Stock Dunlops to -> KO2s: switch spare as well? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I bit the bullet and ordered KO2s for my LC, even though the Dunlops still have quite a bit of tread on them. Had a couple of questions:
1. Should I replace the (brand new) spare Dunlop with a KO2 as well? If I do need to use the spare, what would driving with 3 KO2s and a stock Dunlop be like? Bad for the truck or for traction? Vehicle systems will be confused?
2. Any ballpark numbers on how much the 4 used Dunlops (19K miles on them) and 1 new one would go for? Wondering if it worth the hassle to sell or let the tire shop handle it?

This forum is my favorite place to hang out now, learn a lot from all the discussions.

I bought all 5 matching Michelins when replacing the OEM tires and suggest you do the same with the BFGs. Then do a 5 tire rotation every 5000 miles and those KO2s will last a long time. The factory Dunlops are pretty much worthless on the used market, at least here in Michigan. It’s likely not worth the hassle to sell them yourself.

I bought 4, kept Dunlop as spare, put 25k on them so far and haven’t regretted it yet. The Dunlops had 4K on them when I sold them, got about $200 on Craigslist for them. For me, I didn’t want to do a 5 tire rotation every time I needed to do one since I accumulate miles relatively quickly, so I figured the spare would be sitting on there unused anyway. I’ll get the same effect just buying a new one if I need to. The spare Dunlop functions for emergencies only.

I'm also in the "buy 5 (or 6)" camp though I guess it wouldn't be that bad if the KO2s are in the stock size and you don't go offroad. If you do go offroad then definitely get the fifth KO2.

Thanks for all the info! KO2s are stock size. How readily would a regular tire shop (like say Discount Tire) do a 5 tire rotation? Thinking I should spend the extra couple of hundred, get the fifth and not have to worry about tires/tire swap for a long time. I am not ready to get to a 6th one yet :)

DT should be able to do a 5 tire rotation in 30 mins. You’ll wait longer in the lobby for your turn on the lift than the actual tire rotation. I keep a visio/ppt of the sequence to remind myself of the order, you could give them your version and they’d follow it. I’ve even marked my tires with tire chalk when I’ve had other places do my rotation (I usually do my own but sometimes I’ll combine services and this helps ‘paint by number easy’ if you’re OCD)

I bought 5 from DT. Because I purchased from DT they do my rotations for free. I do them every 5K. As Kevin said, in about 30 minutes. And I always have them set the PSI with the PSI for the spare being about 3 PSI higher than normal. Always easier to let a few PSI out of the tire should I need to use the spare than trying to inflate a spare that over time has lost some air. BTW, the tire rotation sequence in the owners manual is different than the typical DT rotation. In the owners manual, the tires stay on the same side. Front and back are swapped. Spare is mixed in with the right side rotation. Not sure why that is recommended in the owners manual.

My KO2s are the 285/65 (slightly larger than stock) version and E rated. I have been told that tires of different height/traction can throw off the traction control should those systems be required. And I occasionally go off road where flats are more likely and traction control is more important.

If you never go off road then I don't know why you would need the KO2s.

I bought 5 from DT. Because I purchased from DT they do my rotations for free. I do them every 5K. As Kevin said, in about 30 minutes. And I always have them set the PSI with the PSI for the spare being about 3 PSI higher than normal. Always easier to let a few PSI out of the tire should I need to use the spare than trying to inflate a spare that over time has lost some air. BTW, the tire rotation sequence in the owners manual is different than the typical DT rotation. In the owners manual, the tires stay on the same side. Front and back are swapped. Spare is mixed in with the right side rotation. Not sure why that is recommended in the owners manual.

My KO2s are the 285/65 (slightly larger than stock) version and E rated. I have been told that tires of different height/traction can throw off the traction control should those systems be required. And I occasionally go off road where flats are more likely and traction control is more important.

If you never go off road then I don't know why you would need the KO2s.
Thanks!
Off-road use: Yes, I intend to, have only had it for less than 2 weeks now. Never done off-roading before, so will start with something easy and work my way up.

Cool. Should be some great areas to explore in WA though I have never off roaded there. There are guys on MUD who have. I hope to be out there his Summer. I don't know if flats are as likely in western WA. Most of my off road exploring has been done in CO, UT and AZ and sharp rocks can be an issue here. And when you get a flat off road, you can't call AAA. ;)

Did the 5th tire cost me? Sure. But because I rotate every 5K and DT does it for free, the spare gets worked into the rotation. (Though I'm still unclear on why Toyota has you work it into only one side. I would prefer to make each tire work the same amount of miles. Oh well.

In my opinion it depends on where you are going. I ordered 5 because where I was going I wasn't sure I could access the tires I was wearing. I have no problem most of the time getting to a tire shop with access to tires but if I am planning on a trip to a more remote location I expect to use the replacement for a longer time. A space saver spare is fine on your commuter vehicle but not on an excursion truck. Try and get a 20" Michelin AT2 in the Yukon without having to wait for shipping.

In my opinion it depends on where you are going. I ordered 5 because where I was going I wasn't sure I could access the tires I was wearing. I have no problem most of the time getting to a tire shop with access to tires but if I am planning on a trip to a more remote location I expect to use the replacement for a longer time. A space saver spare is fine on your commuter vehicle but not on an excursion truck. Try and get a 20" Michelin AT2 in the Yukon without having to wait for shipping.
I hear you, considering that Discount Tire in Redmond is having me wait for 4-5 days while they order the tire from CA.

Cool. Should be some great areas to explore in WA though I have never off roaded there. There are guys on MUD who have. I hope to be out there his Summer. I don't know if flats are as likely in western WA. Most of my off road exploring has been done in CO, UT and AZ and sharp rocks can be an issue here. And when you get a flat off road, you can't call AAA. ;)

Did the 5th tire cost me? Sure. But because I rotate every 5K and DT does it for free, the spare gets worked into the rotation. (Though I'm still unclear on why Toyota has you work it into only one side. I would prefer to make each tire work the same amount of miles. Oh well.
If you are coming to the neighborhood, drop me a message. Would be fun to meet up.
WA is rarely flat anywhere on this side of the Cascades.

WA is rarely flat anywhere on this side of the Cascades.

:) One of our sons and his wife live in Seattle. Greenwood area. My Dad was raised just north of Green Lake. I definitely get the no flat area challenges. Everything is either up, down or water. (I was born in Seattle and raised in Portland and Eugene.)

I bought 4 285/55/20 BFG AT/KO's and my spare is a new Dunflop 285/50/20. If I have a flat I will go directly to a tire shop and have my KO2 fixed. I don't go off road and I did not feel like spending $360 for a spare. If I have a flat I will drive slowly to the closest tire shop.

Realized my prior vsdx file didn't upload so I converted it here.

On the subject of OCD - regardless of rotating yourself or at DT, be sure to verify your lug nut torque a few days afterwards with a quality torque wrench...

5 tire rotation.png

Last edited:
When I got my K02s, I went up about 1" in diameter. Stock is P285/60R18. I went with P285/65R18 for the K02s. So I definitely needed 5, and I'm doing a 5-tire rotation.

Just a reminder, tell the tire guys 97ft-lb and hand torque.

Just a reminder, tell the tire guys 97ft-lb and hand torque.
What would they normally do if not told anything? Trying to understand if this is specific to the tire or to the LC.
Any PSI recommendations? This is a D1 load tire, stock LC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom