Stockinteriors.com FJ80 Carpet Set (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone know which color matches the brown/oak interior the best?

Order some samples and match it up to an area on your carpet not exposed to sun. That's what I did. They got me samples fast.

thx, was hoping to just order the carpet since the I've already ripped out the interior.. :-D I just ordered the samples and will report back for anyone else searching with a brown interior.

For anyone searching in the future, color 8655 from stockinteriors.com most closely matches the stock brown color.

Just wondering, what year LC do you have Johnnay? I'm looking into getting new carpet and putting some sound deadening in as well.

Just came across this thread. I'm in the process of installing replacement carpet from stockinteriors.com also. Great write up, and will definitely use the advice with my install. We have most of the cargo area completed, but the weather here in WV is 50s and rain. With the mass backer warm weather is needed to be able to work with the carpet. In this weather it is STIFF.

This is from my order - Toyota Land Cruiser '91-'97 Molded Carpet Complete Kit; Color: 8835-Medium Beige Plush Cut Pile; Backing: MassBack

The Medium Beige goes great with the oak. Now we just need some 70 degrees weather to get this done.

Just wondering, what year LC do you have Johnnay? I'm looking into getting new carpet and putting some sound deadening in as well.

1997, white with the two tone tan/brown interior. the carpet is the darker of the two. It's my first 80, so not sure if my interior is called "oak" or something different.

I've been prepping this project for a while. I have an Oak (brown) interior and burgundy (Medium Red Pearl - 3H4) exterior, with Tan seats. Seat leather will be changed at a later point in time. I'm planning to go with either 830 - brown or 8655 - sandstone with Dynamat below. Personally, the darker 810 brown is really quite nice and looks like it will hide mud / dirt quite well :)

I thought I’d resurrect this thread and add my two cents...

I didn’t get carpet samples ahead of time and I just ordered the medium gray color. I also selected two upgrade options.

1. Ultra Plush Pile
2. Mass Backing

First, the carpet arrived very quickly. About four days for me. Although it is sold by Stockinteriors.com, it arrived in a ACC box, so it appears that they are just a reseller of the already popular carpet supplier, ACC.

F10BAC88-0436-4DAC-92E8-D6C212617AD1.jpeg

The medium gray was much lighter than the original gray in my 97 FZJ80. However, since it is a full kit, any gray will work fine and I think the lighter color looks great.

The “ultra plush pile” option is a definite upgrade in my opinion, especially with the mass backing option. The carpet is much thicker than the OEM and the backing adds quite a bit a durability and weight to the carpet. It is several times heavier than the OEM carpet. I needed help lifting and moving the complete kit. Here is a side by side showing the color difference, thickness comparison, and the mass backing material.

D0618389-8231-4A02-BE55-BBA47EEECBEA.jpeg

The mass backing is a bit ridged with an oily feel on the surface. It does make this carpet more difficult to cut and trim. Even heavy duty scissors struggled with the task. I did not use a hot knife like the OP suggested, but kinda wish I had one on hand. I used a heavy duty exacto knife for the fine trimming.

The kit also came with enough jute insulation to cover the entire floor. This was a surprise bonus to me. I had already laid down A sound and heat barrier, so I decided to go right over the top of it with the jute. Overkill for sure. Once compressed, it probably comes in just under 20mm thick.

72274508-A01B-406C-A9AE-55E3DC3CD772.jpeg

This should quiet the cabin significantly. A bit of warning though, I did trim back the insulating layers enough so that the thickness would not create fitment issues with interior trim pieces. However, there were a few areas that were extremely difficult with the thicker carpet.

First, is the heal rest on the driver’s side. I was able to make it fit, but it took a little bit of brute force. The other pieces that created a problem are the interior passenger assist steps. The carpet is so thick, that the standard cap nuts can’t get enough bite to secure them in place. Wits End makes an extended nut to address this problem and I’ve ordered a set... but 11 dollars per nut!

Finally, the rear cargo carpet plastic trim, I don’t even think it’s possible to secure it to the floor, so I’m not even going to try. The metal trim fits without any problem, you just need to use some longer screws.

All in all, I’m extremely happy with the results. The quality is superb and the fitment is great. The carpet is pre-molded to the floor pan, but you do have to trim and cut. I did make a few mistakes, luckily, none are very noticeable. Also, since I do not use the third row seats, I did not make any cuts on the cargo or wheel well covers. I think that’s one benefit of not having the carpet ore-cut.

Here’s how the “almost” finished installation looks...

66726ECD-E5F6-4500-800A-9118D2BF528B.jpeg

The base kit included the front 2/3 piece, the cargo and tailgate piece, and the wheel well covers. Upgrading to the ultra plush pile and the mass backing, the total came to around $640 shipped to my door.

Last edited:
Looks great @CaptClose! I hope mine turns out that well.

Thank you for the update. Believe it or not I am ordering a carpet kit today and you saved me big $$! I was going to order direct from ACC, but I contacted stockinteriors and they confirmed that I would be receiving an ACC kit.

Thanks Again!!

No they do not have the plastic edges. You will need to repurpose the tracks from your stock carpet.

The tracks I have now are attached to the OEM carpet with staples. How have folks reattached the tracks to the new carpet? What kind of a stapler do you use?

There is no real need to staple the carpet to the tracks. They stay in place fine. The door sill trim provides enough force to pinch the carpet down against the tracks. However, if you wanted to, a regular staple gun would do the trick. Just be careful selecting the staple size, as you wouldn’t want to staple into the wire harness.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom