Stock Power Steering Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rmlca.ab.ca
After a particularly hard weekend of wheeling, which included mud, more mud, and some pretty heavy overheating, my stock PS has been giving me some grief. While driving, the first 1/2 turn of the steering wheel is as it should be, and then it gets really stiff, like the is no power for the power steering. Is this a steering box issue or a pump issue? There is no squealing of the belt, so it's not that, and the fluid is full and is actually pretty clean.

Since everyone likes pictures so much, I attached a couple. There are no really bad mud pictures, as most of the bad part was after dark.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Kevin
rubycon1.JPG
HPIM1158 sm.jpg

Great pics, my guess is its the pump. i have rarely seen the gear box go out. it does happen, just the pumps seem to go first.

Oh by the way watch out for that dog you are about to hit in the first pic.. :lol:

GL :beer:

Thanks for the input. $OR says the pump isn't really rebuildable, (machining involved) and a new one is $400. Is there any way to see if the pump has actually failed? I don't really want to drop tons of $ into the stock PS, it's on the "to replace" list when I do the SOA in the front with hysteer and saginaw PS.

We were stopped in the picture, so there was no chance at hitting the dog!

Then either find a used one from another Toyota, fight it till you start your conversion, or, just start your conversion sooner.

Mini truck pumps should work fine, as would a 60 series pump.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom