Steering rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2003 facelift landcruiser 100 uk mode,I was looking at new steers racks , roughtrax do them for this model then state not suitable for vgrs . As far as I know all facelift models had vgrs and it’s a separate unt anyway. Can someone shed some light on this
Thanks

I have a 2003 facelift landcruiser 100 uk mode,I was looking at new steers racks , roughtrax do them for this model then state not suitable for vgrs . As far as I know all facelift models had vgrs and it’s a separate unt anyway. Can someone shed some light on this
Thanks

In the US models, only the 2003+ Lexus LX has VGRS, the Toyota LC models did not. When I last looked into it, you had the early 1998-2002 racks with one mounting system, the later 2003-2007 racks with a different mounting system, and different gear ratios between the VGRS, and non-VGRS (2003-2007) racks.

I have seen posts of people using the non-VGRS racks in VGRS equipped vehicles, because of availability and price, but I do have to wonder how it might affect the VGRS, and VSC calculations that the ECUs are making.

In the US models, only the 2003+ Lexus LX has VGRS, the Toyota LC models did not. When I last looked into it, you had the early 1998-2002 racks with one mounting system, the later 2003-2007 racks with a different mounting system, and different gear ratios between the VGRS, and non-VGRS (2003-2007) racks.

I have seen posts of people using the non-VGRS racks in VGRS equipped vehicles, because of availability and price, but I do have to wonder how it might affect the VGRS, and VSC calculations that the ECUs are making.
Thanks I know in uk the landcruiser Amazon was basically a Lexus with the Toyota badge so it’s going to be a tricky one I really appreciate your information

Thanks I know in uk the landcruiser Amazon was basically a Lexus with the Toyota badge so it’s going to be a tricky one I really appreciate your information
An easy way to tell on a U.S. model, is the VGRS light that appears on the dash, after you disconnect/reconnect the battery.

VGRS equipped LX, have a large boot covering the mechanical unit under the dash. Which all 2003-07 USA models do.

VGRS lock washer.JPEG

Call any Lexus dealer, with VIN #. They can tell you, if the VGRS snap ring recall work has been done. It is very dangerous to drive if not done. Below is one, that snap ring popped off.
VGRS lock washer C.jpg

Is that correct, that only LX has VGRS in 2003+ models? When I read the Slee model feature overview page at following URL, the reference to introduction of variable gear does not specify LX only and I assumed applied to both makes.

Slee's 100-series model feature overview

Is that correct, that only LX has VGRS in 2003+ models? When I read the Slee model feature overview page at following URL, the reference to introduction of variable gear does not specify LX only and I assumed applied to both makes.

Slee's 100-series model feature overview
It is my understanding, that outside the US, some 2003-2007 Land Cruisers did get VGRS, but inside the US, it was only the 2003-2007 LX. It could be that Christo pulled his model year changes from an international source, or intended it to be directed at an international audience.

Notice that in the NHTSA VGRS recall, they mention that US market LX are included in the recall, but US market LC are not:

If USA LC had VGRS, we could order VGRS rack. We can't unfortunately!
LX 03-07 (Black paint) Lexus only parts.
LC 03-07 rack green paint Toyota sells.
LC/LX 98-02 racks, have blue paint both Toyota & Lexus sell.

So does anyone know the part number for the vgrs steering rack

You're UK, so could be different than we use in USA market. Try your VIN # at Lexus, or if you've LC at Toyota. Or www.partsouq.com They're my go to software for PN#, very accurate and up to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom