Stock tires/rims with Spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Probably an unpopular post / but here goes. I traded up and ditched the stock tires for 285/65/18 defenders. Added spydertrax 1.25 spacers.

I don’t like the ride at all. Too harsh - picks up every bump in road. Annoying (to me!).

I’m considering going back to stock tire (Dunlop) but keeping spacers.

Anyone have pics of stock set up with spacers???

Thx.

Did you check the tire pressure thread to make sure the tires are at correct inflation? And you don't want to invest in an aftermarket suspension? You can certainly put the stockers back on, they'll be fine. If you search 1.25" spacer I'm sure some pics will show up for you to look at; it'll look a lot like what you have now, with a different sidewall, poke'll be the same.

Apparently 285/65 only has e rated in it. There are some P tires in 275/70r18 . . .

What pressure are you running? 42PSI? I know there is a love of "technical correctness" for LC derived RCTIP recommendations popular on these boards, but there's more to the story. The technical part is flawed IMO, and LC owners have been running higher pressures than necessary.

Try the setup with LX570 derived pressures, which are equally safe and applicable. After all, it's derived from a heavier vehicle so safety is not really a question.

Try an RCTIP of 37psi. It'll make a big difference.

Wholly possible it still may not be good enough at which point I would recommend a P or XL rated tire.

Did you check the tire pressure thread to make sure the tires are at correct inflation? And you don't want to invest in an aftermarket suspension? You can certainly put the stockers back on, they'll be fine. If you search 1.25" spacer I'm sure some pics will show up for you to look at; it'll look a lot like what you have now, with a different sidewall, poke'll be the same.

Apparently 285/65 only has e rated in it. There are some P tires in 275/70r18 . . .

I did. I’m running everything at 42. I’m all highway. Thanks for the note.

Yes - everything in E at that size. Too bad as it fits the wheel well perfectly. I’m looking to try the defender in the 275/65/18 in P. Hoping that will make a difference but this is expensive trial and error. Hence the consideration of going back to Dunlop... just love the look with spacers.

I did. I’m running everything at 42. I’m all highway. Thanks for the note.

Yes - everything in E at that size. Too bad as it fits the wheel well perfectly. I’m looking to try the defender in the 275/65/18 in P. Hoping that will make a difference but this is expensive trial and error. Hence the consideration of going back to Dunlop... just love the look with spacers.
IF you can go back to stock tires, then go for it. But, in case you cannot get stock tires and want stock size, there are two options:

1. Michelin Defender XL 285/60/18. These are P-metric (not LT) but they are XL rated for high load capacity. So, same tire pressure as the stock Dunlops…so, should provide similar stock ride? But tougher tire carcass. And they are Defenders.

2. BFG KO2 LT285/60/18 Load Range D. This is what i have now. Rides great. Even tho it is set at 46 psi, it feels soft…maybe because it is Load Range D?? Other owners with this specific tire size agree with me on the ride. It’s pretty quiet too.

Personally, i am still debating b/w the two tires above. I have about 24k miles on the KO2. Still great. When they do wear out, then it will be one of the two above.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to run good quality spacers, properly installed (Loctited and torqued correctly). I've run spidertrax 1.25" on several land cruisers.

I don't doubt the validity of what MadTiger posted above, I just don't think it actually matters that much in the real world.

I wouldn't worry much about adverse impacts.

There’s a few on here that get all wrapped around the axel if you say you don’t like spacers so be warned...

I can attest that they made my new vehicle ride horribly with the stock Dunlops and then a Ridge Grapplers. I get that it shouldn’t* affect ride but let me tell you, on this particular vehicle, they do not play nicely.

Save yourself the ass pain and bin the spacers.

FWIW I 've been toting kids and equipment for 30+ years in Suburbans, Disco's, X5's and RR's. On the LC I went from 2020 stock setup to 275/70R18 Defender's at 41psi with 1.25 Bora aluminums, and I couldn't be more pleased. Biggest daily-driving improvement of any suv I've had. Tracks better in the corners, has less dive and is more responsive to driver input. Only negative to me is they're not as agile in soft sand.

Probably an unpopular post / but here goes. I traded up and ditched the stock tires for 285/65/18 defenders. Added spydertrax 1.25 spacers.

I don’t like the ride at all. Too harsh - picks up every bump in road. Annoying (to me!).

I’m considering going back to stock tire (Dunlop) but keeping spacers.

Anyone have pics of stock set up with spacers???

Thx.
Don’t go back to Dunlops unless you still have them sitting around. They are silly expensive. Take off the spacers and see if you like the ride. If so, you’ll know it’s the spacers causing the issue. If the ride doesn’t improve, get a P metric of XL tire. Either the 275/65-18 (what I have) or the 285/60-18 Defender will be perfect for your highway miles. IMHO, it may very well be the E rated tires you have causing the harsher ride.

I had the 275/70 size, E-rated as well. I'm debating on doing 285/65. (I'm all over the place, even considered 285/70 RGs) I was quite happy with my Defenders but that's because I was coming from worn KO2's. If it were from stock tires then yes they rode harder due to the LT construction.

Look at it this way, the Defender is by far the most comfortable and among the lightest weight LT tires you can buy. So if you like the look these are your best bet.

Can you post pics of your truck looks with this size Defender on?

I can't comment on wheel spacers causing the ride problems as I haven't run them.

I went 275/70-18 (LT KO2s) - I love this tire while towing but daily driving is too harsh. I have a small lift so hesitate to go back to stock size but I wouldn't mind getting out of an E-rated next round.

I had the 275/70 size, E-rated as well. I'm debating on doing 285/65. (I'm all over the place, even considered 285/70 RGs) I was quite happy with my Defenders but that's because I was coming from worn KO2's. If it were from stock tires then yes they rode harder due to the LT construction.

Look at it this way, the Defender is by far the most comfortable and among the lightest weight LT tires you can buy. So if you like the look these are your best bet.

Can you post pics of your truck looks with this size Defender on?

I can't comment on wheel spacers causing the ride problems as I haven't run them.

Yes. Happy to take some pictures. IMO these looks perfect. Happy to sell them to you too. They have 20 miles on them!

Hang tight.

The tires have 20 miles on them, and you've run them at one pressure, and your judgment is that they are too harsh from this short sample?

I’ve been told I can’t go much lower psi. How many miles would you like me to drive unhappy?

To be clear - this is not teeth falling out of your mouth. This is just feeling every bump - I’d describe it more as a “sporty” feel vs plush and comfortable.

I don’t see how driving this more will change anything. I’ll play around with varying set ups and try to find a comfortable solution. Still have my Dunlop’s on the heritage wheel (bronze). Will be selling those too as I have an extra pair.

Also have the HE rear springs if that’s appealing to anyone. Less than 10 miles on those.

Yes. Happy to take some pictures. IMO these looks perfect. Happy to sell them to you too. They have 20 miles on them!

Hang tight.

Attachments

• 254590D3-3399-4DE5-A02C-94DF372042E5.jpeg
    254590D3-3399-4DE5-A02C-94DF372042E5.jpeg
    717.2 KB · Views: 148
  • F2278C2E-EACF-4863-B17C-19C64A7FA145.jpeg
    F2278C2E-EACF-4863-B17C-19C64A7FA145.jpeg
    628 KB · Views: 150
  • A402AFE5-F0F0-4F5F-9A84-536BC95FD8BA.jpeg
    A402AFE5-F0F0-4F5F-9A84-536BC95FD8BA.jpeg
    632.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 404CEB05-AB35-468C-8E05-7FDC74210795.jpeg
    404CEB05-AB35-468C-8E05-7FDC74210795.jpeg
    679.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 9CC6FC84-B58A-4028-89C3-C211B0BA2F70.jpeg
    9CC6FC84-B58A-4028-89C3-C211B0BA2F70.jpeg
    802.7 KB · Views: 147
If it was me, I'd explore some lower tire pressures and get some seat time before making a call, but it's your truck, and you can obviously do whatever you like.

I also don't think you are going to get a plush ride out of a land cruiser without compromising its utility. But that's just my personal opinion. The stock suspension and tires are about as plush as it is going to get.

Also, in your reply you added that you have stock springs available. Does that suggest that you put aftermarket springs on? That seems like a much more likely culprit for reduction in ride quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom