35s in stock spare location (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ATwoZ

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm due for some new rubber and looking to up size my 33 Duratracs (275/70r18) to some of the new AT4Ws. I know 34s at 295/70r18 would be a slam dunk, but I'm tempted to go to 35s (285/75r18)- I see some folks saying 35s won't fit in the stock spare location so looking for some feedback on fitment...any areas this might be a bad idea etc etc.

Would love to go with just adding the rear bumper, but tires will be expensive enough, not looking to add another few grand on top of that right now.

Honestly, the rear bumper swing outs are annoying for a mostly street driven truck. I had a hitch mounted spare carrier(Dirtcom) for a while and it was more of a hassle than it was worth.

I dont have a 200 yet but I am guessing you could air down the spare, and use a ratchet strap to pull it back against the rear crossmember. This is how I ran a 285/70R17 on my GX460 that everyone said couldnt be done.

I just carried around a 12V compressor with me, which I would do anyways.

Honestly, the rear bumper swing outs are annoying for a mostly street driven truck. I had a hitch mounted spare carrier(Dirtcom) for a while and it was more of a hassle than it was worth.

I dont have a 200 yet but I am guessing you could air down the spare, and use a ratchet strap to pull it back against the rear crossmember. This is how I ran a 285/70R17 on my GX460 that everyone said couldnt be done.

I just carried around a 12V compressor with me, which I would do anyways.
Yeah, it's a thought, and your right on the fun of swing outs....I've already got OBA so adding air isn't a huge deal, but sometimes nice to have the over-inflated spare just in case.

I've also considered getting a non-matching spare and treating it as such...right now I rotate through all five.

It’s not gonna work my friend. Your spare will be wedged against the pan hard bar if you can even get it in there. If you are set on no tire carrier then run a 295 for a spare. The diameter difference will be fine.

@tbisaacs How tight is the 295 in spare location? Looks like difference between these two sizes is actually pretty minimal (0.5" in diameter difference, so 0.25" on the radius)

Very tight.
@tbisaacs How tight is the 295 in spare location? Looks like difference between these two sizes is actually pretty minimal (0.5" in diameter difference, so 0.25" on the radius)

My 35x12.5 Yokohama did not fit. And if you squeezed it in you lost about 5 inches or rear end ground clearance.

I removed the front tire bracket, shimmed the tire cage and chain up an inch etc.

I roll locally without a spare and then throw a carrier on over the weekends takes me 8-10 minutes to mount it up.

My 35x12.5 Yokohama did not fit. And if you squeezed it in you lost about 5 inches or rear end ground clearance.

I removed the front tire bracket, shimmed the tire cage and chain up an inch etc.

I roll locally without a spare and then throw a carrier on over the weekends takes me 8-10 minutes to mount it up.
Hmm ok- yeah 33 fits and tire width wouldn't change much....35x12.5 is definitely a wider tire, what you chose to do makes sense there for sure.

I have a half used 35x10.5x17 Kenda RT in there. But it is mounted on a dropped spare crossmember as I have the OEM sub tank above it. Clearance in diameter is fine, but I just bought a used tire to match the others and I was pretty sure it would fit as it has 1/4” of tread used off it. A side benefit was it was a lot less $.
The tire is fully above the diff but not by much, departure angle isn’t great.

I have a half used 35x10.5x17 Kenda RT in there. But it is mounted on a dropped spare crossmember as I have the OEM sub tank above it. Clearance in diameter is fine, but I just bought a used tire to match the others and I was pretty sure it would fit as it has 1/4” of tread used off it. A side benefit was it was a lot less $.
The tire is fully above the diff but not by much, departure angle isn’t great.
Hmmm...do you think diameter clearance would work if the sub tank wasn't there?

Just need moar lift so the panhard swings away from the tire

I recently learned that panhard rods with spare tire clearance is a thing for Jeeps.

I recently learned that panhard rods with spare tire clearance is a thing for Jeeps.
I was wondering why no one did this for GX460/4Runners. There are certainly plenty of people trying to run large enough tires like 285/70’s to that they would sell.

Hmmm...do you think diameter clearance would work if the sub tank wasn't there?
I think maybe, but again, I’ve got a used tire in there.
I also would run a ratchet strapped flat spare. But I’m stoopid.

I think maybe, but again, I’ve got a used tire in there.
I also would run a ratchet strapped flat spare. But I’m stoopid.
I mean in the realm of 'stupid' - how horrible would it be to just keep one of my current 33s under there and then just replace the 4 and rotate them instead of all 5? Current tires still have a bit of tread, definitely aren't bald etc.

I mean in the realm of 'stupid' - how horrible would it be to just keep one of my current 33s under there and then just replace the 4 and rotate them instead of all 5? Current tires still have a bit of tread, definitely aren't bald etc.

I rotate 5 because IMO letting a tire rot under the truck is ‘stupid’. You paid for that tire, get your money out of it. It also exercises the winch, so when you do need the spare, you won’t have any surprises. Or not, whatever. Just make sure the spare is safe. When it lives under there full time you don’t see it deteriorate.

I rotate 5 because IMO letting a tire rot under the truck is ‘stupid’. You paid for that tire, get your money out of it. It also exercises the winch, so when you do need the spare, you won’t have any surprises. Or not, whatever. Just make sure the spare is safe. When it lives under there full time you don’t see it deteriorate.
Fair...that's what I've been doing, so would be getting a bit more out of this one.

You're right on the tire pulley- don't know if it was shop or what, but had one seize on me and replaced it. Definitely would have been worse in field.

I wouldn't run a 33" tire as a spare when you have 35s, except maybe to hobble myself off a trail at low speed. Too much stress on the drivetrain. That's about a 6% difference in circumference, and it's generally stated that all tires should be within 3% (or less).

You might be able to squeeze a bald 35" tire deflated in there, and then plan to inflate it if you needed it. That difference in circumference is likely fine to use temporarily. Kenda Klever is a good bald option if you can find once since they're 1-2" narrower so less tire hanging down, especially if you're planning to run 35x12.5. I've considered the ratchet strap idea but if you have a strap around that tire for years before you need it I'd be afraid the rubber would be deformed. Plus you're likely squeezing the center of the tire but the sidewalls will still stick out and may contact the panhard rod. FWIW I had a 34" (285/75R17) under there and it cleared the panhard with a small amount of space but a 35 wouldn't have fit, save *maybe* for a KO2 which tend to run shorter than listed.

I wouldn't run a 33" tire as a spare when you have 35s, except maybe to hobble myself off a trail at low speed. Too much stress on the drivetrain. That's about a 6% difference in circumference, and it's generally stated that all tires should be within 3% (or less).

You might be able to squeeze a bald 35" tire deflated in there, and then plan to inflate it if you needed it. That difference in circumference is likely fine to use temporarily. Kenda Klever is a good bald option if you can find once since they're 1-2" narrower so less tire hanging down, especially if you're planning to run 35x12.5. I've considered the ratchet strap idea but if you have a strap around that tire for years before you need it I'd be afraid the rubber would be deformed. Plus you're likely squeezing the center of the tire but the sidewalls will still stick out and may contact the panhard rod. FWIW I had a 34" (285/75R17) under there and it cleared the panhard with a small amount of space but a 35 wouldn't have fit, save *maybe* for a KO2 which tend to run shorter than listed.
Interesting- good feedback on mismatched sizes. Didn't know about the recommended size differences. I'd been leaning toward the 285/75r18, so one size up from yours- and I guess a 'smaller' 35.

You happy with 34s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom