Stereo Systems for a 100 series?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I assume you mean a double DIN?

What features are you looking for? Android Auto? Apple Car? Bluetooth hands free comms? Backup camera integration? DVD? NAV?

Do you have a budget?

Are you installing yourself or having it installed?

Bypassing factory amp or using the factory amp?

I just finished installing a Kenwood DMX-7706S. I went with this unit because all we really do any more with our audio is stream through our phones. We also use Waze/Google Maps, so the wireless Android Auto and Apple Car integration was a nice feature. I went ahead and purchased the Kenwood CMOS-230 rear view camera with it. I also replaced the door speakers with some Rockford Fosgates. Crutchfield's wiring harnesses and Toyota speaker brackets made the install a snap. Their tech support was very helpful as well.

What features are you looking for? Android Auto? Apple Car? Bluetooth hands free comms? Backup camera integration? DVD? NAV?

Do you have a budget?

I just finished installing a Kenwood DMX-7706S. I went with this unit because all we really do any more with our audio is stream through our phones. We also use Waze/Google Maps, so the wireless Android Auto and Apple Car integration was a nice feature. I went ahead and purchased the Kenwood CMOS-230 rear view camera with it. I also replaced the door speakers with some Rockford Fosgates. Crutchfield's wiring harnesses and Toyota speaker brackets made the install a snap. Their tech support was very helpful as well.
Thank you for the info. Its very helpful!!

Currently working through the same process however I am probably the odd man out that has had good luck with the Chinese headunits. I previously had a JOYING Auto 7" single din unit in my FJ60 and it was a nice unit with a pretty easy install. Everything worked flawlessly however I did have an issue about a year after purchase.

I figured that it coming from China I was out the $300+ for the unit but shot their support an email. Much to my surprise they were super responsive, and in the end they shipped me an UPGRADED main unit (not the screen) for a small charge (charge was for shipping an customs which they ended up refunding 3/4 of it when everything was up and running properly).

I have been talking with their support team and the two models for my 98 LC that they have said should be a direct fit are as follows;
- 7" 1024x600 double-din (which would be a direct fit), or
- 8" 1280x720 double-din (which would have a bit of a gap where the screen extends out)

Been going back and forth on the two units as the 7" would keep a bit of the more "90s" style with the rheostat volume knob and buttons but it would be nice to have the slightly bigger screen too.

I have also been looking at this 7" 1280x720 double-din but the screen surround with the physical buttons is larger and thus would require some modification to the dash surround. Reason I like this one is the higher resolution and it accepts their newer AHD camera, whereas the other 7" does not.

I recently installed this. I wanted wireless Apple CarPlay and this one had it. I'm using the factory amp with Pioneer speakers. It all sounds great and works properly. Installation wasn't too bad except for running the wires for the mic and GPS.

I recently installed this. I wanted wireless Apple CarPlay and this one had it. I'm using the factory amp with Pioneer speakers. It all sounds great and works properly. Installation wasn't too bad except for running the wires for the mic and GPS.
Yeah those two are always the hardest to find the correct routing for. Where did you mount the mic and the GPS antenna? Mind showing pics?

Yeah those two are always the hardest to find the correct routing for. Where did you mount the mic and the GPS antenna? Mind showing pics?

I mounted the mic on top of the steering column housing, and the GPS in the left corner of the dash. I would be happy to post some pics tomorrow when I get off work.

Here's the pics as promised. The GPS in the left corner of the dash, and the mic on top of the steering column housing.

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

Nice... Do you feel like the Mic picks up any road noise or vibrations being on top of the steering column like that?

I really can't say yet. When I tested it with my dad on the other line, he said he could tell I was driving but he could still understand me. This was one of two recommended places in the Pioneer manual to mount it. The other recommended location was up on the sun visor.

I just installed a Amazon product ASIN B07DDDYM53 double din unit in my 06 direct fit and easy to install. they are very reasonably priced and have incredible costumer support and live updates. great reviews too.

I just installed ahttps://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-A6Y2721PRB-Android-Navigation-Stereo/dp/B07DDDYM53 double din unit in my 06 direct fit and easy to install. they are very reasonably priced and have incredible costumer support and live updates. great reviews too.

I just installed a Amazon product ASIN B07DDDYM53 double din unit in my 06 direct fit and easy to install. they are very reasonably priced and have incredible costumer support and live updates. great reviews too.
Interesting... you will have to let us know how you like it after a while of using.

I have this unit for couple month now
It works. What I don’t like is controls. It is what it is. Small clicky buttons for vol and tracks.

I wonder if there is control joystick similar to bmw idrive exists. That would make it much more ergonomic

Bluetooth audio from iPhone stops working once in a while and nothing seem to help. Rebooting both phone and unit, etc.

Then it starts work again, go figure

Having Torque with live obd data very nice
Stored maps and variety of gps apps is nice
Fm works good
Haven’t installed backup camera yet

Other than that its android with its advantages and shortcomings

Boot speed is excellent, not an issue

Bt phone audio quality crap, but that was expected. When I use it people know I am in a car. Same in Hondas we have/had. In my BMW it’s perfect. Mic mounted above head between sunvisor and top console

Do you have a budget?

Did you keep the factory amp or bypass it?

I finally caved in and will be installing a double din on my 2001 lx470 with mark levinson non-nav.

I choose the one below its pioneers 2019 flagship model for a great price, paid 480 shipped to me at abt.com

What i really wanted was android auto, and with this unit you even get wireless android auto which no new car currently supports so upgrading 2001 tech to maybe 2021 when possibly wireless android auto/car play makes its way into new cars since car companies are just now barely adopting wired android auto/carPlay.

Last edited:
I finally caved in and will be installing a double din on my 2001 lx470 with mark levinson non-nav.

I choose the one below its pioneers 2019 flagship model for a great price, paid 480 shipped to me at abt.com

What i really wanted was android auto, and with this unit you even get wireless android auto which no new car currently supports so upgrading 2001 tech to maybe 2021 when possibly wireless android auto/car play makes its way into new cars since car companies are just now barely adopting wired android auto/carPlay.

I have a 2019 Civic. It has wired Android auto. I am jealous of the new system we just installed in our 2000. The wireless Android auto is definitely a nice enhancement. I think you will enjoy this unit once you get it installed.

Interesting... you will have to let us know how you like it after a while of using.
It has been a month since I installed it. It works great. No complaints. I will add, that My 100 is a HDJ-100 diesel and this market (central america) did not have an amp or nav from factory so the install was very easy. The fit was great and I imagine it took about 2 hours all in.

It has been a month since I installed it. It works great. No complaints. I will add, that My 100 is a HDJ-100 diesel and this market (central america) did not have an amp or nav from factory so the install was very easy. The fit was great and I imagine it took about 2 hours all in.

Ah ok... that makes things super easy when installing. Pretty sure that all 100 series in the US had some sort of amp installed due to the "larger" sound system even in the base models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom