Sticky hand-crank windows - 1984 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. My hand-crank windows on my ‘84 FJ60 are pretty hard to operate, especially the driver’s window. It’s a great workout, but I’m actually going for tone, not bulk, right now. So I’d like to fix it. My hunch is the window felts should be replaced (see photo). Should I keep an eye out for other sources of this issue? Also, any resources out there on how to tackle this project? A basic Google didn’t give me much in the way of specifics. Thanks!

22AE54CC-836A-4FEB-8C4C-C60D54314FC7.jpeg

An old regulator can make cranking harder too.
I had replaced the window regulator years ago (like 10 years ago) because the gears had worn to the point that sometimes it would skip when cranking hard trying to get the window up. I had to use both hands - one lifting the glass, while the other cranked the handle.

When I got the new regulator installed, the window was soooo much easier to roll up. Easy to do with just the crank.
So my hard cranking was because of the worn out regulator. I didn’t touch the felts or anything else at all. Didn’t need to.

An old regulator can make cranking harder too.
I had replaced the window regulator years ago (like 10 years ago) because the gears had worn to the point that sometimes it would skip when cranking hard trying to get the window up. I had to use both hands - one lifting the glass, while the other cranked the handle.

When I got the new regulator installed, the window was soooo much easier to roll up. Easy to do with just the crank.
So my hard cranking was because of the worn out regulator. I didn’t touch the felts or anything else at all. Didn’t need to.
Interesting. I’m not having any trouble with skipping, just a ton of resistance at the crank. Maybe I can take the regulator out to assess its condition? Or just clean and regrease it?

At the very least, grease it’s friction points. Can’t hurt to try. While the manual says to apply grease to the turning gear, I found that it made engagement more slippery and the gear would slip out of the other. But my gear teeth were very worn.

Take door panel off and spray lube the moving joints and lower felt tracks and lithium grease the gears . I did this and it’s worlds different!

Or take door panels off, pull regulators for a thorough clean and lube and reassemble.

When I got the new regulator installed, the window was soooo much easier to roll up.

Or take door panels off, pull regulators for a thorough clean and lube and reassemble.

Had the same issues on my '84 OP. The regulator on the drivers side finally quit and got stuck down. Replaced the regulator and the window rolled up and down with ease. Never touched the felts. Likely a good clean and re-grease as mentioned would solve your problems. I believe regulators are still available new from Toyota. At least they were when I had mine replaced. But again likely cleaning and re-greasing would help you here.

I had the same issue on my ‘62. I took the door panel off the DS front door. The glass guide that slides down inside the door (front) was out of its track and bunched up. I lubed the moving parts and replaced all rubber -and outer welts (inners we’re ok). Fixed my problem immediately and it stopped my glass from wobbling around when the window was rolled down. Did the same for ps door and also did the rears. All windows work very smoothly now.

I believe @Bullzi did a similar refurb recently that seemed pretty in depth (and will be my guide when I go to do it)

Got in there and did my best to clean and grease the regulator and lubed things up. Definitely an improvement!
Did you decide to replace the felt? I’m about to replace my front right regulator and figure I need all new window trim while I’m in there. Errythangs crusty. I’ll service all the other regulators like y’all have described too. Found front felt from Toyota but they don’t support the rear anymore. Need to find rear felt and sweeps/scrapers all around.

Did you decide to replace the felt? I’m about to replace my front right regulator and figure I need all new window trim while I’m in there. Errythangs crusty. I’ll service all the other regulators like y’all have described too. Found front felt from Toyota but they don’t support the rear anymore. Need to find rear felt and sweeps/scrapers all around.
No I just cleaned it up and greased it. Works a bit better, not perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom