Stigr build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a new white 2018 LC200 (Stigr) to travel with family in North America, South America, and maybe overseas. I have two kids, and my significant other has two kids. Stigr is my chosen means to create experiences with them. I needed to figure out how to carry as many as 6 people and their gear. I did not buy a large luxury off road vehicle to fill it with equipment and drawers. I bought it to carry people. Rancher in Argentina sitting next to my son? Yes.

I want to spend as much time off pavement in remote locations as possible, but not rock crawling, nor high speed desert driving. I plan to do weeklong to many monthslong drives. Adventure travel.

Durability, safety, reliability, and serviceability were my top criteria for choosing the LC200 and it is the same for my build. Stigr is also my daily driver along with my bicycle. I could care less how Stigr handles getting groceries.

I don't want to change much mechanically or especially electronically. I want to go light where possible for fuel economy, handling, reliability, and because I dislike packing, unpacking, repacking, strapping, zipping, latching, securing, moving, lifting, folding, rummaging, or any other verb one might describe to manage stuff.

I come from a backpacking background. My expectations for comfort are low. Philosophically, I don't want all the comforts. It actually takes away from the experience for me. The LC200 is already a luxury. I don't want to surround myself with even more.

Major equipment choices

1. 285/75/17 KO2s
  2. Braid Winrace T 7.5 wide rims at 40 mm offset
  3. King 2.5 remote reservoir coil over shocks, standard length and valving, no fins nor bypass, 650lb springs in front, 440lbs in back. SPC UCA.
  4. Dissent aluminum front bumper with lights on and in the bumper
  5. Winch
  6. Dissent aluminum rear bumper with tire swing out and storage
  7. Dissent sliders and armor
  8. Long ranger fuel tank

Other items
  1. Safari snorkel
  2. Air tank to reinflate tires
  3. Diff breathers
  4. Cell booster
  5. Roof rack
  6. Thule cargo box
  7. Oztents
  8. Awning
  9. Yeti cooler
  10. Modest Water storage
  11. 1 up bike rack

Here is what I am choosing to avoid in/on the truck because of (1) weight, (2) there is a technically simpler solution, (3) handling, or (4) it's simply not desired.

1. ARB bumpers
  2. Engine-bay compressor
  3. Dual battery
  4. Additional lockers
  5. Supercharger
  6. Mud terrain tires
  7. Heavy loads on the roof (rtt)
  8. Refrigerator
  9. Huge water storage capacity (>15 gal)
  10. Shower
  11. Hot water or air heater
  12. Solar panel or generator
  13. Extra lights for various purposes

Let's start with the Kings. They will last as long as the truck, parts are readily available, they do well to absorb smallish bumps compared to say Icons and will do it very well over 8 hours of washboards, potholes, and rocky roads.

Braid winrace rims I could get the offset I wanted in a 17" and their quality is top notch.

Dissent because they make durable and light protection.

Long ranger fuel tank, snorkel, and diff breathers to decrease the risk that I strand myself and the family by being a numbskull which I have the proven capability of being (see my post on electrical damage due to driving in a mud puddle).

The Thule helps considerably. I drool over $300 aluminum cases, but the Thule swallows sleeping bags, pillows, thermarests, chairs, tables, and duffel bags--the bulky lightweight items I want on the roof all in an aerodynamic box. Concerns about durability have not been borne out.

Next to the the Thule I can slide two RV5 Oztents and an awning without exceeding weight limits.

Three kids in the second row, one in a third row seat, with one removed gives me some space internally.

Yes a cooler. No power demand, no moving parts. Ice can last 2 weeks if properly done.

Air tank for re-inflation. No power demand, no moving parts. Yes it's not an infinite supply of air, but I don't need an infinite supply.

Cell booster so I can tether my laptop and work on my way to and from the fun minimizing vacation days spent.

Water. Forget the hot shower. Jump in a lake or stream. Yes it's cold. I carry a pur water filter for emergencies. Jugs or bottles of water are everywhere. I don't be need to carry 100 lbs of water unless I intend to cross the Gobi.

Extra lights at camp. Pass. Use a headlamp. Solar power, generator, more/better batteries, and redarc power management, for what?

Phase I: Thule, tents, awning, Yeti, bike rack
Phase II: Wheels, suspension, snorkel, diff breathers
Phase III: Bumpers, armor, roof rack, winch
Phase IV: Long ranger tank, cell booster.

Stigr in the wild.

IMG_20200523_142349.jpg

IMG_20200522_184505.jpg

I've been eyeing a 270 awning. What are your impressions?

It's really easy to set up. The shaded area is sufficient. A smaller awning depending on the time of day may provide a very small patch of shade. My awning is up in the afternoon and evening so sun is low in the sky shrinking shade. I want to cook, eat, and socialize while not standing in the rain.

I have had it up during very heavy downpours and it held strong, but it requires monitoring even with poles lowered to drain water. No regrets, I don't see any advantage going smaller unless you primarily travel alone and in good weather.

Last edited:
I've been eyeing a 270 awning. What are your impressions?
I'm not the op, but we have a rhino 270 batwing on our camper and they are awesome!

I am very happy with the results. There is a little rubbing on the front fenders, but drivable. There is some trimming in my future.

IMG_20200626_150225.jpg

IMG_20200626_125930.jpg

How much lift did you end up with? and what trimming was necessary?

I'm seriously looking at kings, though I might go all-out with my 2.5s and do comp adjusters and internal bypasses. Goal is to keep it low for stock UCAs and I think the IBPs might help avoid harsh bump-stop incidents.

I am off to see the folks at Dissent in a few weeks for bumpers, armor, and sliders.

Wow, road trip from MN to CA for sick bumpers! Are you going to rent a car for a few days during install?

Air tank for re-inflation. No power demand, no moving parts. Yes it's not an infinite supply of air, but I don't need an infinite supply.

Here's a cool little trick: max out your spare tire with the psi on the sidewall (my 305/70s can hold 75psi). Then, you can use these to make your spare tire an air tank...

Closed flow air chuck

edit: looks like you can hold 80psi in those LT285/75/172

Last edited:
Wow, road trip from MN to CA for sick bumpers! Are you going to rent a car for a few days during install?

Here's a cool little trick: max out your spare tire with the psi on the sidewall (my 305/70s can hold 75psi). Then, you can use these to make your spare tire an air tank...

Closed flow air chuck

edit: looks like you can hold 80psi in those LT285/75/172

My parents are in Napa, so I am "sheltering in place" there. : )

I can get one Oztent in the Thule. Two is really close but I haven't been able to close it. Two tents can be strapped between the Thule and awning which leaves the Thule for sleeping bags, air mattresses, pillows, clothes. The tents are too long to go inside the truck

Do you have a picture of the oztents on the factory rack? I have an RV5 and am trying to figure out how to carry it. I am concerned about the effect of having all of the weight supported in two places (cross bars) and the effect it has on the aluminum frame. Would at least want to spread it out more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom