Sticky clutch problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The clutch on my 84 Bj60 has an issue where as I’m letting it out it gets kinda stuck near the top, almost like my shoe is caught on carpet (It isn’t), and then it releases all of a sudden. Makes the Clutch pop and the action all jerky. I took the master cylinder off and it still does it, pushed the clutch push rod in from the cab by hand with the pedal disconnected and It still does it. Took the clutch booster off and took it apart and the cylinder in there doesn’t seem sticky at all, moves in and out freely.
What am I missing??

Why not replace the master and slave? Just north of $100US for the two components...

Does the pedal still have it's spring? What about the slave does it have the spring as well that brings the fork arm back?

You can also pull the inspection cover over the clutch and observe the action

Why not replace the master and slave? Just north of $100US for the two components...

Does the pedal still have it's spring? What about the slave does it have the spring as well that brings the fork arm back?
Yeah all parts seem to be there, I’m wondering if my cracked dust boot is letting in air when it shouldn’t or something? But yeah replacing parts isn’t expensive, just don’t want to if it’s something more simple

Is your throwout bearing hanging up on the transmission snout? I would pull the inspect cover and have someone exercise the clutch while you watch. I just noticed that you have a clutch booster, so that adds another part to the mix.

I take it you are describing a "grabbing" clutch. this from the FSM ...
1601481413944.png

I have a 87 fj60 and I replaced both my master and slave cylinder about 5 months ago. Last week I ran into this exact same problem. Have you found a solution to fix this problem?

I have a 87 fj60 and I replaced both my master and slave cylinder about 5 months ago. Last week I ran into this exact same problem. Have you found a solution to fix this problem?

no I haven’t dealt with it much yet. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the clutch booster, but the only fault I could find was the dust boot on the push rod that comes into the cab. It has a crack. I’m wondering if it has something to do with it. Let me know what you find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom