Step-Build (Incremental Engine Build) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Given the cost of a full-on rebuild (or new build), I'm now thinking to:

Get a new block assembly...
Add whatever new parts (and non-wearing reusable parts like oil pan and NLA injector rail) will be unreachable (or a real PITA to reach) after installation...
Attach the rest of the working parts from the current engine...
Install the ‘new’ engine and...
Replace the rest of the parts as funds allow.

This gives me all-new internals (except perhaps the head, depending) from the get-go, and puts the engine in the vehicle much quicker than a build-it-all-and-then-install approach (which requires mad cheddar up front).

So, questions:

Which new/refreshed engine components do I need to pull together for the initial install, figuring the engine isn't coming out again?

and

Which NON-engine components should I swap out or refresh--and what work should I perform--while the old engine is out and before the new one goes in?

For example: replace engine mounts, install supercharger pulley, cut off top of wiring harness loop on back of engine and (if possible) drill or weld for zip-ties.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Who knows? I don't want to guess. Coming up on 250k, PO neglected everything else so it's a safe bet he did the same with the engine. I want to S/C but can't (okay; won't) do that when I don't know the history. HG leaking, I've been using distilled water in the rad, engine runs lean. I want to feel comfortable getting in and driving offroad or coast to coast with no worries. So: engine, cooling, drivetrain, brake and steering systems first. Everything else is secondary.

Who knows? I don't want to guess. Coming up on 250k, PO neglected everything else so it's a safe bet he did the same with the engine. I want to S/C but can't (okay; won't) do that when I don't know the history. HG leaking, I've been using distilled water in the rad, engine runs lean. I want to feel comfortable getting in and driving offroad or coast to coast with no worries. So: engine, cooling, drivetrain, brake and steering systems first. Everything else is secondary.
You could get a good running used long block and do a simple rebuild. Reuse pistons and rods. Have a machine shop hone it but not bore it. New bearings, new rings, seals, timing chain, rebuild head, port and polish head yourself. Motor mounts can be done later as funds allow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom