stereo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
160 watt maximum Pioneer Stereo and these features:

MP3/WMA disc playback with text display
A mini-jack for your MP3 player (you must use your MP3 player's interface to navigate and play your collection)
Built In Digital Sound Processing (DSP) Sound Equalization
Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) that adjusts the volume level to keep the sounds pumping when the cabin noise picks up during higher driving speeds
Satellite radio ready (XM and Sirius Satellite radio requires the installation and purchase of separate tuner)
Customizable screen

It's almost the exact radio and buttons in a scion.

Will navigation be an option?

If not, I will be disappointed. Why don't auto makers don't see the relation between off-roading and the need for a HQ nav system. So far, the Liberty is the only "affordable" off-road vehicle I found with nav as an option. Anyone know of other trucks?

Also, I hear a subwoofer a available. Optional or standard?

therealdeal said:
Will navigation be an option?

If not, I will be disappointed. Why don't auto makers don't see the relation between off-roading and the need for a HQ nav system. So far, the Liberty is the only "affordable" off-road vehicle I found with nav as an option. Anyone know of other trucks?

Also, I hear a subwoofer a available. Optional or standard?
I know what your saying, but in a way, I'd rather have an aftermarket upgradeable nav system, that is not tied in to the rest of the vehicle.

If you want navi/leather/carpet get a 4runner. Toyota stated this was a "low cost back to basics" rig.

btw, trollhole I have noticed in the past that the two radios look the same, how do you know for sure?

endobrian said:
If you want navi/leather/carpet get a 4runner. Toyota stated this was a "low cost back to basics" rig.

No leather, no carpet, no problem. BUT i would like a NAV option. To Firetruck's point an aftermarket one will work but personally I would rather have it integrated into the truck.

It comes down to different needs I guess, personally I do a lot of backpacking and finding in and out points is a lot easier with a NAV system.

Prewiring the truck takes little cost on Toyota's part and calling it an accessory instead of an option keeps it out of the model's price range calculation. Either way it probably isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
I'm not picking on you. But, it's just that kind of "luxo-inflation" that the LC and the 4runner have gone through for the last 15 years. Leather/carpet/navi today, tomorrow Soccer moms will want 4 doors on it...oh and a 3rd row, and don't forget the 500 pound lead weight as well.

As for the wiring...that's not a bad idea.

endobrian said:
I'm not picking on you. But, it's just that kind of "luxo-inflation" that the LC and the 4runner have gone through for the last 15 years. Leather/carpet/navi today, tomorrow Soccer moms will want 4 doors on it...oh and a 3rd row, and don't forget the 500 pound lead weight as well.

As for the wiring...that's not a bad idea.

Assuming the opening is the same for FJ and the 4 runner there is an aftermarket one that I have been assured by the local stereo shop will fit and look factory. There are also places that sell OEM units pulled from toyotas so there are options for getting one in there, though they will lack the integration a factory installed unit would.

Plus I am hesitent to install something that will get beat to a pulp when I take it off road. I'll just have to see what happens once the FJ launches.

avn5435.jpg

endobrian said:
btw, trollhole I have noticed in the past that the two radios look the same, how do you know for sure?

I'm not positive. But if you look at a scion head unit and the new fj the buttons are all the same (just in different placement) It even have some of the same logos wma, mp3. It doesn't take rocket science to know it is going to be the same thing.

Why would toyota design a totally new radio with the exact same format and size? It wasn't hard to put two and two together.

Yeah. It's very close. Hopefully this model will add iPod control as well. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll never have to listen to FM again.

looks like Toyota is addressing the GPS question as an accessory. Probably won't be an integrated NAV but a GPS with trip routing will work.

Look on the left side under accessory

auto-show-photos.asp

I read recently that the 2006 Scion stereos would accept an iPod into a dock in the center console and allow you to control the iPod using the stereo's controls. Sounds good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom