stereo tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a 2002 pioneer headunit that worked one way on the trip, then next time i started up it played the CD (showed the seconds ticking by), would play the tape (could hear it turning) but no sound was coming out of any speakers...

anyone got an idea what went caput... nothing was changed except turning the car and the head unit off, and then starting the car, and turning the head unit back on...

did it happen to rain on the way there? After we went to the beach and drove thru some rain, on the way home the head unit went out after one stop. the water leaking into thhe cab did it in.

i managed to cook off about 7 tracks on the pcb of my old pioneer #ahem#(experimenting). You should pull it and have a look, if it was to do with the speakers, you would think that at least one would work, but you head sounds fried. Unless you just have the volume turned down :slap:

no rain, no bumps (street driving) and i tried turning the vol up.

all speakers work (tested them with another head unit) and all the connections were good...

this p!sses me off, it's 1 year 3 months old, and i didn't use it for 6 months while i drove the 45 (it's in the 40)

so $400 / 9 months = about 40 bucks a month.........

take it back under warranty , should have 2 yrs being pioneer

protection circuitry will turn off ALL output even if only one speaker wire is shorted, so you won't get any sound if this happens.

I take it you tested the wiring in the truck with another head unit after the problem? Try bench testing the unit. Hook it directly to the battery, hook a known good speaker to the outputs. MAKE SURE none of the other outputs can short together or to anything else!!!! Tape them up to be sure ;)

Keep in mind that there could be an intermittant short in the wiring that didn't show up in your swap. Could take a bump or G's in a turn to short the wires out.

I'm assuming of course that you have the proper speaker impedance setup? IOW: only 4 4 ohm speakers hooked up? wrong impedance can cause problems as well.

Smell the @$$ end of the unit. Does it smell like burnt electronics. If you killed something it should smell pretty strong.

If the unit is bad, and your retailer can't help, call Pioneer a LOT. Squeaky wheel gets the grease ;)

I might know a little about how Pioneer operates.... could tell you more but would have to kill you :D

Sorry to hear about your issue, Hope your unit isn't kaput.

[quote author=Klunky Chris link=board=1;threadid=13140;start=msg121451#msg121451 date=1079368431]
protection circuitry will turn off ALL output even if only one speaker wire is shorted, so you won't get any sound if this happens.

I take it you tested the wiring in the truck with another head unit after the problem? Try bench testing the unit. Hook it directly to the battery, hook a known good speaker to the outputs. MAKE SURE none of the other outputs can short together or to anything else!!!! Tape them up to be sure ;)

Keep in mind that there could be an intermittant short in the wiring that didn't show up in your swap. Could take a bump or G's in a turn to short the wires out.

I'm assuming of course that you have the proper speaker impedance setup? IOW: only 4 4 ohm speakers hooked up? wrong impedance can cause problems as well.

Smell the @$$ end of the unit. Does it smell like burnt electronics. If you killed something it should smell pretty strong.

If the unit is bad, and your retailer can't help, call Pioneer a LOT. Squeaky wheel gets the grease ;)

I might know a little about how Pioneer operates.... could tell you more but would have to kill you :D

Sorry to hear about your issue, Hope your unit isn't kaput.
[/quote]

What he said! :D

Or do what I do: buy the cheapest Sony that has the minimum features you can live with. 8)

all my speakers are wired right, with the right impedance... haven't had the heart to pull it out yet (cruiser and i are 4 hours apart generally) and it's a pioneer head unit to run my stacker, so a sony isn't the answer.

Pioneer's web site (warrenty card is with the cruiser) said warrenty is 1 year...

I know the wiring did work with the head unit previously in there, haven't tried it since.

@$$ end didn't smell fryed

nothing for it then...
gotta pull it to see what's up.

check all your speaker wires for a short with an ohmeter.

hopefully you'll find something amiss.

usually, if you fry it it stinks bad. protection circuitry helps with the small stuff. its the big stuff that gets them these days. that ends up smelling ;)

do the bench test so you *know* it isnt something in the truck.

if all else fails, drive it to my place and i'll help ya fix it! :D

beat on the dash........it might not help but will make you feel better :D

If in the off chance it's a Pioneer 'premium' unit the warrenty = two years.

is there an internal fuse in these things, i know about the one on the back (and obviously the one between the battery and the head unit).

how do you repair this "protection circuitry?"

and i'm in aust, so no driving to anyones place without a realy big snorkle

no, no internal fuse. (that I know of)

protection circuitry is either working and you need to find the short/problem to get back to working order, or it has been overcome and the outputs (amp) are toast. (expensive repair)

If you have power and lights and the CD is counting down like it's playing, but no sound, the problem is where we are talking.

there's no use worrying about it until you get it out and look at it.

good luck and keep us posted when you get a chance to take a look.

so the circuits will "reset" if i rewired it, with everything working fine, and everything else is fine.

got you.

now i wish i had that cruiser with me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom