Steering shaft seal replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

steffan

SILVER Star
Threads
since i still don't have a garage to work out of i find all the little things that can be fixed cheaply an easily. did this to my 80 series a while ago so it was one of the first things i looked at when i was cleaning things up.

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

the cover simply pulls off and leaves the seal exposed with 2x 10mm nuts holding it in place. one 12mm bolt holds the upper steering column on to the shaft.

IMG_0621.jpg

pull up the cover to expose the rag joint, 2x more 12mm bolts and nuts (or was it 14mm?) remove and the shaft can be slid forward. you can see where the paint was worn off from the missing upper seal

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

30 minutes later, a nice, sealed cabin..... at least more sealed, i still have some rotten grommets to take care of.

IMG_0624.jpg

Thanks!! Hadn’t seen this one.

hiya. Can i do this if my knuckle attached to rack and pinion gets stuck on? All of the bolts on knuckle are stripped and I am trying to remove rack and pinion.
1611177419107.png

Uh, I think there is a communication problem. I'm not looking at a rack and pinion. I'm also not looking at a knuckle. I'm looking at the steering shaft rag joint attachment to the steering box. The only thing I see is a loose nut on the stud.

right. The steering box or whatever is attached to the rack and pinion. in order to lower it i need it discod. The pic is from a slightly diff model. Going from drivers side wheel well I am unable to detach this shaft from the knuckle.
1611187942598.png

numbers 2 3 and 4 all stuck. and 4 is attached to rack and pinion.

Im asking if I can detach 2 from inside truck where pedals go to drop 2 3 and 4 with rap

right. The steering box or whatever is attached to the rack and pinion. in order to lower it i need it discod. The pic is from a slightly diff model. Going from drivers side wheel well I am unable to detach this shaft from the knuckle.
View attachment 2559727
numbers 2 3 and 4 all stuck. and 4 is attached to rack and pinion.

Im asking if I can detach 2 from inside truck where pedals go to drop 2 3 and 4 with rap
I think you are in the wrong forum. Pre=1995 trucks didn't have rack and pinion steering. Tacomas and Gen3 4Runners did. What are you working on?

Grrr - stuck on this. All reassembled, but the last bolt, that needs to grab the threaded receiver and lock into the steering shaft knurls is ***t. Can’t get it to take and I’ve stripped the bolt end trying. I think I had this same problem with the similar joint in the other side of the firewall when I redid my steering. The reach here makes it worse though - arghh!!!

Grrr - stuck on this. All reassembled, but the last bolt, that needs to grab the threaded receiver and lock into the steering shaft knurls is f***t. Can’t get it to take and I’ve stripped the bolt end trying. I think I had this same problem with the similar joint in the other side of the firewall when I redid my steering. The reach here makes it worse though - arghh!!!
Now I remember - there’s a groove in the shaft it fits into - put the tapered bolt in BEFORE you make up the rag joint bolts, it’s easy then. Just had to rage post before I could figure it out, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom