Stock tires/rims with Spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve been told I can’t go much lower psi. How many miles would you like me to drive unhappy?

To be clear - this is not teeth falling out of your mouth. This is just feeling every bump - I’d describe it more as a “sporty” feel vs plush and comfortable.

I don’t see how driving this more will change anything. I’ll play around with varying set ups and try to find a comfortable solution. Still have my Dunlop’s on the heritage wheel (bronze). Will be selling those too as I have an extra pair.

Also have the HE rear springs if that’s appealing to anyone. Less than 10 miles on those.

Who told you that you can't go lower in PSI? It's worth taking what amounts to opinions on this board with a grain of salt. Even mine. Just because information is often parroted, doesn't make them definitive. But like I said, there's a persistent RCTIP bias presented here that's not allowing for more information that we have on the 200-series platform. I'd encourage you to try 37 PSI. It costs nothing to try. And we know for a fact that based on the same methologies when applied to a heavier variant of the 200-series, that it results in a safe load capacity basis.

Who told you that you can't go lower in PSI? It's worth taking what amounts to opinions on this board with a grain of salt. Even mine. Just because information is often parroted, doesn't make them definitive. But like I said, there's a persistent RCTIP bias presented here that's not allowing for more information that we have on the 200-series platform. I'd encourage you to try 37 PSI. It costs nothing to try. And we know for a fact that based on the same methologies when applied to a heavier variant of the 200-series, that it results in a safe load capacity basis.

Yes. Happy to try that. Running 41 all around. I thought anything lower than 40 is a potential hazzard of wheel popping off tire?

Fake news. Many of us air down to teens for off-road use and don't pop a bead.
True…but you don’t go to the teens on the highway. The big question is how safe is it at high speed when you go lower than appropriate PSI. I don’t have answer. I just remember the whole Ford Expoder fiasco. This is why i go with 46 psi for my KO2. (Note…i did NOT notice any difference b/w 42 and 46 psi in ride comfort.)

It's hard to find a definitive guide because liability is an issue and published tables are going to reflect this. You have TPMS, and it's out there in the world that you won't melt your tires (most likely) if you see a 10% change in cold to hot air pressures. So you can (reasonably) keep going lower until you see a 10% change. Example - I run 37 psi cold, and top out around 41 or 42. I'm good with that. I could also run 35 cold, and top out at 41 or 42. And I choose not to do this. Both PSI are adequate from a load carrying point of view for my tire and weight . . .

True…but you don’t go to the teens on the highway. The big question is how safe is it at high speed when you go lower than appropriate PSI. I don’t have answer. I just remember the whole Ford Expoder fiasco. This is why i go with 46 psi for my KO2. (Note…i did NOT notice any difference b/w 42 and 46 psi in ride comfort.)

It may help your perceptions and what your sharing, if you can separate out what you feel from the tire vs the suspension. It's a world of difference once you know what you're feeling for. No amount of tire pressure will make your stock suspension feel firmer.

Tires tend to interact and absorb or convey more high frequency impacts depending on pressure. Things like expansion joints, road texture, small bumps. It's a huge difference in feel for every PSI once you're dialed into what the difference is. Vice the suspension that really handles the larger amplitude low frequency stuff like speed bumps, bobs in the road, etc.

The pressures we're talking about are no where near Firestone pressures, and there were other design issues going on there. We're no where near Ford levels of compromise.

Last edited:
What pressure are you running? 42PSI? I know there is a love of "technical correctness" for LC derived RCTIP recommendations popular on these boards, but there's more to the story. The technical part is flawed IMO, and LC owners have been running higher pressures than necessary.

......BINGO.

........and also sometimes lower than needed.

Anyway, Michelin Defenders are the softest riding tire known to mankind. I have to think it is something with the new springs you mentioned, the spacers, or too much pressure.

It may help your perceptions and what your sharing, if you can separate out what you feel from the tire vs the suspension. It's a world of difference once you know what you're feeling for. No amount of tire pressure will make your stock suspension feel firmer.

Tires tend to interact and absorb or convey more high frequency impacts depending on pressure. Things like expansion joints, road texture, small bumps. It's a huge difference in feel for every PSI once you're dialed into what the difference is. Vice the suspension that really handles the larger amplitude low frequency stuff like speed bumps, bobs in the road, etc.

The pressures we're talking about are no where near Firestone pressures, and there were other design issues going on there. We're no where near Ford levels of compromise.
Oh i forgot that you’re the expert here……….get over yourself TeCKis300. Here is the guy who once said that LX handles like it’s on rails (as in sports car terminology!) and how much better handling it is than LC…only to be proven wrong with facts. :D

Remember, i have first hand experience with my stock suspension AND my BFG KO2. I drove both PSI (42 and 46) for thousands of miles. So, yeah, i kinda know more about my setup than you. I honestly did not feel a difference.

But go ahead and talk more about my setup…. :D

Last edited:
The gist of this thread seems to be that the poster switched from P rated tires run at PSIs in the low 30's to an LT rated tire with PSI in the 40's. What rear coils are they running? Has the car been properly aligned? Were bushings tightened down with the truck sitting on the ground, etc.

I run P-rated Defender tires in 275/65/18. It is a good tire for the LC and is taller than the stock dunlop by a small amount. Nothing wrong with this size in P. (and I run them at 33 or 34 psi cold)

@Eric Sarjeant what do you use for PSI on the Nitto Grapplers 285 / 60 R18.

If you are talking about the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, then which one? The ISO-Metric 285/60R18 120T XL, or the LT-Metric LT285/60R18 E 122/119Q?

Then there's always the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tire, but again which one? The ISO-Metric 285/60R18 120S XL, or the LT-Metric LT285/60R18 E 122/119S?

HTH

Oh i forgot that you’re the expert here……….get over yourself TeCKis300. Here is the guy who once said that LX handles like it’s on rails (as in sports car terminology!) and how much better handling it is than LC…only to be proven wrong with facts.

Remember, i have first hand experience with my stock suspension AND my BFG KO2. I drove both PSI (42 and 46) for thousands of miles. So, yeah, i kinda know more about my setup than you. I honestly did not feel a difference.

But go ahead and talk more about my setup…. :D

It's impossible to have a normal conversation with you. Just because I don't reply doesn't mean anything stands other than it's futile to discuss.

It's a given across just about everything that KO2s have heavier sidewalls and ride rougher than the competitive set. That's their niche after all - offroad durability and they excel at it. The fact that you say 42PSI and 46PSI is anywhere near soft tells me everything I need to know and that your perceptions aren't informed.

The OP is talking about Defenders, on the other end of the spectrum with far more compliant sidewalls, yet are still too stiff at 42PSI (which I wholly believe). You're saying your KO2s ride like a cloud at 46 PSI. Something does not compute.

As long as you're happy.

Last edited:
The gist of this thread seems to be that the poster switched from P rated tires run at PSIs in the low 30's to an LT rated tire with PSI in the 40's. What rear coils are they running? Has the car been properly aligned? Were bushings tightened down with the truck sitting on the ground, etc.

I run P-rated Defender tires in 275/65/18. It is a good tire for the LC and is taller than the stock dunlop by a small amount. Nothing wrong with this size in P. (and I run them at 33 or 34 psi cold)

Thanks for getting this back in track. Yes. I switched from stock pmetric Dunlop’s to e rated Michelin defender 285/65/18.

I think the HE rides high so I pulled the rear springs and replaced them with stock springs. Lowered the rear end about an inch +.

Car ran perfect. Smooth etc. I’ve owned three of these 200’s. All of them with the oem spec tires. This one - I decided I wanted a tire that 1) filled out wheel well better, 2) sat flush or close to flush with the fenders. On top of the new tires - I added spidertrax 1.25 from Eric S.

First set of e rated tires. It’s the tires, the psi, or the spacers. Or a combo of them all that is creating a firm ride. I’m going to lower the psi first to 37/38 as discussed - then try without spacers. Then try the Dunlop’s I still have with and without spacers...

Sounds like the 275/65/18 in pmetric (defender) is a nice riding tire? Any comparisons to the Dunlop’s? (In terms of comfort - as that is all I’m going for).

All of this was done for looks - I can go right back to the oem setup if need be - but was curious if it was possible to keep the oem feel of the truck with a better looking tire set up (with tires that are highway tires)

Thanks for getting this back in track. Yes. I switched from stock pmetric Dunlop’s to e rated Michelin defender 285/65/18.

I think the HE rides high so I pulled the rear springs and replaced them with stock springs. Lowered the rear end about an inch +.

Car ran perfect. Smooth etc. I’ve owned three of these 200’s. All of them with the oem spec tires. This one - I decided I wanted a tire that 1) filled out wheel well better, 2) sat flush or close to flush with the fenders. On top of the new tires - I added spidertrax 1.25 from Eric S.

First set of e rated tires. It’s the tires, the psi, or the spacers. Or a combo of them all that is creating a firm ride. I’m going to lower the psi first to 37/38 as discussed - then try without spacers. Then try the Dunlop’s I still have with and without spacers...

Sounds like the 275/65/18 in pmetric (defender) is a nice riding tire? Any comparisons to the Dunlop’s? (In terms of comfort - as that is all I’m going for).

All of this was done for looks - I can go right back to the oem setup if need be - but was curious if it was possible to keep the oem feel of the truck with a better looking tire set up (with tires that are highway tires)

On my previous LC I went to D Load AT tires (K02) after having Defenders (SL). Definitely the ride was harsher. I spent a lot of time playing with PSI and went from recommended 48 down to 41. It became an acceptable as I got the better look and more sporty handiling. I assume going to E will be even harsher. Based on my experience I am calling E Load as the problem. I am looking for more road setup this time around as well on my new 21HE (beach driving will be an extend of off-roading). Definitely watching the thread to learn what to replace Dunlops with (I need to go little taller tire to fill the empty space).

It's impossible to have a normal conversation with you. Just because I don't reply doesn't mean anything stands other than it's futile to discuss.

It's a given across just about everything that KO2s have heavier sidewalls and ride rougher than the competitive set. That's their niche after all - offroad durability and they excel at it. The fact that you say 42PSI and 46PSI is anywhere near soft tells me everything I need to know and that your perceptions aren't informed.

The OP is talking about Defenders, on the other end of the spectrum with far more compliant sidewalls, yet are still too stiff at 42PSI (which I wholly believe). You're saying your KO2s ride like a cloud at 46 PSI. Something does not compute.

As long as you're happy.
Seriously, WTF are you even talking about??? Did you even read what I wrote? Or did you just come to random conclusion?!

“Just because I don’t reply doesn’t mean anything stands”…what?! So, i have to get your blessing to post anything about MY experience with my setup?!

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! You are truly a pompous arse. Now, i don’t feel so guilty making you look like a fool before with your claims of LX handling superiority. Handling on rails! Hahaha

I don’t even understand what you wrote. Huh?!

Last edited:
If you are talking about the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, then which one? The ISO-Metric 285/60R18 120T XL, or the LT-Metric LT285/60R18 E 122/119Q?

Then there's always the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tire, but again which one? The ISO-Metric 285/60R18 120S XL, or the LT-Metric LT285/60R18 E 122/119S?

HTH
Grappler G2. Eric installed them on my ride. I was asking what he inflated them to.

275/65 p metric will give you the ride you’re looking for and thank you for the pictures.

Yes, the Michelin Defenders in P275/65/18 (116T) are considered an outstanding tire. I like mine but the look is not "cool". I've never had the stock Dunlops but I assume the softness is comparable. Note my size is one higher and a bit narrower than OEM, but if you leave the spidertrax (which I don't think changed the ride) the 275 width is fine. Spidertraxx are not needed at that size, but the look of the LC is better with the tires less inboard (in my opinion of course). I run stock 2019 LC wheels with 1" Bora hub centric spacers.

That said, the height difference isn't huge vs stock Dunlops. You can compare here but there will still be variations by brand: Tire Size Comparison - https://tiresize.com/comparison/

On my 275/65/18 Defenders, on a 2013 LC, the size change made my speedometer dead on with GPS speed, FWIW. The Defenders handle well, are very highly reviewed, and seem to last forever.

If you want a little more "fill the wheel well" look and stick with P-rated, the primary (only?) option is the General Grabber APT P rated 275/70/18 (the stock tire and size on some Nissan Titans). https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...GRAPTOWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Have you had an alignment? I went to bigger tires with spacers and was disappointed in the diminished ride quality. Took it for an alignment at the dealership and its back to its former glory, if not better.

I would start by removing the spacers since they do increase your scrub radius, which is usually what causes a harsh ride over rough roads. The guys from Shock Therapy have a great video explaining how scrub radius impacts ride quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom