Steering Spindle (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 95 and repacked the steering knuckles. I noticed that the bronze bushing in one of the steering spindles has been turning in the spindle. It's supposed to be pressed in. I didn't think it was an emergency so put it back together but ordered a new part from ToyotaParts.com. The new part has a combination bronze bushing and needle bearing (i.e. very small rollers). Before I take the knuckle apart I just wanted to confirm that this part is an inkind replacement with a design upgrade. Anybody been down this path?

I was concerned that the ID of the spindle may have been machined out so that I wouldn't get a good press fit if I bought only a new bushing. The bushing is like 70 USD but the bushing and spindle assembly is 200 USD. I didn't want to buy a bushing then discover I had to then get the bushing spindle assembly.

Thanks for your reply, malcolm

$200 isn't a bad deal for the spindle/bushing/bearings... I would rather have more than enough parts to do the job...

Any pics of the bushing "turning into the spindle"?

I'm planning on going to the new style spindle on the next axle rebuild. The brass bushings will have @160k on them. I've already had a problem with one going dry and it seems that in a AWD setup and the shafts turning constantly that the needle bearings are worth the expense.

I could see galling type marks where the shaft had grabed the bushing and spun it. The inner seal leaked and 90w apparently washed the grease out of the knuckle. Now I look at the knuckes for signs of oil leakage. I'll put the bearing spindle in and let you know how it went.

I installed the new spindle in my 95 and it seems to work fine. The new variety has a bearing in it rather than just the bushing. It runs fine and a minor clunk I had on occasion seems to have has gone away. It took about 2 hours to change it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom