Steering wheel alignment slips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cascadeclimbs.com
Just a question on steering wheel alignment. I haven't gone wheeling for a while and thinking back to items of concern I remember a couple times I was out and ran up against a stump, log, or boulder I got back on the road to find my steering wheel was out of alignment. What could this be? Where should I zero in on to find the loose member? I've noticed some threads in here about stock steering stabilizers but mine seems to be missing in action or was removed when the previous owner had a power steering install done. Should there be one to minimise my problem here

A steering stabilizer has nothing to do with alignment, or keeping the steering on the truck aligned.

I would verify that your drag link, the connection between the steering gear pitman arm and tie rod is strait and not damaged. I would also look at the pitman arm where it attaches to the steering gear splines to verify that the splines are not twisted, as I have seen this on a couple gears in the past. I would also make sure that the pitman arm itself is not slightly bent. I am replacing one on a customer’s truck this spring when it gets out of storage because of this very issue. Something else to look at would be the steering shaft to make sure it has not twisted at any of the connections, or between them.

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
A steering stabilizer has nothing to do with alignment, or keeping the steering on the truck aligned.

I would verify that your drag link, the connection between the steering gear pitman arm and tie rod is strait and not damaged. I would also look at the pitman arm where it attaches to the steering gear splines to verify that the splines are not twisted, as I have seen this on a couple gears in the past. I would also make sure that the pitman arm itself is not slightly bent. I am replacing one on a customer’s truck this spring when it gets out of storage because of this very issue. Something else to look at would be the steering shaft to make sure it has not twisted at any of the connections, or between them.

Good luck!

-Steve

Hmmm,
I don't suppose you can you help me with the names? Shaft/spline from steering box connects to Link #1 (Name - Pitman arm?)
Link#1 (Pitman arm?) connects to a long link#2 (name - Relay rod?) that runs to the front right wheel and tees off to the Link#3 that connects to the wheel (name -knuckle arm?) and a long link #4 that runs over to the left front wheel (name - Tie rod?).
These all look undamaged to me but I see no drag link as my Haynes book shoes. I'll give a couple pictures to have a look at below.

Poser said:

Good luck!

-Steve

Some more. I don't see where the stabilizer would go????

I assume that is a Saginaw box right above me. If so, you do not have a drag link-Poser would not have known this without seeing your pics, he was more than likely thinking stock steering. So, all you really have is a PS box, a realy rod and a tie rod. The Pitman arm is on the PS box above me. The Pitman arm connect to the relay rod which connects to the tie rod.

I am not really following your question i.e. it seems as if you really do not have a current issue but you are just wondering about possibilities. True?

Jukelemon said:
I assume that is a Saginaw box right above me. If so, you do not have a drag link-Poser would not have known this without seeing your pics, he was more than likely thinking stock steering. So, all you really have is a PS box, a realy rod and a tie rod. The Pitman arm is on the PS box above me. The Pitman arm connect to the relay rod which connects to the tie rod.

I am not really following your question i.e. it seems as if you really do not have a current issue but you are just wondering about possibilities. True?

The problem I'm having is that the steering wheel seems to slip out of alignment when I go wheeling and crawl over logs or glance off a boulder and I'm not talking very hard either. So I get back on the road, everything tracks all right but the steering wheel is crooked. I get home unbolt it and put it straight and all is good until next time. What the heck is slipping? Nothing looks bent, twisted, or mangled down there. Perhaps its just the spline from the gearbox but I haven't tried to tighten anything up yet. Are there any other places in the steering that would allow the steering wheel to go out of alignment?

pwelco said:
Are there any other places in the steering that would allow the steering wheel to go out of alignment?

I've experienced this same problem and have come to the conclusion after checking all the "normal" stuff like knuckle arms, pitam arm, draglink and tierod, rod-ends, steering box mounts, etc that my problem was worn out spring bushings and shackles.

Basically, if the axle position moves side to side in relation to the frame then your steering wheel will have to move left or right to compensate for this movement in order to maintain the same steering direction.

Also, anything else that would cause the axle to move side to side could cause this including loose u-bolts and broken spring center pins.

Also, if you air down for off-roading, make sure you have equal left-to-right pressure in the tires after you air back up.

OK. I am with you now.

Are you checking your relay rod length and tie rod length measurements when this happens/has happened? That would be a very good starting point. If they are static in variance, then it certainly points to another source.

Excellent stuff here. Fortunately I have new springs, shackles and shocks on the way via a 4" lift kit so that should eliminate the worn out issue. I'll also take some measurements and of course run through all and make sure it is all tightened up when I do the install.

Thanks for the input!!!

Jukelemon said:
...you do not have a drag link...

I am not really following your question i.e. it seems as if you really do not have a current issue..

" when the previous owner had a power steering install done "

Funny, I assumed that it had a sag conversion... :)

I have been told that a relay rod and a drag link serve the same function, to connect and transfer motion from a steering piece to the wheels, either directly to the steering arm on the knuckle, or like some LAnd Cruisers, to the tie rod.

I could be all wet though, I am certain that someone far more informed will set me strait.....

In the picture of the pitman arm, it looks as though it curves to the passenger side. This should not be this way. If it is bent, you have probably found your issue.

Good luck!

-Steve

I am not a fan of the pitman arms that are sold with the conversion components. Not because they are the same thing that is used on the CJ’s, but because they are not very stout; I have snapped one right where it attaches to the gear, right down the spline section. I have a customer’s truck at the shop right now that we did a conversion on a few years back, and he made a comment about the steering wheel not being strait. After looking at it last fall, we found that the pitman arm is bent, and that is what has made his steering wheel not be centered.

I have a significantly stronger/thicker pitman arm on my steering gear. I picked it up at a local race/speed shop. I have no idea what it was removed from, but I was told that it is a GM piece that is of course, no longer available..

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
" when the previous owner had a power steering install done "

Funny, I assumed that it had a sag conversion... :)

I have been told that a relay rod and a drag link serve the same function, to connect and transfer motion from a steering piece to the wheels, either directly to the steering arm on the knuckle, or like some LAnd Cruisers, to the tie rod.

I could be all wet though, I am certain that someone far more informed will set me strait.....

In the picture of the pitman arm, it looks as though it curves to the passenger side. This should not be this way. If it is bent, you have probably found your issue.

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser,

I'll take a closer look at the pitman arm tonight at home. I presume it should be straight. I would also like to know if a steering stabilizer would help protect the linkage and where it would attach. Does anyone have a similar setup with a photo to boot?

A steering stab. will not 'protect' anything other than your thumb being ripped from your hand in the event that you have it inside the wheel when it takes off spinning because you hit something....but your hands should not be there to begin with... ;)

You would need to get an aftermarket stabilizer, and this would attach between the axle housing and the tie rod, on the drivers side...but agian, this WILL NOT 'protect' anything...

I have a 'similar' set up...but do not run a stab.

Good luck!

-Steve

ShopKam10-25-03-29.jpg

Poser said:
A steering stab. will not 'protect' anything other than your thumb being ripped from your hand in the event that you have it inside the wheel when it takes off spinning because you hit something....but your hands should not be there to begin with... ;)

You would need to get an aftermarket stabilizer, and this would attach between the axle housing and the tie rod, on the drivers side...but agian, this WILL NOT 'protect' anything...

I have a 'similar' set up...but do not run a stab.

Good luck!

-Steve

ShopKam10-25-03-29.jpg

Nice picture angle and thanks, I didn't want to buy a stab anyway. Your right in that your pitman arm looks a lot more stout than mine does (No pun intended!). When you talk about mine may be bent and causing the problem, do you mean it bends a little more each time my steering wheel is out of alignment because it has been weakened?

Paul

Paul-

"When you talk about mine may be bent and causing the problem, do you mean it bends a little more each time my steering wheel is out of alignment because it has been weakened? "

Bingo!

It looks like it is twisted too just a bit....

Good luck!

-Steve

Just for the hell of it, here is another pic of a different truck that I put Luke Porters(4x4labs) Hysteer kit on, along with a hydro assist unit...

RamRod-4.jpg

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
Just for the hell of it, here is another pic of a different truck that I put Luke Porters(4x4labs) Hysteer kit on, along with a hydro assist unit...

RamRod-4.jpg

Good luck!

-Steve

NICE!!! Clean too!! Headed home for a beer and to have a look.

Cheers and I'll get back to ya on what I find out.

When you check your tie rods and all your steering parts- make sure your wheels are off the ground so there isnt any tension on the system. Check your tie rods especially, as well as your wheel bearings and steering arms. I had a loose tie rod bolt on the passenger side (thread had stripped) and was getting the same results you are. Steering would be fine, then I could hit a bump or something, and the wheel would be off by 10*. I couldnt figure out the problem until I had the axle up on jack stands.

-Dustin

Thanks Dustin, I'll make sur eand check what you suggest when I have it up next weekend.

Steve,
Now with beer in hand here is a straight down shot that shows the pitman arm bowing towards the passenger side. It almost looks like it is supposed to be that way in it's a nice curve throughout the arm. Anyway what do you guys think?

Paul
pitman0003.JPG
pitman0004.JPG

JUNK ARM JUNK ARM PERIOD

;)

Get yourself a new one, center your steering wheel again, and you will be good to go. Oh, and don't waste your time with a pitman arm puller other than a Snap On.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom