. So it was really running on fumes. The guy had reset the trip odometer and it read 34 miles. A mileage calculating thief!

I drove it home with the windows down, and the gf and I cleaned out all the crap in it. I took out a few crucial engine components to make sure it won't be driven away until I can get some more permanent anti-theft features installed. So for the moment I'm a happy camper.

I'm booked this weekend but next week I'm going to have a little celebration at a local watering hole here in Seattle, to which you all are cordially invited. I'll post more details shortly.

All the best,
Dan

Good to know that ur Rig is back home safe:beer:

Now its time to invest in a kill switch, alarm, pitbull to keep it nice & safe.

x2 on the fabreeze...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom