Stock Height Numbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stock in 1985 or stock after 38 years of sag? ;)
stock!

I'm basically trying to figure out how my truck is currently configured.... It needs new suspension... everything under there is pretty worn... I'm fairly certain it has an AAL in back with torsion bars cranked up front.... but when I refresh I want to keep the same measurements... more or less... I'm also running a soft top... So I am debating an OME kit or Dobinsons kit and pulling leafs or just new stock springs and seeing what that yields then doing an AAL if needed. I'm not interested in doing Chevys. I also then have to figure out shocks... seems most of the shock options are more for 3" of lift + or stock. At least the billsteins. In any case... I have a lot to think about, I'm just mostly concerned with how to get the rear basically where it is now with new stuff.

Front from center of hub
9D62F8F5-EBDC-415A-9290-47F9E42B06D5.jpeg

Rear from center of hub
975FACC6-109D-4919-AD33-A94D5E3AF6AA.jpeg

After digging through the threads this afternoon it looks like I need to do something like @BlueCruiser84 and @joseywales did. Basically modify an OME spring pack and then either match up front with T-bar crank or ball-joint spacers. Will the OME shocks be too long after removing the leafs? I don't want to blow them out.

I’ll chime in. My OME leaf packs were not modified, and the ’Runner rode great.

Mine WERE modified, but I did not lift the front. If you are lifting the front just run the OME springs as they are.

It will likely yield too much lift from the majority or reports.

I have the modified OME springs I used. You can buy them from me. I’m just down around Staunton. I installed some Allpro springs out back. The OME are just sitting in my garage.

I’m still trying to decide what I’m gonna do. I want a 60 or 55 project but if I can’t get a good trade or price for the 4Runner I’ll probably throw on an all new suspension. It’s in my garage right now getting new timing chain and all new gaskets/seals fan clutch, hoses etc…..

F5D4D239-2A44-4ECC-9A69-C0E9D1758D9D.jpeg

I've got a hundred miles or so on unmodified OME springs. They are stiff (!) and the truck is a bit taller than I'd hoped. 100 miles isn't enough to get these to settle, but given how few miles I put on this truck, it makes more sense to shortcut the process and pull a leaf.

for reference, the tires are 33s and Louis is a 70lb Catahoula ;)
Picture1.png

Yea. Spring settling is kind of a wishful thinking rationalization thing people do. Maybe a half inch… and it takes a while. OMEs aren’t known to settle down much. I think most of these trucks ride rough regardless. Some people seem to get lucky. I had an 85 pu years ago. The OME lift was ultra stiff. That was SFA though. I’ve always been happy with the OME on everything else thought. 80 series, FJC, Taco….. honestly as nice as this 4Runner is I’ll really be happy if I can get back to a heavier SFA truck.

Yea. Spring settling is kind of a wishful thinking rationalization thing people do. Maybe a half inch… and it takes a while. OMEs aren’t known to settle down much.
That's always been my experience - that spring settle really isn't a thing. But that's all I heard/read about the OME system - that it'd settle 3/4" to 1". Regardless, I don't think I'm going to wait long.

I think the other catch is what shock you mate it with if you want a smaller lift/ leveling. I’m running 31s and don’t want to look silly pants so a small lift is all I want. I’d be ok with another inch from my above measurement at the most.

6E27F1BF-93FD-43CB-A0B8-AEC2AA059EF6.jpeg

I've got a hundred miles or so on unmodified OME springs. They are stiff (!) and the truck is a bit taller than I'd hoped. 100 miles isn't enough to get these to settle, but given how few miles I put on this truck, it makes more sense to shortcut the process and pull a leaf.

for reference, the tires are 33s and Louis is a 70lb Catahoula ;)
That’s a sweet looking truck!

I’ve got the heavy OME springs under my ‘85

Unloaded they were uncomfortably stiff in the rear, I tossed approximately 600lbs of scrap steel in the bed last summer and hauled that plus my normal loads for a few months. Much, much better now. The truck actually sits level-ish and rides pretty well.

Even stiff it handled better than the skyjacker kit that was on there previously.

It’s worth noting the suspension is two years old now, a 30gal aux fuel tank lives in the bed, and I’ve hauled loads heavy enough that the truck felt unsafe above 45mph…

Time will help, although the front end was also stiff until I put the winch bumper on… now it feels like it’ll need another leaf in the future.

Here it is moving my summer camp. I got the little diesel strung out to a whopping 65MPH at one point!

7DB05CBD-5E83-4ACF-9144-42ABAEA7899F.jpeg

That’s sweet. Honestly, I have absolutely no reason not to love my 4Runner. I just don’t. I dunno. I tried hard to fall in love with it but despite how nice it is I’d rather have a 60 or 55 that needs patching and looks like a trail truck. I dunno.

That’s sweet. Honestly, I have absolutely no reason not to love my 4Runner. I just don’t. I dunno. I tried hard to fall in love with it but despite how nice it is I’d rather have a 60 or 55 that needs patching and looks like a trail truck. I dunno.

Well, if you don’t love it you should probably sell it to some who will!

I don’t know if you’ve been around the old cruisers much. Totally different animals.

Mine’s too clean to for me to justify any decent off-road mods, but up here where our trail are skinny, I just don’t see the point in the first place.

It’s (comparatively) huge and heavy. Being a 62 it’s got the slush-box, which doesn’t help. But I don’t think it would be nearly as fun off road as my truck is, just from a basic design perspective.

Perhaps I’ll acquire a diesel/manual cruiser someday, but until then the mini truck/4Runner platform seems far better suited to be a daily/weekend warrior combo IMO.

Last edited:
Yea. I’m pretty familiar. I had an 80 series as well back in the day. I have a 2001 Tacoma for my daily. I really want a wagon with a 2f. As long as it has it where it counts. I grew up with old chevys and several people I know have older cruisers. I’m always on the prowl for the right trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom