Stockinteriors.com FJ80 Carpet Set (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm thinking about replacing my carpet after a nasty mud flood this weekend. Hard to stomach $600 when I'll probably do it again....

Great thread with options for new carpet. My question is why you wouldn't just continue to use the OEM carpet that is fortunately still available from what I can tell. I have that added into my costs of baselining a cruiser that fits my needs. Who wants moldy oldy carpet. I want the fresh smell of OEM new whenever my time comes.

About to install my kit this week. How do you cut/attach the pads that go under the carpet? I got three rectangular pieces with my kit. Do these need to be cut to size?

Great thread with options for new carpet. My question is why you wouldn't just continue to use the OEM carpet that is fortunately still available from what I can tell. I have that added into my costs of baselining a cruiser that fits my needs. Who wants moldy oldy carpet. I want the fresh smell of OEM new whenever my time comes.

got a link to where it's available by any chance? as in actually in stock.

I got the Cutpile + Mass Backing from RockAuto for $427 including tax and shipping. Cheapest carpet that I could find, and it's definitely from ACC. I haven't yet installed it, however

I just bought the cutpile + mass backing from RockAuto for $395 shipped using a 5% coupon :)

Curious if anyone on this thread has attempted to color match the plush floor mats sold by Covercraft.com to the carpets sold by StockInteriors.com...

If not, I will be the test subject and do a separate post for whatever I discover.

Here is a swatch of Stock Interiors 8655-Sandstone next to a CoverCraft Premier Plush Custom Floor Mats "Taupe" on top of my worn and faded trunk space. I ordered several swatches, this was the only color I received that was a close match to oem. It is a lighter hue than oem.
thumbnail.jpg

With the camera flash on. the stock interior plush cut has a bit more of of a sheen to it and is less dense than both the oem carpet and the Cover Craft floor mat swatch.
3.jpg

Here are two Cover Craft swatches next to each other on top up the much less faded carpet beneath the 2nd row seats. The second swatch is "Driftwood"
4.jpg

Same two swatches on top of the most faded carpet area in my 80. Taupe is identical to the faded stock color on this spot.
5.jpg

Additional Notes. I forgot to take a picture of it, but the binding around the edges of the CoverCraft floor matt swatches is a perfect match to the oak color of the center console. I will definitely be ordering these floor mats as a replacement, and plan to have some custom patches made of the Land Cruiser logo found on an OEM floor mat I rescued from a scrap yard - Pic below. these will be sewn onto the floor mats to make everything look factory.
IMG_7756.jpg

I'm not totally satisfied with the quality of the stock interior/ACC materials. so I'm going to investigate marine rated carpets. Will post updates here.

Last edited:
So with with cut pile with mass backing and Essex with mass backing from Auto custom carpet. Does the cut pile with mass backing and ultra plush/ essex with mass backing cut down the road noise/exterior noise tremendously compare to factory carpet setup? It looks like both is superior to factory carpet as it added the benefit of sound insulation other than it is not OEM carpet. Only draw back is it added more labor hour for the installation compare to factory direct drop in installation, but if the ACC carpet offer superior sound insulation and quality is good this is a good option as OE carpet is only available for the front part now, the rest NLA.

Anyone laid down sound deadening material and install the Essex with mass backing/ ultra plush version on top? If so will it be too thick for the carpet to lay down properly without adding complication for trim installation?

So with with cut pile with mass backing and Essex with mass backing from Auto custom carpet. Does the cut pile with mass backing and ultra plush/ essex with mass backing cut down the road noise/exterior noise tremendously compare to factory carpet setup? It looks like both is superior to factory carpet as it added the benefit of sound insulation other than it is not OEM carpet. Only draw back is it added more labor hour for the installation compare to factory direct drop in installation, but if the ACC carpet offer superior sound insulation and quality is good this is a good option as OE carpet is only available for the front part now, the rest NLA.

Anyone laid down sound deadening material and install the Essex with mass backing/ ultra plush version on top? If so will it be too thick for the carpet to lay down properly without adding complication for trim installation?

the ultra plush cut pile with mass backing is much thicker than the OEM carpet. It’s a definite upgrade. I’ve laid down all versions of the ACC carpet, and this is by far the highest quality option.

the mass backing is thick and cumbersome to work with. I have laid down sound and heat insulation, as well as jute underneath with no issues, except that the plastic rear seat step pads will require extended plastic stud caps available at Wits End for $11 each I think. You’ll need 4 of them.

with regards to sound deadening effectiveness, I don’t have any scientific data, but when you compare the carpet to the original OEM stuff, it’s hard to imagine that it wouldn’t provide superior sound and heat insulation. I would still dynamat doors and the rear quarter panels for the best result.

Here is what I used on one of my previous builds, maybe it’ll help.

520EDC0F-9ABE-4453-A490-644D9FA7C208.jpeg

This Summer I installed foil backed butyl sound deadener throughout followed by thicker carpet w mass backing plus the supplied underlayment from stock interiors and it all fit well. Cutting the carpet to fit and getting it all into place took a bit of time/effort but the results were really good. I didn't remove the stock, stuck on sound deadener before adding new sound deadener either.

I had been running with no carpet for about a year while I confirmed all leaks were resolved so the 80 is noticeably quieter but the biggest improvement was heat reduction on the floor and interior generally on longer drives.

will require extended plastic stud caps available at Wits End for $11 each I think. You’ll need 4 of them.

I used these and they've worked out great. The only item that didn't install as I wanted is the plastic strip at the front of the rear carpet. I put it down and it stayed initially but if you move around in the truck/etc. the caps slip off of the threaded studs. Not a big deal at this point but I may try to improve this in the future.

got a link to where it's available by any chance? as in actually in stock.

You can order from your dealer. I've got it sitting in my office closet right now on my to-do list.

That said, only the front half (pedal box to the rear of the second row) is available. The cargo / third-row area is NLA. Also only in Oak. PN 585106A190E0 - I think I paid about $600?

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.5L A/T Carpet assembly, front floor, front. Oak - 585106A190E0 - Genuine Toyota Part - https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_1997_Land-Cruiser-45L-AT/CARPET-ASSEMBLY---FRONT-FLOOR---FRONT-OAK/63463393/585106A190E0.html

Curious how well a rear cargo area carpet replacement from a third party will match the OEM? As it sits now, I'm planning on doing a thorough clean and re-installing that portion. Less than ideal, but I'll have drawers in place.

Nice, I’m doing mine as well here some pics. Going all out. Doing the dynomat, jute, and MLV on top. Hopefully this will help with noise. Here some pics of the install.
How did you like the results of your multi-layered approach? How would you improve on the results?

So
How did you like the results of your multi-layered approach? How would you improve on the results?

Hello,

Carpet is black with backing. So as for the I install took a long time and was really difficult because of how thick everything was. If I were to do I again I would probably leave out the backing on the carpet or not do the dynomat because of how thick it made things. As for noise I could tell a difference in the highway, was not major like getting in a new car but you could tell it was quieter and more insulated. I saw some were doing a a roll on material called lizard skin so was thinking that might have been better to start with. You will have to get the longer plastic screws from wits end to get the side step ups to work if you do this approach and you will need some longer bolts for the seats. Overall happy with the result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom