sticky speedo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i took my inst. cluster out to see why nothing worked. everything looked very nice and clean except one of the studs for the amp meter was rusty. so i guess i will just clean those and the wire conections and go on.

any way, after finnaly getting the needle of the speedo ( i kinda tweeked it out of shape) i decided to stop there and see if i could just get it to turn and see if every thing worked wright. i found a allen wrench that fit in where the cable goes to see if it would turn and it was siezed up. worked it back and forth a little and got it freed up.

i was just going to spray a little brake kleen lubricant in there but thought i would get some imput from you guys on the best way to lube it.

do need to take it all the way apart to do this wright? (the inside of the speedo is very cleen and still has grease on all the gears)

or will the brake kleen or some other lube work just spraying it in there?

brake kleen is a degreaser/solvent to clean oil off of brake shoes/pads, not a lubricant. Not sure what it would do to the plastic speedo parts, if anything, besides remove all grease.

handcannon said:
brake kleen is a degreaser/solvent to clean oil off of brake shoes/pads, not a lubricant. Not sure what it would do to the plastic speedo parts, if anything, besides remove all grease.

Yes, but it is also a brand that makes a wide range of aerosol sprays including lubricant....

So.... Ortayga, is it the brand of lube or is it in fact degreaser?

Only familiar with the degreaser. Always looking for more info. Thanks Hawk.

brake kleen, not brake cleaner. it penetrates and lubricates and keeps things from rusting and getting gunky like some oils and grease do. works super good for guns, especially auto loaders.

i'll try it and let you know.
sure it can't hurt anything, i was just checking with you more experienced people.

LPS-2 is a spray lube that's not greasy, made to use on locks. You can get it from a locksmith shop and maybe home depot.

i haven't seen that before. thanks for the info.

ortayga said:
brake kleen, not brake cleaner. it penetrates and lubricates and keeps things from rusting and getting gunky like some oils and grease do. works super good for guns, especially auto loaders.

i'll try it and let you know.
sure it can't hurt anything, i was just checking with you more experienced people.

It's cool, hope it works out well for ya, let us know. :)

speedo gears and things

Just rebuilt three speedometers, got one to work. Seems whatever toyota used as lubricant when they assembled those things dries out and becomes glue! When they sit for years they just lock up. I practiced on the first one , had stripped gears on the second but was able to combine that with the third and some teflon baseed grease from my lionel trains to get one that works. just take your time, claean off all the old grease, and dont lose any of those little number wheels. good luck

LPS-2 is a wax based lubricant, i have a buddy who is a locksmith and that is all he uses. he says not to use the normal dry graphite type lock lubricants because in a humid or cold enviroment they absorb moisture and turn into gunk and will sease the lock up eventually. just my .02

sorry butt i made a mistake. i meant to say BREAK FREE. not BRAKE KLEEN. sorry for any confusion.

butt after reading all the responses i think i will just completely take it apart and clean all the old grease out and bee done with it , good time to do it since i have to save some funds to fix the PO's SOA, do power stearing , front disc, you know all that good stuff.
LPS-2

probably use some LPS-2, or something like it after reading your stuff. thanks for the info.

See my speedo bounces around all the time. It bounces between 20, and 40. They are big bounces.. anyone know how to fix it?

7.62 said:
See my speedo bounces around all the time. It bounces between 20, and 40. They are big bounces.. anyone know how to fix it?

New cable. Or at least check the old one for being bound up and grease it.

i drove mine once down the road and back when i first got it, realized the speedo didn't work, and the brakes are #$&%*& up. so the first thing i did was check the cable. it is fine. then i stuck just the speedo on the cable in the engine compartment, hung it over the side, and reached under to turn the cable by hand before using a drill. it was stuck.

know the question is since the cable was hooked up at both ends but the speedo wouldn't turn, and cable is not broke, something was spinning some where else and not braking the speedo cable. wondering if the little box on the tranny is messed up. does this sound wright or is there something i am not understanding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom